Join Early Retirement Today

Did ER or even just plain R make you healthier?
Old 09-29-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did ER or even just plain R make you healthier?

Since you have ER'ed or even just R'ed do you feel like you've developed a healthier lifestyle or do you feel like your health has improved from either more exercise, less stress or better diet or all of the above.

And if you haven't ER'ed or R'ed do you think it will make a difference when you do?

C___

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Did ER or even just plain R make you healthier?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:00 PM   #2

I semi-retired and the stress level went down from 10+ to about 2 or 3 (depending on the day), on a scale of 1 to 10. I used to work 7 days a week, longer than the total daylight hours in a day, probably doing the work of 4 people, multitasking.

Now it's a small fraction of that, and it has made a huge difference. Now I take long lunch breaks, naps, and vacations, spend more time with family, do lots of fun hobbies, cook my own food more often so I eat better, and do more walking.

I expect full retirement will be even sweeter, healthier, and even more stress-free.

Old 09-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere
Since you have ER'ed or even just R'ed do you feel like you've developed a healthier lifestyle or do you feel like your health has improved from either more exercise, less stress or better diet or all of the above.

And if you haven't ER'ed or R'ed do you think it will make a difference when you do?

C___
I'm still in the best shape of my life. Although I learned a couple weeks ago that on the fifth consecutive day of surfing you sure paddle slower.

Last week we entered our second tae kwon do tournament. There aren't too many adults with colored belts so I ended up sparring a guy who looks like Richard Rountree's taller brother. I kept measuring the range with my chin so I lost 2-0, but after two one-minute rounds the guy was blowing hard & shaking like a leaf. A third round would have put him on the mat before I could have reached him, and yet I was barely beginning to pop a sweat. At my age you don't expect to be in better shape than your martial arts opponents but it happens in a fair portion of my matches. I guess our dojang's physical conditioning program has really paid off. Next month we're going to a Maui tournament where I hope to meet the guy again. I'll be ready.

But it's all of the above. First you spend a couple weeks catching up on your sleep. Then, when you regain an interest in your environment, you start to exercise. Around the second week of that you realize that it's fun and, better yet, there's no stress in your life! In between workouts you notice that you're eating a lot of junk and that you actually have time to prepare the healthy stuff. Before you know it your BP has dropped 20-30 points, your cholesterol has dropped by a third or more, you've dropped 10-20 pounds, your pulse rate has dropped 10-20 bpm, and you walk around all day with a contented smile...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:08 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
First you spend a couple weeks catching up on your sleep.* Then, when you regain an interest in your environment, you start to exercise.* Around the second week of that you realize that it's fun and, better yet, there's no stress in your life!* In between workouts you notice that you're eating a lot of junk and that you actually have time to prepare the healthy stuff.* Before you know it your BP has dropped 20-30 points, your cholesterol has dropped by a third or more, you've dropped 10-20 pounds, your pulse rate has dropped 10-20 bpm, and you walk around all day with a contented smile...
Sounds sweet! All I have to do is kick my cash-flow addiction and I'm with you.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Sounds sweet!* All I have to do is kick my cash-flow addiction and I'm with you.
Well, when you ER the cashflow drops even faster than your pulse rate...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outtahere

C___
I'm convinced it will. I'm on the downslope (4 yrs or less) and 18 months ago switched jobs and location within the same company while DW did ER. Now eating much healthier, going to gym 4 nights a week straight after work, dinner on table when I get home. DW goes to gym during day and we both bike about 20 - 40 miles at weekends. Loving every minute of changed life style (also need to mention that we are now empty nesters and financial strings to kids cut, so hopefully no KIPPERS). Have dropped 40lbs, 6" around the waist and at last annual physical at age 50 which included stress test, Doc said he wished he had a resting heart rate in the forties. Excercise, non-impactive, also helping joints greatly. (over the years I have had surgery on foot, knee, lower back and both shoulders - history of arthritis in family so not surprising). DW has had similar experience and we are looking forward to the day when we are both ER'ed.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:58 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

ER has been healthier for me for a couple of reasons.

My stress level plummeted when I retired, so my blood pressure and weight dropped closer to healthier levels at about the same time.

I have exercised daily in the years since retirement now that I've much more free time and virtually no external deadlines.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM   #8

I exercised, even while working. But then, I always rushed through it. You know the drill, you get off work, stop at the gym on the way home, and hurry, so you can finish the day ... finally.

Now, it's 1-2 hours daily. No hurry. It's also a social event, as you see a lot of the same people each day. I believe that at 62, I'm in as good a shape as can be expected. And, of course, lots less stress with no deadlines, idiotic business meetings, or fighting everybody else in traffic getting to work.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:44 AM   #9

Emphatically no! But, certainly happier and more relaxed.
Frankly, I'd prefer better health and still being wired,
but you play the cards you are dealt.

JG