Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Dilbert Ends 2009 With Another Classic
Old 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Dilbert Ends 2009 With Another Classic

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Never give gifts - unless they swear in blood they still believe in Santa Claus.

Save a lot on shopping that way.

heh heh heh - did I earn my Curmudgeon certificate or what?
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I guess the reason that this strip hit me as particularly funny (all of Dilbert is always funny to me) is that DW and I had a simular discussion on Friday AM while opening up a few gifts.

My idea was actually funnier than Scott Adams' as we have a joint checking account.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

Old 12-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
My idea was actually funnier than Scott Adams' as we have a joint checking account.
A few days before Christmas I ran into a woman friend downtown. She was shopping for her husband. She bought a few small things, 2 tee shirts and a couple pairs of socks, but since this was an Finnish shop that only sold hyper expensive stuff from Scandinavia it cost her about $200.

She has zero income or money, except her community property interest in her husband's earnings and eventually in his pension and perhaps a modest equity in their bungalow. If she were my wife (thank you Jesus!) I would prefer Tee shirt and socks from Target, and a smaller hit to my bank account.

Yesterday I was with another friend shoping for herself at Banana Republic. Stuff was way marked down, but still a good selection. While she was in the dressing room, a young good looking black woman came in with a prosperous looking black man who looked to be about 35 years her senoir. She scooped up a bunch of stuff, and he said " Honey, you know where to find me when you want to check out." They both were smiling and looked very happy with life. He may have been paying, but at least he got a lot of fine threads decorating her sweet young body for his cash.

Ha
Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
She has zero income or money, except her community property interest in her husband's earnings and eventually in his pension and perhaps a modest equity in their bungalow. If she were my wife (thank you Jesus!) I would prefer Tee shirt and socks from Target, and a smaller hit to my bank account.

Ha
Mr. Ha,

I'm trying to understand your economic theory of gifts during marriage. My salary is a little less than twice as much as my husband's pension. Does this mean he should only give me gifts that cost 50% as much as the ones I give him?

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

This seals it: unclemick is my hero. (Although the gentleman Ha observed in the Banana Republic might be a contender.)
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:30 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I'm trying to understand your economic theory of gifts during marriage.
I thought the point being made was - very likely the recipient values the gift about the same (socks and t-shirts) whether they come from a pricey boutique or from a Target store. Since they cost a LOT less from a Target store, likely the recipient might have appreciated if the cost to the (joint) bank account was a lot less.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
I thought the point being made was - very likely the recipient values the gift about the same (socks and t-shirts) whether they come from a pricey boutique or from a Target store. Since they cost a LOT less from a Target store, likely the recipient might have appreciated if the cost to the (joint) bank account was a lot less.
Yes; that is what I hoped to convey.

Ha
Old 01-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
Oh, OK. Guess I was misled by the information about the wife's dependence on the husband's resources. Thought there was a connection. A.

P.S. Actually my husband likes the free gifts best
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I guess the reason that this strip hit me as particularly funny (all of Dilbert is always funny to me) is that DW and I had a simular discussion on Friday AM while opening up a few gifts.

Write a check to each other then tear them up throw the pieces in the air and say Merry Christmas?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

dh2b got his sox and underwear for xmas from WallyWorld. This was his request for gifts, not my idea.
I didn't bother to wrap the sox. I used the red ribbon elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #12

I gave my daughter some $$ for Christmas. She in turn, used a good portion of it to pay me her Dec rent that I charge her. Almost an even trade.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I gave my office staff donations to a charity. They each got to choose the asset allocation where the money went. We all felt good!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I gave my office staff donations to a charity. They each got to choose the asset allocation where the money went. We all felt good!
You didn't use the Human Fund for all?

Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
dh2b got his sox and underwear for xmas from wallyworld.
i am not alone! <them's supposed to be caps.>