Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

DH consulted with BIL and we ended up with a Sony Cybershot. Paid about $200 for it. The camera zooms up to 10x and does a bunch of other stuff I've haven't even begun to figure out yet.

Here'a a picture I took using the new camera of a 1938 Philco radio my uncle restored to perfect working order. Old and new technology!

Thanks for your comments everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1938 Philco.jpg (496.6 KB, 3 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Any of the Nikon Coolpix line are a good choice. Also, Canon EOS SLR if you want to up the ante.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I second the suggestion to get a camera with a viewfinder.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

For me, it is a requirement that my camera that have a 'viewfinder' -- not just the 'display' that is useless in any amount of sunshine. They are hard to find these days at the pricepoint you're looking for.

However, I did find exactly what I wanted -- i.e. a point and shoot with both viewfinder and display. Google Fuji Finepix and you will see some choices. The Fuji Finepix is a step up above the smaller purse-size cameras yet not too big and bulky like you get into with the SLR's.

If you want, you can also get an adapter for it that allows you to screw on filters -- such as a UV, etc.

I have the Fuju Finepix S1800 for a couple of years now and it has served me well.

I also like it because it uses double AA batteries.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
DH consulted with BIL and we ended up with a Sony Cybershot. Paid about $200 for it. The camera zooms up to 10x and does a bunch of other stuff I've haven't even begun to figure out yet.
I recently purchased a "Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX7V". I already had an old Cyber-Shot so I was already familiar with the basic camera controls. It worked great on a recent trip to the Pacific Northwest.

I got a 32GB memory card and the camera tells me that I can store over 6000 high res photos. More than enough. I bought some extra batteries since I'll run out of batteries before I run out of image storage space. When I do any kind of scenic photography I put it on a very lightweight tripod.

Here is a video with stills and movies that took using this camera recently.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post

Here is a video with stills and movies that took using this camera recently.
Beautiful Marty - thanks!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Not only beautiful, Marty, but very well produced. Well done!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was into photography several years ago, and used to refer to this website for reviews: Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information

It appears the site has morphed into something that is more commercialized than in the past, but I'm sure Steve's info is probably still pretty solid. As for me, I am partial to Canon cameras, as I feel their lenses are amoung the best for the $s (still have my F1).
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Currently, like many here, I mainly use my cell phone as my camera; but, I expect my next camera to be something long the lines of the Lytro: Lytro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Still a bit too new/expensive for me now; but, assuming the price comes down in a couple of years...
  • Focusing after the fact
  • 3D by default, etc.
  • Lots of cool new options for me to play with

Just another option to consider that I did see mentioned by others.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote