Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
OMG i assume every car is plugged in or in a garage?
Not in a garage unfortunately, but on the list to have ours rebuilt. The newer vehicle is 2 inches to tall for the original door. Guess we should have measured.

When we first lived here, 40+ years ago, we would dig a shelf out of the snow piles and drive the hood onto the pile. Helped to stop the wind. Then and now we lived in town and could walk to our destination.

Most of the older garages here have a definite lean. Ours has a 1" steel cable tensioning system to help keep the side from blowing out from the weight of the snow on the roof.
jimandthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2019, 07:37 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
HadEnuff: <b>“This is my first winter snowbirding, and I'm in The Villages, about an hour north of Orlando” </b>

May I ask how are liking the Villages so far? My sister took one of those try it out weeks and said it was Disneyland for old people?
The Villages is great for retired people who like a busy lifestyle and a lot of people. I prefer my Uncle's much smaller community on the west end of Leesburg. Close enough to visit The Villages as often as you want without dealing with the crazy crowds on a daily basis. Less expensive too.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We hate it so much we’re south 750 miles this year. It was -2F here this AM, enough of that. The new location averages 20F warmer in winter but only 5F warmer in summer. Annual average snow fall is 90% less than Chicagoland. Really looking forward to it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:27 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by footenote View Post
It's -27 F here in Central Minnesota this morning. (That's not the windchill. Just the temp.)
It's about the same up here.

Quote:
OMG i assume every car is plugged in or in a garage?
Virtually everyone up here has a block heater. I've taken it a step further and also have a battery tender that I plug in one or twice a week. That allows me to use the heated seats and heated steering wheel a lot without worrying about draining the battery.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

It has been plenty cold here in Southern VT this year. I keep the house at 67 degrees except my bedroom is at 55 degrees. Never think about it being a money thing, I just like to sleep in a cool environ. You can always pull on another sweat shirt or additional flannel pj pants.
And any warmer than about 70 degrees and the dogs pant
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I am pretty acclimated to our hot, humid, summery weather here in New Orleans. Sure, it gets colder in January and February, but usually only for a couple of days at a time. To me, "cold" is anything with a high below 65F.

Anyway, this year it has been no colder than usual for winter, but it has STAYED cold for longer! I haven't worn shorts and sandals since Monday and I am not happy about that. Just now I went out on my front porch to check for an Amazon delivery, and it is 52F out there. Brrrr. Utterly insane although at least there is no snow or ice like up north. I am glad I ordered some more warm, long pants from Land End that fit and that I got them yesterday.

The forecast is for cold weather until a week from Tuesday, and even then the high will just be 67F.

For me the disadvantages of living in New Orleans, like high crime and hurricane dangers, are usually balanced out by our amazing food, laissez faire "party on" attitudes towards life, reasonable cost of living, and hot weather. I love all of these and would put up with a lot for hot weather.

Hopefully we'll be back to shorts-and-sandals weather most of the time in two or three months. Then this summer I'll be complaining about the heat.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:56 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
This wimpy old guy likes his comforts, a warm house, warm coats, warm water, heated front seat.* Maybe that’s why I have triple pane windows, extra insulation in attic and two gas stoves to sit by.* Luxuries all, but I dont golf or buy fancy cars (occasionally I get a zoom zoom yen but it passes) or toys of any sort.

The old dog scratched at that front door way too early but I dutifully got up and walked her.*I went to bed early and already had my 7 hours. The truth is i am and always was a morning person. I went down stair and turned the heat up to 68 degrees on both the front rear gas stoves. It was only down to 61 degrees in the living room today, yesterday it was 58 - but it’s warmed up to 30 degrees outside it had been 10 degrees for the previous 2 days. The furnace and rear gas stove are set to 58 degrees after 11PM. I never hear them come on at night. I turn the front stove off. It gets chilly, when I come down and walk the pooch it takes a good 1/2 hour or more for the downstairs to warm up.

We’ve been turning down the heat for decades now- our “point of use” first floor gas stoves are amazingly efficient. I does however get chilly upstairs at night. We burrow under quilts and covers and narry an arm sticks out lest you feel the chill.

I’ve told friends we set the heat low at night and get some strange looks. I think a good many set it and forget it. Even sitting next to ‘her’ stove during the day the Mrs employs a ‘throw’ blanket nearly all the time. Only half way through the winter and I’m already done with it. I been told “I love the winter” I secretly think what is wrong with you?

The older I get the more i hate the cold...

I awoke to -10 plus a wind chill today. When it gets this cold it always makes me think, geez the folks who've never experienced this are really missing out!

You almost go into a survival mode in that cold of a temp. I can actually be out in 0 for a couple hours, but if there is a wind chill... fageddabawdit!!

I'll be in Sarasota next week, where there will be a difference of 70 degrees from take-off to landing. Yes, I said SEVENTY! It's like this most years I go down there. I get to florida and people say, "It's cold right now!" and I say, try to imagine 70 degrees colder. That's where I came from.
Old 01-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
This year I rented for January-March. Because I was doing the arranging while still up north, a year ago BTW, I went through an agency. By the time they got their share, I spend around 14K, and it included the use of a golf cart. It's a very nice place, not fancy at all, but nice. Plenty of room. Master BR with huge bath, shower and walk in closet, 2nd bath down the hall, next to two guest BRs. Very spacious kitchen, with dining area, large LR, smallish but adequate screened in "lanai"...more than enough space for the two of us and we may have one or two couples visit for a few days...

Once I got settled in I started searching for a slightly different place. This one is conveniently located, but a bit too close to a fairly noisy road, so I wanted something in a quieter neighborhood. I have arranged to rent it next year, December-March, 12,400, but I have to rent my own cart, which will set me back 1150. Nicer home, bigger, quieter...still convenient to most places I will want to get to.
Who rents these places out? I would have assumed that anyone that owned a place there would want it for those winter months? Are there many for rent?
bmcgonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Who rents these places out? I would have assumed that anyone that owned a place there would want it for those winter months? Are there many for rent?
There are a number of foreign investors that own multiple properties in Florida. The owners don't even live in the US and they reside back in China, Brazil,Russia etc. Some have someone on their payroll to manage their investments in the cities where they have real estate in.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
I'll be in Sarasota next week, where there will be a difference of 70 degrees from take-off to landing. Yes, I said SEVENTY! It's like this most years I go down there. I get to florida and people say, "It's cold right now!" and I say, try to imagine 70 degrees colder. That's where I came from.
I've once went from 85 to -35 when returning from Jamaica, a difference of 120 degrees...but that's what happens if you live in one of the coldest cities on the planet. I think our record low is -45C (-49F). Our coldest recorded wind chill was -57C (-71F)
Old 01-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

We have baseboard electric heat in each area. We turn down everything to 57 when we go to bed except for our bedroom. We close the door and it stays warm. The heat is expensive and since I am usually warm we set the heat at 68 during the day. It’s really expensive to rent in the villages. I was surprised when I looked.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #32
gone traveling

Every temperature listed below is for the coming week in NW Ohio. I just looked today at middle Tennessee (where I plan to buy a hobby farm for retirement) is between 20-25 degrees above every number below. I can't stand cold either !

Fri
Scattered Snow Showers
15°14°
Sat
Cloudy
22°18°
Sun
Cloudy
23°14°
Mon
Rain and Snow
38°17°
Tue
Cloudy
20°-6°
Wed
Cloudy
1°-11°
Thu
Partly Cloudy
3°-2°
Fri
Partly Cloudy
10°-3°
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:03 PM   #33

I don’t like to cold, but family is here so that’s where I’ll be. I can’t believe some of the temps folks here have posted. There’s no way I’d bring my house down into the low 60’s high 50’s at night. For me my furnace is set at 70 during the day and 68 at night. Going out in the cold is a not something I like, but as is discussed here often, it’s a lot easier to deal with as a retiree. I shovel the snow when I get around to it and if I don’t need to go out, I probably won’t. Similarly, when it’s a bit nicer (for winter), I can easily take advantage of it and get some things done without work getting in the way.

I’ve been looking into snowbirding but it’s expensive and DW helps not only our grandkids, but her mother with Alzheimer’s. Hard to bail on them for a month, let alone three months, but I’d sure like to give it a try.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I've once went from 85 to -35 when returning from Jamaica, a difference of 120 degrees...but that's what happens if you live in one of the coldest cities on the planet. I think our record low is -45C (-49F). Our coldest recorded wind chill was -57C (-71F)
One of my favorite memories from my time in suburban Chicago is waking up at 2 am with an outside temperature of -20F and hearing the haunting call of an owl in the huge tree that towered over my little house. I thought the owl was talking to me, saying, "You silly naked ape. Why are you hunkered down in that bed? I'm out here and doing just fine ..."
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I spent a couple of days in KC when it hit -22°F temperature. That's a very different type of cold. When I was a kid I worked in the woods and sawmills. Many times, the temperature would hit -15F, we would spend half a day getting machines running and be disappointed when pieces of steel would break in unreal ways.

I met a guy who was in our local springs when it was -22F. He said they encouraged him to wear a hat, otherwise his hair would freeze and break off!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #36
gone traveling

Quote:
And cars can start and run in these temps?
Old 01-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
And cars can start and run in these temps?
Everyone has a block heater, but most well maintained cars even when not plugged in will start at -35. -40 is pushing it though and even though we get -40 it's not that common. Every winter we will get 2 or 3 cold snaps of -30 or so for a week or more but we also get stretches of a few degrees below freezing.

Tonight and 5 of the next 6 days are forecasted for -30 or colder with the coldest being -36.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:21 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandthom View Post
[COLOR="Red"]

This must be what is coming our way. Expected to be -24 Sunday Morning.

I won't be out in shorts and t- shirts, but if the sun is shining, long sleeve t shirt and a comfy flannel will be plenty.

What we like about winter is that there are those special "warm" and sunny days. Same goes when spring starts to show. You can see the rebirth in the local fauna and you can feel it in yourself.
My wife is from the UP. Just looked at forecast. brrr now I know the real reason she married me 49 years ago. She wanted to move to where it was much warmer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brrrr.jpg (80.4 KB, 42 views)
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Ray, how is your old dog doing? Our 13 yo big guy is coming to a end.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:53 AM   #40
gone traveling

Quote:
Everyone has a block heater, but most well maintained cars even when not plugged in will start at -35. -40 is pushing it though and even though we get -40 it's not that common. Every winter we will get 2 or 3 cold snaps of -30 or so for a week or more but we also get stretches of a few degrees below freezing.

Tonight and 5 of the next 6 days are forecasted for -30 or colder with the coldest being -36.
Cars that are parked on the street or in an apartment sized general parking lot perhaps could be out of luck without access to an electrical socket. Jumper cables should be in every vehicle.