Did someone mention bacon?

This is amazing technology for the bacon lovers. :)
Here's an excerpt:
HOW: A frozen strip of bacon is placed in Wake n' Bacon the night before. Because there is a 10 minute cooking time, the clock is set to go off 10 minutes before the desired waking time. Once the alarm goes off, the clock it sends a signal to a small speaker to generate the alarm sound. We hacked the clock so that the signal is re-routed by a microchip that in responds by sending a signal to a relay that throws the switch to power two halogen lamps that slow-cook the bacon in about 10 minutes.

Most excellent!

The "10-minute" thing made me think of a way of cooking bacon that I saw on an Italian cooking show. They took two identical shallow oven pans ("jelly roll" pans. i.e., cookie sheets with rims) lined the bottom one w/parchment paper, and laid the bacon out. Then they nested the second pan on top of the bacon-laden pan, and popped the whole thing in the oven for 10 minutes. (I think at around 350F preheated but best keep an eye on it anyway until you grasp how the combination of your oven plus your bacon brand does with this).

Benefits: bacon comes out perfectly flat; no spattering around stove; no 'tending' once you have your times down.
Drawback: two greasy pans to clean rather than one, but I used a silicone scraper to get out as much of the remaining fat as possible (which frugal people can save).

Luckily our toaster oven came with two identical trays so I didn't have to heat up the "big oven" for this experiment.

So CFB is an entrepreneur now! I wonder if he is planning to add a snooze alarm....

Back
Top Bottom