Join Early Retirement Today

Did you know electric cars reboot?
Old 04-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #1

Did you know electric cars reboot?

So I'm trying to leave a business (a tire shop) and the path is around the building. There is a car in the way and I can maybe get around him but if he just pulls up a bit, all will be good. After a while, he doesn't move so I give him a very quick beep of the horn. Still, no movement. WTF? Guy comes out of the shop and motions for the car to pull forward - now we're getting somewhere. Then, the car still doesn't move. WTF??

Then the guy gets out of his car and comes to the window and says that his car - a Volt is updating and he can do nothing for three minutes. Wow. So he helped me get by without hitting his car but I never heard of such a thing. I guess they have a way of knowing you're not in the midst of an emergency when they do their update? Maybe he thought he'd be waiting for a while anyway so why not? I don't think I'd like not being able to turn my key and immediately move if that is what I wanted to do.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 09:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I know a lady who’s new Volvo SUV was running funny. It turned out that they had to take it to the dealership for them to, in essence, reboot the computer. Up until then I had never heard of such a thing...
Old 04-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
That makes sense, but you would think they could schedule it to happen at 4am AND when the car has not been used for an hour previously.

What if the owner had simply stopped in front of the bank for a robbery ?
Old 04-14-2019, 04:21 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

My electric car - Tesla Model X - will tell me when there is an update available. Then it's up to me to decide when to install. I can do it immidiately or set a suitable time.

It will not do it when driving or do it by itself.

I have no experience with the Volt. But the guys at Chevrolet cannot be so silly that the car will update itself in traffic?
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I suspect this person thought he was out of the way enough to do an update. Poor decision on his part.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I am amazed that the car would allow it. C-A-D anyone?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

They should design the car with a redundant system such that while one unit is updating, the other is running the car's systems with the old version. I mean the little control unit has to be a very minor cost in the whole EV system...under the price of heated seats or something.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
They should design the car with a redundant system such that while one unit is updating, the other is running the car's systems with the old version. I mean the little control unit has to be a very minor cost in the whole EV system...under the price of heated seats or something.
Agreed! Also I am not convinced that is not actually the case -- despite what the Volt owner declared in terms of how the system works.

-gauss
gauss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I suspect this person thought he was out of the way enough to do an update. Poor decision on his part.

Agree—-I own an electric car, and it always asks permission to begin the software update because it sometimes takes 15-60 minutes and should not be operated during that time. It often offers to begin the update after midnight.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
Agree—-I own an electric car, and it always asks permission to begin the software update because it sometimes takes 15-60 minutes and should not be operated during that time. It often offers to begin the update after midnight.
Same for me. I always set mine for midnight.

Fantastic vehicle. No noise, no more gas stations, no emissions, no stinky factor.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
That makes sense, but you would think they could schedule it to happen at 4am AND when the car has not been used for an hour previously.
Probably software by Microsoft. Do the updates and reboot at the most inconvenient time possible.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Probably software by Microsoft. Do the updates and reboot at the most inconvenient time possible.
Reboot twice, just in case.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote