Did you get a counteroffer when quitting? What did you do?

Talk to key people in the agency who you respect. They probably won't be able to change the reasons why you want to move on BUT they may introduce you to people who you might want to work with in the future. Look at those conversations as networking opportunities. Follow up on those after the thaw.

Working with a spouse has its own issues whatever the profession. In addition think about economic diversification... don't tie both horses to the same wagon.

Meh, mostly I will be taking a sabbatical and pursuing my own gig should I choose/need to do so.

I have not talked to any of the grand poo-bahs yet, but they seem to have moved to acceptance today. They sent out an announcement that I am leaving to the group I work with and I got an email abut an exit interview. If they don't try to convince me to stay any more, I will not be complaining.

Brewer, you seem to be putting more emphasis on what you are leaving than on what you are going to. Do you really want to leave, or do you want a counter offer?

I have never been offered a counter as such, but I did have one case where I decided to ask for [whatever it was] and decided that if I didn't get it, I would leave. I got what I asked for but left in less than a year anyway.

In another case an unsolicited offer was made to me and the boss's boss found out about it (small world). The boss's boss persuaded me to reject the offer without promising me anything in particular. I stayed there for six more years until I was RIF'd in a "going out of business" scenario. I was quite satisfied.
They gave me a really nice going away gift when I finally got RIF'd (mid 5 figures).

I really do not want the complications on the way out. A clean break is the best outcome and it looks like that will end up being the case. I think that I am focusing a lot of my anxiety about the transition on this issue.

No, I was just being sarcastic, sorry! :flowers:

I feel fortunate to live in a country with such a stable banking system. I wish that all industries treated their workers well. Unfortunately, that is not the case.
As long as the dividends and stock prices keep climbing, long live the banks and their generous HR policies.

I worked on a 9 month consulting contract (VP Ops), and, near the end they appointed me interim CEO. That lasted for 6 months, but they kept me on in parallel for another 6 months. I used the time to rebuild my network in preparation for the next consulting assignment.

It was difficult for me to watch the new CEO screw up. I tried to suggest things but he was not listening. I considered going to the Board, but finally rejected the idea since it really did not matter to me. They had made the decision and had to live with the consequences. Such an action would have been above my pay grade.

(They lost a major account that I had fought successfully to save.)

Well, I finally talked to the decision maker at the top of my chain this morning. He was complimentary and said that the goobersmoochers hobnobbed and decided that they could not make an attractive enough offer to me to keep me and it would probably be a bad idea to try. Unusually perceptive for this crew.

This afternoon my buddy and I called our major "client" to tell them that I would no longer be facing them in my current role. Our main contact is someone who I would hate to plan poker against him as I can never tell what he in thinking and true to form he gave no indication how he felt either way (although he was complimentary as well). Not 30 minutes later I got a LinkedIn invitation with one of the people I have been dealing with at this shop. Unfortunately for them, I cannot do anything for money with them for a year after employment ends. They would probably like to hire me and I would actually enjoy consulting with them.

Seems my remaining days will be drama free and light in duties.

Well, then I suspect you now finally feel like you are really going to retire Brewer, so congratulations for that! And to think it only took 14,423 posts in the Early Retirement forum for you to get there!

Once the dust settles you'll have to let us all know what it feels like to be free. Congratulations again!

Congratulations! You have been dreaming if this for a long time. I hope ER is everything you have hoped for.

Very good outcome, Brewer. Looks like the road ahead is clear! Congratulations. Hope you enjoy the improved future that you have planned for yourself and your family. :D

my remaining days will be drama free and light in duties.

Hey, drama is something you have to create for yourself!

Seriously, glad it worked out well for you. Welcome to the wonderful world of the perpetual weekend.

Here is hoping for drama free and light duties last days. Enjoy your freedom, your family will love having you more available to them.

Congratulations.

I did not get a counter offer but I did get (out of the blue) a layoff package for the same day I am retiring. It seems that megacorp (for whom I have worked just shy of three years), would rather pay me a severance package and then be able to eliminate a position rather than have me retire and leave an open position. Sure, give me a check for low 5 figures, six months of medical coverage and some other stuff for free.

I am too cheap to live but with that much found money I am buying a new lathe.

Now that it is all settled, I am just exhausted. Taking DD to an orthodontist appointment then buggering off to the woods. I suspect I will be doing a lot of dozing at the base of a tree waiting for critters to show up rather than chasing them.

I was in your situation with a govt agency years ago. It was exactly 11 months after I left an employer subject to their supervision contacted me. One year, to the day, I was back to work.

You can acknowledge your former relationship in a nice way and remind them (as if they didn't already know) that you are on ice for a year. Don't let your technical skills go stale. Whether or not you go back to work in the industry that knowledge will be of great use. I did consulting in my field for many years.

Now that it is all settled, I am just exhausted. Taking DD to an orthodontist appointment then buggering off to the woods. I suspect I will be doing a lot of dozing at the base of a tree waiting for critters to show up rather than chasing them.

Congrats. It has been a long long road to get here. I'm glad the drama has ended and the relief can begin.
Enjoy the woods!

I notice that a recruiter has already congratulated you on LinkedIn . . . :cool:

Good luck Brewer. Are you going to celebrate with some colorado cannibis:D

Congratulations Brewer, and all the very best as you start a new phase of your life :flowers:

Congratulations Brewer! Get rested up and let the stress go and then move on with enjoying everything out there life has to offer. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom