Join Early Retirement Today

Did you ever get so aggregated you got a pain behind your eye?
Old 01-31-2019, 04:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Aggravated i meant to say obviously - still fuming when i typed this. —DS (Cool Hand)at college calls with a sore neck and a migraine. He is miserable and the wife says go to med express. He drives to 2 and they are closed and gets to the third one and they say my united healthcare coverage has a lapse in service of one day. 01/31/2019. It picks up on 2/1 DS calls the Mrs and she calls united and they again say a lapse in coverage. My son heads home still ill.. he said I’m going home to bed. I told him if he feels worse go to the Emergency room. Im listening in the other room and my acid is starting to upset my stomach.

My nightmare has happened - I think it cant be? I call HR, tell them the story he’s says “you have definitely have coverage”. He gets United on the phone and she says i understand what happened ... and she says you have coverage but because of a snafu it wont seem so to the provider... one hour later i call again to express my displeasure in no uncertain terms.

Tomorrow 2/1 the confusion should be over. Antacid anyone?

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sorry this has happened to you and your son. Your son should just sign a financial agreement and get the care he needs. Coverage can be hashed out later.

Shame on United Healthcare and same on med Express for not treating him.

Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #3

That happened to me. I had planned on retiring in early January, so in December I went to SS to get the form for my Part B Medicare to be filled out by my company.
I got a welcome letter from Blue Shield, and thought all was OK.
In January, I get another letter from them saying I was not covered. It seems in the computer's or a persons abject stupidity, since I applied in January, the re enrollment period was over, even though I was a new enrolee to Part B. It took a supervisor 3 months to get it straightened out!
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's called a cluster headache. DW has one for a month. The ER doc had no sense of humor when I told him she wanted me to put a bullet between her eyes.

But thank God he saved her from getting an opioid.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Sore neck and migraine could be very very serious. Meningitis? If not caught in time, well. Stop worrying about who will pay and get him checked out. He should get checked out immediately.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350508

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sore neck and migraine could be very very serious. Meningitis? If not caught in time, well. Stop worrying about who will pay and get him checked out. He should get checked out immediately.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20350508

-ERD50
Do you think i slept well last night as I am responding at 3AM? We feel terrible!

1) DS left before before I could intervene, the Mrs was handling it and i was reluctant to stick my nose in before i got all the facts. He didnt want to go back -45 minutes in traffic.
2) Although it took 1/2 hour on the phone I made it right
3) we believe it is a nagging prior wrestling injury
4) i had the same concern but i spoke to him twice after I told him -if it gets worse go to the emergency room at once..
Old 02-01-2019, 07:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Hope everything is better today. Just wanted to say that I get such a chuckle every time I read the "Cool Hand" nickname for your son, especially in context from your other family chronicles.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hope your son is doing better and was able to get the care he needed.
Insurance snafus are absolutely no fun--we went through the same thing when our DS was in college. He was on the east coast and we were on the west coast. Finally ended up having a conference call with my HR dept, insurance company, east coast hospital, and myself to get it all straightened out!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:22 AM   #9

What a nightmare! Isn't it sad we have to suffer such angst and jump through such hoops to get the care we need?

We had a similar incident when DS#1 had a tree crush his hand (long, long fraternity story) and the hospital was on our covered provider list but the only surgeon in this tiny town wasn't. I raised holy hell and finally got it covered at 80%. Our health care system isn't for the faint of heart.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
What a nightmare! Isn't it sad we have to suffer such angst and jump through such hoops to get the care we need?

We had a similar incident when DS#1 had a tree crush his hand (long, long fraternity story) and the hospital was on our covered provider list but the only surgeon in this tiny town wasn't. I raised holy hell and finally got it covered at 80%. Our health care system isn't for the faint of heart.
++++
I strongly dislike this healthcare system for many reasons, it is so stupidly inefficient.
If I have a heart attack, I don't know if the hospital 2 miles away is in our network for the current year !!
Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #11

Update on Cool Hand - he still has a sore throat but the neck is better and the headache is gone... i have to say that is some good news.