Did you know electric cars reboot?

Jerry1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
So I'm trying to leave a business (a tire shop) and the path is around the building. There is a car in the way and I can maybe get around him but if he just pulls up a bit, all will be good. After a while, he doesn't move so I give him a very quick beep of the horn. Still, no movement. WTF? Guy comes out of the shop and motions for the car to pull forward - now we're getting somewhere. Then, the car still doesn't move. WTF??

Then the guy gets out of his car and comes to the window and says that his car - a Volt is updating and he can do nothing for three minutes. Wow. So he helped me get by without hitting his car but I never heard of such a thing. I guess they have a way of knowing you're not in the midst of an emergency when they do their update? Maybe he thought he'd be waiting for a while anyway so why not? I don't think I'd like not being able to turn my key and immediately move if that is what I wanted to do.

I know a lady who’s new Volvo SUV was running funny. It turned out that they had to take it to the dealership for them to, in essence, reboot the computer. Up until then I had never heard of such a thing...

That makes sense, but you would think they could schedule it to happen at 4am AND when the car has not been used for an hour previously.

What if the owner had simply stopped in front of the bank for a robbery ?

My electric car - Tesla Model X - will tell me when there is an update available. Then it's up to me to decide when to install. I can do it immidiately or set a suitable time.

It will not do it when driving or do it by itself.

I have no experience with the Volt. But the guys at Chevrolet cannot be so silly that the car will update itself in traffic?

I suspect this person thought he was out of the way enough to do an update. Poor decision on his part.

They should design the car with a redundant system such that while one unit is updating, the other is running the car's systems with the old version. I mean the little control unit has to be a very minor cost in the whole EV system...under the price of heated seats or something.

They should design the car with a redundant system such that while one unit is updating, the other is running the car's systems with the old version. I mean the little control unit has to be a very minor cost in the whole EV system...under the price of heated seats or something.

Agreed! Also I am not convinced that is not actually the case -- despite what the Volt owner declared in terms of how the system works.

-gauss

I suspect this person thought he was out of the way enough to do an update. Poor decision on his part.

Agree—-I own an electric car, and it always asks permission to begin the software update because it sometimes takes 15-60 minutes and should not be operated during that time. It often offers to begin the update after midnight.

Agree—-I own an electric car, and it always asks permission to begin the software update because it sometimes takes 15-60 minutes and should not be operated during that time. It often offers to begin the update after midnight.

Same for me. I always set mine for midnight.

Fantastic vehicle. No noise, no more gas stations, no emissions, no stinky factor.

That makes sense, but you would think they could schedule it to happen at 4am AND when the car has not been used for an hour previously.

Probably software by Microsoft. Do the updates and reboot at the most inconvenient time possible.

Back
Top Bottom