Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Did You Vote?
Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here in WA most people vote through the mail. DH and I voted last week.

I just got home from canvassing pestering folks who haven't voted yet. We had an actual list of registered Democrats who hadn't voted. It is raining like crazy here, so most people who were home just felt sorry for me and told me they would go vote.

Part of my volunteer duties also included stopping by the polling place and checking off the list the people who had voted so we wouldn't keep bugging them - the folks at the polls said they were having a bigger turnout than they've had in many years.

Just so y'all know - I don't make telephone calls. I don't like to receive them, so I don't make them.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a big turnout here in MS. No contested races.
All incumbents are heavily favored.
The only contests are for smal time judge posts.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Voted during lunch hour. It was rainy and I expect a low turnout, but there appeared to be more people voting than in past elections.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:36 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Early and often. I grew up in Chicago.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Voted early and in person about a week ago at the county registrar's office. The electronic touch screen was easy to use.

From the sound of things here, there was a good turnout. If so, that's great (though it probably won't favor my candidates).
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:44 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I just heard the the governor of South Carolina couldn't vote because he forgot his registration card. A bit embarrassing.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
Early and often. I grew up in Chicago.
I grew up there on the southside..I still vote there and I live in Minnesota! What a great country..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #48
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Voted by absentee ballot last week.

Here in Ohio, all sorts of problems with the machines (surprise surprise).

Whose brilliant idea was it to run a smoke test on beta software on a major election?
Old 11-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I grew up there on the southside..I still vote there and I live in Minnesota! What a great country..
You've got that right! Every time I hear those Ohio Republicans getting credit for being able to steal votes and influence elections, I just about puke. Dey don't know nuttin'! When it comes to getting things organized and delivering the vote, Chicago Dems are the world leaders. And we get praised for it too. No investigations, no whining, just winners!

DanTien, not only do you still get to vote on da south side, your Ward Committeeman knows how you voted and knows how to return a favor!
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I just heard the the governor of South Carolina couldn't vote because he forgot his registration card. A bit embarrassing.
He left it at the governer's mansion in Columbia, but he votes in Sullivan's Island, here in Charleston County. He had to go to a county office to get a replacement. I don't know if an ordinary person could get this done as quickly. This was the first election here in SC where I needed to show the voter ID. Lucky for me, I always bring it--otherwise I'd forget where to vote and my precinct number. Several rpecincts vote at the same place and you want to get in the right line.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Dey don't know nuttin'! When it comes to getting things organized and delivering the vote, Chicago Dems are the world leaders. And we get praised for it too. No investigations, no whining, just winners!

DanTien, not only do you still get to vote on da south side, your Ward Committeeman knows how you voted and knows how to return a favor!
You right! Youbet -If that Bush guy had only contracted the machine to setup a political patronage system in Iraq, we would have been out of there 2 years ago! and Chicago would have had its own cut rate sweet deal on oil to boot!...well so it goes eh?...
Old 11-07-2006, 06:09 PM   #52

Quote:

Sounds good! That would make quite a statement - Despondent DFLer found with "I Voted" stickers stuffed in olifactory orifices after Republ-icky upset - left note "I refuse To Stay The Course, would rather Cut Stuff and Run Choke"... hopefully We'll survive this and be around to elect Obama in 08...
Yeah. The good thing is we go out 'blue' from asphyxiation; the bad news is we can't visit Canada.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:32 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
So if he loses it's his fault...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:35 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
if the repubs keep control of the house and senate I'm either commiting suicide later tonight or moving to Canada or Italy or ?
Well, the Dems have seized control, so there's no need for you to move. And we'd miss you down here. But, if you ever do decide to go, it's easily arranged thanks to folks like these: http://www.marryanamerican.ca/
Old 11-08-2006, 05:34 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey DanTien. Where on the south side? I was at 95th and Hamilton (near Western). Someone else (youbet I think?) is a former north sider.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:14 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Well, the Dems have seized control, so there's no need for you to move. And we'd miss you down here. But, if you ever do decide to go, it's easily arranged thanks to folks like these: http://www.marryanamerican.ca/
Well, I can certainly live with last night's results and its nice to know there are Canadians who would want me...
Quote:
Hey DanTien. Where on the south side? I was at 95th and Hamilton (near Western). Someone else (youbet I think?) is a former north sider.
Hey Don, I come from a mixed family - father from the west side - Austin - and mother from Woodlawn - I started off near Jackson Park and then decamped to the outerlimits - Homewood! You would be Evergreen Park right?....remember going to the Beverly theater
Old 11-08-2006, 06:21 AM   #57

Have something against polls Dan? I mean for this thread.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:23 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I voted absentee monday - Yessssssss... Ohio voting machines now have a paper trail so that it's possible to independently verify the vote - a big improvement over last time!

I spent Election Day camped out (6am til 9pm) as an official election observer for voter protection in a downtown polling place. We had 10 voting machines (with paper trails) one of which never came up all day; the rest worked well throughout the day. Thankfully, I saw no irregularities - just a lot of people who wanted to vote. By 8:30 pm the 'long reports' from the 9 functional voting machines were taped to the outside door of the polling place.

It was a long and satisfying day!

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You would be Evergreen Park right?....remember going to the Beverly theater
I was just inside the Chicago city limits - 5 blocks east of Western. I spent many a Saturday at the Beverly Theater. I can remember sitting in the front row arguing with a kid who said the screen was made of tissue paper. I threw an empty Good & Plenty box at the screen and was horrified to see a little dark opening appear. Luckily no one caught me. Note: that is my clear and distinct memory of the event. But some know-it-alls have told me I suffer from false memory syndrome - they say screens were never made of tissue. Do we have any trivia masters out there who can resolve that debate?

Sorry for the hijack
Old 11-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Someone else (youbet I think?) is a former north sider.
Yep, started out in Humbolt Park but moved way out northwest to Oriole Park, 5400 north and 7600 west. I went to Taft, DW went to Schurz and her siblings went to Lane Tech. In the burbs now, but I can see the skyline from my roof.

Dad was a city worker, so I spent lots of hours involved in little chores for the precinct/ward around election time.