Join Early Retirement Today

Did you know?
Old 01-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Did you know?

A place to post about something... anything... that you didn't know, but found out... and think others might be interested in.

Starting it off with the fact that eyeball tattoos are no longer legal in Indiana.

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/ne...EckN9vFdomi8O/

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Darn site linked above wants me to turn off my ad blocker.....not!

Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Darn site linked above wants me to turn off my ad blocker.....not!
From the site:

Quote:
July 1 ,2018
INDIANAPOLIS —
Anyone looking to get their eyeballs tattooed should book an appointment outside the state of Indiana.
Tattooists in the state are now prohibited by law from coloring the whites of a person’s eyes.
The new law went into effect Sunday.
The ban was first proposed by Sen. John Ruckelshaus, after a flurry of news reports last fall about a Canadian model who had major complications after getting her eyes tattooed purple.
Cat Gallinger told the Washington Post in 2017 she could lose her eyesight after getting the procedure done. She said it caused an eye infection and excruciating pain.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, I'll pass this along to the grandkids....

Quote:
July 1 ,2018
INDIANAPOLIS —
Anyone looking to get their eyeballs tattooed should book an appointment outside the state of Indiana.
Tattooists in the state are now prohibited by law from coloring the whites of a person’s eyes.
The new law went into effect Sunday.
The ban was first proposed by Sen. John Ruckelshaus, after a flurry of news reports last fall about a Canadian model who had major complications after getting her eyes tattooed purple.
Cat Gallinger told the Washington Post in 2017 she could lose her eyesight after getting the procedure done. She said it caused an eye infection and excruciating pain.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

It's a good thing that Senator Ruckelshaus actually did something useful. I'd been lying awake at night haunted by nightmares of purple-eyed Indianans running amok among us. Thankfully now that won't be allowed to happen.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

A WHOLE genre called TIL (Today I Learned). You will never run out of these stories: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Did you know that you burn more calories eating celery than it contains (the more you eat the thinner you become)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

If we're just going to post urban legends like negative calories from celery, this is going to be an extremely tiresome thread (as if it weren't already useless enough)
Old 01-05-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
A WHOLE genre called TIL (Today I Learned). You will never run out of these stories: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/
I love TILs.
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
If we're just going to post urban legends like negative calories from celery, this is going to be an extremely tiresome thread (as if it weren't already useless enough)
I'd say, as moderator, just shut it down.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
I'd say, as moderator, just shut it down.
No need for that. But this thread will be much more valuable if people research a bit before posting, and provide references. It's pretty easy these days.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/faq-20058260

Quote:
Foods that contain few calories, such as celery and other nonstarchy vegetables, provide a small number of calories but still require energy to digest. That means it is theoretically possible to have a negative-calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods have this effect.
-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
No need for that. But this thread will be much more valuable if people research a bit before posting, and provide references. It's pretty easy these days.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...s/faq-20058260

-ERD50
Although most of us would readily accept health and medical advice from the Mayo Clinic as being relatively reputable, self-diagnosing using the internet has its pitfalls. Just ask our son, a nurse practitioner, who has seen countless patients in his practice that open with the line, I read on WebMD....
“Every tick-tock is a second of life that passes by, that flees never to repeat itself. And it holds such intensity, such interest that the only problem is knowing how to live. May each person solve it as best they can.”

Frida Kahlo
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Think of these as opportunities to check that “Ignore Thread” is working properly!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Funny, I was spanked for suggesting this about another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
It's a good thing that Senator Ruckelshaus actually did something useful. I'd been lying awake at night haunted by nightmares of purple-eyed Indianans running amok among us. Thankfully now that won't be allowed to happen.

That’s “Hoosiers”... And, frankly, given the number of Hoosiers who are covered with tats but otherwise appear to have no pot to piss in....

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Having our vegetable garden infested with aphids, I did some research and found the following.

Aphids can reproduce asexually, where females can give live birth to female nymphs which are clones of the mothers. They can also reproduce by mating and depositing eggs.

A newly born female aphid can start reproducing in 1 week, and gives birth to 5 offsprings a day for up to 30 days.

No wonder my veggies are in bad shape. Curses!