Join Early Retirement Today

Did you feel the earth move this morning?
Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Did you feel the earth move this morning?

Earthquake near Evansville, IN was a 5.4. Felt is 180 miles away in Cincinnati. Did you feel the earth move? Around 5:30 am EST.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Nothing here in North Texas.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinthru View Post
Nothing here in North Texas.
Nothing in Louisiana, either. Or, at least I felt nothing here in New Orleans.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I felt it near Lexington, KY
RedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:52 AM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Woke up when my dog barked and felt what seemed to be a truck driving by, but didn't think anything of it and went back to bed. We're in the South Bend, IN area.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I did wake up at that time.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Earthquake near Evansville, IN was a 5.4. Felt is 180 miles away in Cincinnati. Did you feel the earth move? Around 5:30 am EST.
Here's a map that was linked to by Drudge: USGS Earthquake Hazards Program: Earthquake Location: ILLINOIS

It looks like it was very near several states, near the southern border between Illinois and Indiana.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

There was just a 4.5 aftershock about 10 minutes ago. Some people in the office were freaking out, but it really wasn't more than a slight rumble.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:06 PM   #9

Only a 5.something, us Southern California folks would hardly notice
Old 04-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Didn't feel anything this far south. Of course, maybe I'm desensitized from feeling very small tremors since I lived in California for nearly all of my life and I was about 6 miles from the epicenter of the '89 Loma Prieta quake...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Didn't feel anything this far south. Of course, maybe I'm desensitized from feeling very small tremors since I lived in California for nearly all of my life and I was about 6 miles from the epicenter of the '89 Loma Prieta quake...
What was that like? Must have been quite an experience.

I was in northern California during a 5.x earthquake back around 1970 (give or take a few). My boyfriend du jour and I were making out at the time, and I thought surely he was The One until I found out there had been an earthquake.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

The house was shaking, and the windows rattling woke me up
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

There's a joke in here somewhere.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
What was that like? Must have been quite an experience.
Hard to describe. I had been a veteran of many earthquakes, the largest of which was something like a 6.2 near Morgan Hill back in '84 or so. (I was studying in my room for that one, being in college and living at home at the time.)

Anyway, for the '89 version I was sitting on the sofa ready to watch the A's and Giants play. Suddenly everything started moving, Al Michaels said "I think we're having an earth---" and then the feed was gone.

I had the patio door open, so I just moved the screen door and ducked under the doorway. Then the power went out (it was only off for about five minutes here). Pretty soon I look up and see the walls flexing and the where the walls meet each other and the ceiling, they were far from perpendicular to each other -- they were meeting at grotesque and changing angles.

Where I was standing, I was right next to a 27" TV on a rickety stand. It was wobbling back and forth like it was about to fall. So I reached back with my arm and pinned it to the wall and waited it out. It took a minute of so before the shaking really stopped. The chandelier over the dining room table was swinging around wildly in a circle at about a 45 degree angle from the ceiling at first. It didn't stop moving completely for a good 10-15 minutes.

The only "loss" in the place? A single plastic bowl dropped from the cabinets to the floor. I'm not sure how I got so lucky.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

WOW!!! That was an experience to remember! It sounds like a really long earthquake, as well as really intense. Other earthquakes probably seem minor after that one. Thanks for the description.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
Did you feel the earth move? Around 5:30 am EST.
Nope! Slept right through it! Normally, I wake up about that time and flip on the news, but after running all around Chicago yesterday, I slept like a dead man until about 9am today. But it was all the rage at the coffee shop this morning.

All that excitement......and I missed out on it. Dang!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I felt the earth move and heard the roar at about 5am in Louisville this morning. DW slept right through it!

By the way, I had been in SF for a meeting the week before and a long weekend just before the Loma Prieta quake; My airplane departed less than an hour before the quake - it was very unsettling to get off that airplane and see live tv showing the fires of SF.

I was back the next week and experienced the congestion from all of the changes in my typical traffic routes.

Regards

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

We lived in the Philippines and Taiwan. I slept through at least one 7.0. Everything small got knocked over on my dresser. I thought the cat did it but then realized the door was locked. Other quakes, I remember the chandaliers rattling like crazy.

Typhoons are worse than earthquakes usually. There was a 5.7 in Morocco in 1960 that killed 12000 people.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

I heard on the radio that one of the on air guys felt the earthquake at 4:30 this morning in mpls.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #20

The house moving woke me up when it happened from a dead sleep around 4ish a.m. It felt like someone was shaking the house from the bottom, which is just what it was. More of a rolling type of shake. Biggest earthquake at the Iowa-Illinois border in decades at 5.2 here.
Dog didn't even wake up. Some watchdog...pffffft.