Join Early Retirement Today

Digital Camera Question
Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Digital Camera Question

This weekend while taking lots of shots in varying lighting conditions (in a museum) I noticed that was taking a LOT of time - up to 5-6 seconds - to write to the SD card before I could take another shot. I had not had (or noticed) the problem before.

Back home I did some experimenting. Thinking it might have something to do with the size of the SD card - 2 Gig - I changed back to the 1 Gig I had used previously, but same thing. Then I noticed that the problem seemed to only happen with shots taken in relatively low light requiring open aperature/slow shutter & flash; in outdoor ambient light it is ready to go nearly instantly.

Camera is a Canon Powershot A540; SD cards are SanDisc & Kingston.

Any ideas?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Digital Camera Question
Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Bobot, charge or change the battery. The flash uses a lot of power.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

?, Welcome, it took you almost 2 years to post that. I hope to see you posting more often.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It could be photo processing time. Cameras have a photo processing chip in them that makes adjustments and compresses the photo before storage. Perhaps dim pictures take longer to process on your particular camera model. Check some of the photo review web sites which include this stat in their reviews to see if your model takes more or less time between shots to process photos.

Its also possible that your camera, for whatever reason, decided that the flash chip you inserted is a lower speed than what it actually is. Remove the flash chip and the battery from the camera, wait a minute or so and put them both back in, battery first. See if it changes the store speed.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I agree with CFB, camera is doing extra processing for the low light image. Here's what it's thinking:

"Oh, Geez, he took another one of those low light pictures again. Now I have to fix it up for him. Work work work. Averaging, counting, summing. I wish he'd go outside again."
Old 01-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Theres another plausible flip side explanation...if you've somehow set the camera to store images in a 'raw' or uncompressed format instead of the usual jpeg compression setting, that can result in images as much as 10-40x as much data being written to the flash chip. Check your settings for a 'normal/fine/superfine' setting that you might have inadvertently changed or a 'raw image' or 'no compression' option.

Its also possible that there is some camera smarts being employed...when in auto mode and shooting at high ISO levels, the camera may switch to a raw mode to improve the shot quality.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

the camera may be trying to apply low light noise reduction. i just got a nikon d80 and have spent the last month cramming and learning. there is so much to learn. not only about photography but now the digital processing end as im starting to shoot raw
mathjak107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed that as my SD card got more pix on it (lots more), that the time to process before the next pic could be shot lengthened greatly. I slapped in a new empty SD card, and the the time between shots went back down to normal. I switched back to the first SD card, and the process time increased greatly again.

(I'm using a Kodak Easyshare with 1 & 2 gig SD's)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

Two things are likely at play here. Digital images in low light have a very high noise ratio, and noise is data. If saving as JPG files, then the camera is also applying all of it's noise reduction powers as it processes the image, resulting in longer times to process and write. Since noise is data, the image files are also larger, taking longer to write to the card.
Try this experiment:
With an empty memory card, take one shot outdoors in good light, and one indoors in poor light.
download the files to the computer and look at file size. The low-light image is likely 1/3 to 1/2 larger in size than the well-lit (low noise) image.
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I noticed that as my SD card got more pix on it (lots more), that the time to process before the next pic could be shot lengthened greatly. I slapped in a new empty SD card, and the the time between shots went back down to normal. I switched back to the first SD card, and the process time increased greatly again.

(I'm using a Kodak Easyshare with 1 & 2 gig SD's)
You could also try re-formatting the card. I understand the pros do that often.

Considering you saw the problem with two diff cards, the other ideas raised may be more to the point, but it couldn't hurt.

I'd bet on the low light processing ideas, or that you did set the camera to a higher size format.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
You could also try re-formatting the card. I understand the pros do that often.

Considering you saw the problem with two diff cards, the other ideas raised may be more to the point, but it couldn't hurt.

I'd bet on the low light processing ideas, or that you did set the camera to a higher size format.

-ERD50
In my case, both cards were fairly quick when empty. Both cards were fairly (quite) slow when more full. I didn't notice any considerable difference in speed due to lighting or lack thereof.

I'll see how things go when I switch cameras and card-types some time soon.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

All good insightful info, thanks. I think all of the comments relating to image processing for low light/noise, as well as pix size & density are right on. I obviously have a lot of 'sperimenting to do -- & now I have the time to do it!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I see that your camera has the same digic ii processor that my camera does.

According to the documentation, the noise reduction circuitry kicks in automatically on low light shots and drops the compression ratio.