Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2013, 06:09 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I think good HR relations are indeed a good management practice. Do you think you would be better served as a customer if the banks treated their employees poorly?
No, I was just being sarcastic, sorry!

I feel fortunate to live in a country with such a stable banking system. I wish that all industries treated their workers well. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Once they found out I was planning to pull the plug within a year, it became more kof a "don't let the door hit you in the behind on the way out" thing. I ended up going earlier than planned.

Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Did you get a counteroffer when quitting? What did you do?

Sounds like you don't want a counteroffer just because you don't want to have to negotiate with yourself about retirement

I would not worry about loyalty to the company, only yourself. That said it seems like some part time work over the next 5 years is what you want, and IF the present job is or can be made zero stress then why not stick with that?

How about you consider your ideal situation there as your counteroffer. Think of what could be ideal for you and then have that in your head as your counteroffer. You can make it want you like, I.e. Work one day a week from home until such and such is accomplished.

I don't subscribe to the counteroffer=never idea. The company will always try to maximize profits and minimize expenses. Therefore they will pay you as little as they can get away with. There's nothing immoral or wrong with this as long as they are paying you a living wage.

This is one time where you can be in charge. Where they may need you more that you need them. So it's just your turn to be able to maximize profits if you feel so inclined.

I have learned a lot from your posts. Good luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, how did it go?
Old 01-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Basically my immediate superior asked if there were other roles we had that I would find more palatable (I politely declined). I got a voicemail from the guy in my chain two steps higher at 5:30 on Friday, so I will find out next week if they are still going to try to push some sort of counter. Really I just wish they would let me walk instead of keeping me the 2 weeks.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #66

I hope they let you go without making it more awkward that it already is. Good luck on Monday.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Basically my immediate superior asked if there were other roles we had that I would find more palatable (I politely declined). I got a voicemail from the guy in my chain two steps higher at 5:30 on Friday, so I will find out next week if they are still going to try to push some sort of counter. Really I just wish they would let me walk instead of keeping me the 2 weeks.
I realize that you are interested in starting a new phase - but just make sure you truly evaluate anything they throw your way.

You mentioned previously that you might end up working with your wife's side venture at some point for a few bucks to supplement the stash - don't forget that there are plenty of assclowns, idiots, unreasonable control freaks, et. al., that you'll undoubtedly come across with her business! Think long and hard about taking advantage of the situation you are putting your employer in. Look at how much effort you'd have to put in with your wife's company to get $X, versus an easy extra few months with your current employer for perhaps a multiple of $X, with potentially guaranteed less headaches (?). Especially that you mentioned another co-worker was looking to jump ship - being down 2 people would really put them in a bind, and them being able to stop the bleeding even a little bit could really be worth some serious benefit to you.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:06 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I realize that you are interested in starting a new phase - but just make sure you truly evaluate anything they throw your way.

You mentioned previously that you might end up working with your wife's side venture at some point for a few bucks to supplement the stash - don't forget that there are plenty of assclowns, idiots, unreasonable control freaks, et. al., that you'll undoubtedly come across with her business! Think long and hard about taking advantage of the situation you are putting your employer in. Look at how much effort you'd have to put in with your wife's company to get $X, versus an easy extra few months with your current employer for perhaps a multiple of $X, with potentially guaranteed less headaches (?). Especially that you mentioned another co-worker was looking to jump ship - being down 2 people would really put them in a bind, and them being able to stop the bleeding even a little bit could really be worth some serious benefit to you.
Of course I would listen to whatever they will say, but this is not a private company: it is a wildly bureaucratic quasi-public organization that probably invented the phrase "hide-bound." My best guess is that they will make some sort of effort to keep me around as a full time employee, which is not happening for any kind of offer they are capable of making. They are almost certainly not flexible to come up with an arrangement that will work for me. I will listen, but mostly I just want to get the hell out of there and start blotting the memory out.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-05-2014, 09:56 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

This is beginning to get a little strange. In addition to an overture from the guy a few levels up via voicemail, I got an email from a VERY senior person in another division expressing regret that I bailed and wanting to chat. This is someone I have done some work for in the past and who obliquely tried to recruit me (I pretended not to notice since she has a reputation as a high hours type leader). Um, where were all these buggers a few months ago when I was moldering in my battleship gray cube/prison?

- Will Rogers
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 PM   #70

Quote:
This is beginning to get a little strange. In addition to an overture from the guy a few levels up via voicemail, I got an email from a VERY senior person in another division expressing regret that I bailed and wanting to chat. This is someone I have done some work for in the past and who obliquely tried to recruit me (I pretended not to notice since she has a reputation as a high hours type leader). Um, where were all these buggers a few months ago when I was moldering in my battleship gray cube/prison?
Many times once you make it clear that you are going of your own volition, in a sense you have called their bluff. In addition, as they are losing someone else, only now to they realize how much skill they are losing and they are trying to scramble to cover it.

I may be in a similar situation... one of my mentors, not in my direct reporting line, whom I have advised on some of his departments' projects, asked me if I was kidding when I told him early last year that market performance in 2013 would have an impact on my retirement decision. I told him no, and it certainly made it more feasible for me to look at it this year. Now he wants to have lunch with me this week to discuss "options I may not be aware of". Interesting.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Um, where were all these buggers a few months ago when I was moldering in my battleship gray cube/prison?
This is like the other thread about Cable TV. The Cable TV company didn't offer their lowest price until the OP actually told him he was cancelling his service. Same here. Now that you have told them that you are actually leaving, they are coming out of the woodwork.

In my view, it's all business. People in work environments often just really don't give a hoot. A job is a job is a job. But then, one might say I am a bit cynical about these things.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:14 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This is like the other thread about Cable TV. The Cable TV company didn't offer their lowest price until the OP actually told him he was cancelling his service. Same here. Now that you have told them that you are actually leaving, they are coming out of the woodwork.
Brewer, don't agree to stay unless they give you HBO and Showtime free...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Brewer, don't agree to stay unless they give you HBO and Showtime free...
I'd probably settle for NatGeo and Skinemax.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Tell them at this point, you just want a plain old cup of coffee......

Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
It has been my experience for the past twenty years that even highly skilled employees are taken for granted until they announce they are leaving, at which point management panics, pulls their heads out of their collective arse, and scrambles like crazy to react, because they have no redundancy plan in place. If (big if) you still want to pad the retirement cushion a bit, you may be able to write your own ticket. Best of luck to you however this plays out.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Talk to key people in the agency who you respect. They probably won't be able to change the reasons why you want to move on BUT they may introduce you to people who you might want to work with in the future. Look at those conversations as networking opportunities. Follow up on those after the thaw.

Working with a spouse has its own issues whatever the profession. In addition think about economic diversification... don't tie both horses to the same wagon.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Meh, mostly I will be taking a sabbatical and pursuing my own gig should I choose/need to do so.

I have not talked to any of the grand poo-bahs yet, but they seem to have moved to acceptance today. They sent out an announcement that I am leaving to the group I work with and I got an email abut an exit interview. If they don't try to convince me to stay any more, I will not be complaining.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #78

Brewer, you seem to be putting more emphasis on what you are leaving than on what you are going to. Do you really want to leave, or do you want a counter offer?

I have never been offered a counter as such, but I did have one case where I decided to ask for [whatever it was] and decided that if I didn't get it, I would leave. I got what I asked for but left in less than a year anyway.

In another case an unsolicited offer was made to me and the boss's boss found out about it (small world). The boss's boss persuaded me to reject the offer without promising me anything in particular. I stayed there for six more years until I was RIF'd in a "going out of business" scenario. I was quite satisfied.
They gave me a really nice going away gift when I finally got RIF'd (mid 5 figures).
Old 01-06-2014, 09:36 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I really do not want the complications on the way out. A clean break is the best outcome and it looks like that will end up being the case. I think that I am focusing a lot of my anxiety about the transition on this issue.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
No, I was just being sarcastic, sorry!

I feel fortunate to live in a country with such a stable banking system. I wish that all industries treated their workers well. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
As long as the dividends and stock prices keep climbing, long live the banks and their generous HR policies.