Join Early Retirement Today

Digital Turntables
Old 05-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Digital Turntables

Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems they are primarily designed with DJ'ing, "scratching" and "mixing" in mind (all things that were after my time) but also have the capability of transferring our tons of vinyl to digital files.

Anyone tried it?

Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Digital Turntables
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Does anyone have any experience with these? It seems they are primarily designed with DJ'ing, "scratching" and "mixing" in mind (all things that were after my time) but also have the capability of transferring our tons of vinyl to digital files.

Anyone tried it?

I have a friend who has one. for him it was worth because he too had tons of vinyl to transfer that he actually listens to still. bottom line it's worth it
if you *really* will listen to all that old vinyl with some frequency. if not
don't bother. just re purchase what you really want (that you can find)
on cd new.

that said, the quality stays reasonably close to the original vinyl quality.

You can also run the the digitized stuff through software that cleans up the sound which sometimes is worth it w/ less than stellar quality vinyl.

mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #3

Thanks for the info mh. We do still like to listen to the vinyl. Up until about a year ago, when the turntable crapped out, we really enjoyed listening to the music of our youth .

Since we have a small house I am also thinking it would be nice to get the square footage back. Between the two of us there are probably 300 albums.
Old 05-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

there is lots of software that lets you convert your vinyl to cd. i still love my hi-end turntable and vinyl but i use the software to put my albums on cd
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Digital turntable seems like an oxymoron.

try to pick-up a used high-end analog turntable (cheap). Buy a high-end cartridge (a new one may be a little pricey) The cartridge (needle) is one of the most important parts. You should be able covert them to the format you need via the analog output into an analog input into your existing hi-fi or a ard on your computer.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

even today hi end tables are alot. a rega is around the cheapest entry at about 750.00 i used to be a linnie. a linn today is thousands
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Given that many of my vinyls were played on BSR mini-changers with nickels taped to the tonearm for ballast, me thinks a high-end turntable would be overkill...

My "Early Steppenwolf" album is 40 yo this year!

And sounds like it... :

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There's plenty of website info on using an "analogue" turntable's output to a computer to record MP3s & burn audio CDs.

But spouse pointed out that for the time & effort it'd take we'd be better off through Limewire, iTunes, or (*gasp*) retail prices at the "record" store. I'd even pay our kid for her effort of going through our old albums and finding the digital tracks.

Do you notice that you hardly ever hear about anyone trying to convert their eight-track cassettes to CDs?

I've been thinking that it's time to eBay the ol' LPs. Declutter!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Given that many of my vinyls were played on BSR mini-changers with nickels taped to the tonearm for ballast, me thinks a high-end turntable would be overkill...

My "Early Steppenwolf" album is 40 yo this year!

And sounds like it... :
Good point. DW has many albums that were played (worn) to death. Although they still sound OK. My albums were played less since I recorded them on cassette. Many are still in pretty good shape.

Amazingly, I have some cassette tapes that I recorded when I was in the Marine Corp back in the late 70's... They still sound very good for 30 year old cassettes. Recorded them on Maxell and TDK Chrome tapes.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #10

Yeah, our albums have seen better days. The thing that is a bummer is we just bought a brand new cartridge for the turntable and then the belt went. So we were trying to repair or get it repaired first. When we couldn't find a shop that would fix it, SO took it apart and went at it himself. That didn't work either.

So then we tried to find another used turntable that we could put the cartridge on - THAT was more expensive than it was worth....

So I guess we'll end up buying a new one... after he built the special pull-out shelf for the turntable in the entertainment center...

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Sheryl,

Here's an example...

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0249714

I've also seen USB turntables...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ION-U...oductDetail.do

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Won't do much for the serious audiophile out there, but you can usually find a good-enough turntable at thrift stores. I got some really sweet audio equipment when I worked for Habitat for Humanity. The wealthy retirees would finally bite the bullet and upgrade their 1970s era hi-fis and donate the old stuff. I got a fantastic (and fantastically heavy) Sony solid state receiver that pumps as well as a mint condition and very serviceable Sony turntable. Worth checking at thrift stores near nice areas (and especially Habitat stores, as they don't deal in clothing.
I used Magix recording software to migrate my albums to mp3s, but I still listen to the albums all the time and when we have parties, you know everyone wants to dance to Little Feat's Fat Man in the Bathtub on vinyl!

Sarah

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Good ol' Costco! Got a $100 and need a USB turntable? ri' cheer!]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11207411
Old 05-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki
Good ol' Costco! Got a $100 and need a USB turntable? ri' cheer!]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11207411
Gotta love a Costco solution!

I think I am seeing project #256 for S.O.'s impending ER. Right after he remodels the bathroom, paints the house....
Old 05-14-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Tur.../dp/B000BUEMOO

Lots of good reviews. From what i've heard, you may get better results using an existing high end turntable and plugging the line out into the line in on a good quality sound card. Unfortunately most PC's dont have a good quality sound card for input recording and adding one in can be an expensive proposition. Especially for a laptop.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
http://www.amazon.com/Ion-iTTUSB-Tur.../dp/B000BUEMOO

Lots of good reviews. From what i've heard, you may get better results using an existing high end turntable and plugging the line out into the line in on a good quality sound card. Unfortunately most PC's dont have a good quality sound card for input recording and adding one in can be an expensive proposition. Especially for a laptop.
Here is a cheap option - I've heard and read good things about it, but never used it myself. It is an external device - just plugs into the USB port of any Mac/Windows computer. $35 ~ $40 - and comes with a bunch of SW for tweaking the vinyl recordings. No phono pre-amp required.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techno.../dp/B00006BALQ

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #17

Sheryl-If you still need a belt go to LPGear.com. I just got one from them a few months ago. Great selection.

Quote:
Yeah, our albums have seen better days. The thing that is a bummer is we just bought a brand new cartridge for the turntable and then the belt went. So we were trying to repair or get it repaired first. When we couldn't find a shop that would fix it, SO took it apart and went at it himself. That didn't work either.

So then we tried to find another used turntable that we could put the cartridge on - THAT was more expensive than it was worth....

So I guess we'll end up buying a new one... after he built the special pull-out shelf for the turntable in the entertainment center...

Thanks for all the ideas.