Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Diners, Roadhouses, Joints and Dives
Old 06-12-2006, 07:38 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner

Best Burger = Fatburger, Orange Ave, Pasadena, CA
Absolutely! There's a Fatburger in Westwoood, near UCLA. "Double king chili chees egg burger"

I'm in Fayetteville frequently, will try the China Inn on McPhereson Church Rd

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

califdreamer,
just today I ordered just 165 cents worth of shrimp dim sum (4 dumplings). *Yum, yum, from Louies on Stockton. *I've been informed that Chinese eat on Stockton, tourists on Grant.

There are 2 great *You's Dim Sums, one on Stockton and one on Washington. *Both are packed with Chinese. *Same prices and bad thing is they put all the dumplings in one bag, they start sticking together.

I think I found the holy graile of Chinese Dim Sum. *I'll try it out and let you know.

My good Chinese friend likes Kam Lok on Wahsington as his favorite.

Who knows, it's a big world of Chinese, I'm going to do my very best.

Old 06-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #43

samclem,
if you go to Fayetteville, let me know. My brother will take you there and at $5.25 for lunch, I'm sure he'll treat. He is pretty cool, he has professional racing, golfing, and tennis friends and he's a retail businessman. Pretty laid back guy.

The China Inn place is awesome, I was there for 4-5 days last summer and surprised to find a 50-60 item Chinese buffet in NC. Damn.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #44

Quote:
Sorry to hear Mama Dips is that bad these days. Back 15 years ago, or so, it was really good food. Darn.
The folks I went with thought it was great. Of course they were all from the Northeast or Florida, so they wouldn't know good down home southern food if it jumped out of the frying pan and bit them.
Old 06-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #45

Seems like Southern food doesn't impress much. Mama Dips down th tube.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #46

justin,
are you sure her food is not worth going over for anymore. Cause I just called my a friend in Cary goes by the name of Fat Duck on a couple of UNC boards and he said he still feels like the food is great.

Was the meal you guys had bad enough to write her place off as just a tourist trap?

I'm not going to reommend it anymore till I get some consensus. Lot's of taste buds and lots of opinions.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:57 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Moose's Tooth Pizza in Anchorage, Alaska

Order up their Thai chicken pizza and wash it down with a pitcher of their India Pale Ale. Have one of their excellent specialty beers for dessert. Take a cab home....
Old 06-13-2006, 05:07 AM   #48

It's 3AM and since ITM recommended a few spots in North Beach I thought it'd be worth a shot.

Damn, I think I got a tatoo but I can't see my chest for this little floozy asleep on top of me. She thinks we're married. Right, there is no way I was drunk enough to marry an 18 year old stripper.

It'll all be straightened out first thing in the morning.

Damn, who are those people in my kitchen cooking?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #49

Nona's Kitchen on coast, 15 minutes south of San Francisco is great little place. Great food, relatively cheap prices. I tried to meet Laurence and his wife there last year, but found it was closed. We went to the hideously expensive Mexican place next door instead.

http://www.nonaskitchen.com/
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 AM   #50

I was thinking over my grande this morning that the pursuit of the ultimate Ds, Rs, Js & Ds would be a worthy one.
An Early Retirement would be well spent in such an activity.

There might even be a book contract at Nolo for me - ESRBob could be my agent.

Possible titles -
Zen and the Art of Eating In Dives & Joints

How I Found Early Retirement Enlightenment and Happiness in America's Best Diners, Roadhouses, Joints and Dives

An Alternative - those on the forum with too much time on their hands could each take an area and Nolo could issue regional editions.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:18 AM   #51

Quote:
are you sure her food is not worth going over for anymore. Cause I just called my a friend in Cary goes by the name of Fat Duck on a couple of UNC boards and he said he still feels like the food is great.

Was the meal you guys had bad enough to write her place off as just a tourist trap?
Mama Dips was very average. Similar to the quality of cafeteria food or Golden Corral type food. When you get done eating, you're full. But you don't reflect on how great the meal was. The service was bad too.

Many reviewers at the CitySearch website agree with me:
http://triangle.citysearch.com/review/6158343

I have also noticed a trend in Chapel Hill. There are "Chapel Hill People" that like "Chapel Hill food".

To summarize "Chapel Hill food" and the typical Chapel Hill restaurant, the quality is low to average and the prices are high with a fu-fu atmosphere. Chapel Hill consumers seem to decide on a restaurant based on the name and reputation more so than the quality of food and service.

In general, if I'm able to identify a "Chapel Hill person" in advance, I just ask them for good restaurant recommendations, and that way I know which places to avoid like the plague. Maybe your buddy from Cary is a "Chapel Hill person". If he lives in Cary he's probably not from around here.

I would give you the names of some dives in Cary (I grew up there), but nothing was there 10 years ago, so nothing has acquired the "dive" title yet. Ask your buddy what local (Cary/Raleigh) dives he likes. Then I can tell you if he's a "Chapel Hill person". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #52

Tuba City Truck Stop, Tuba City, Arizona. It was crowded, but it appeared that we were the only non-Navajos when we had lunch there en route from Grand Canyon to Monument Valley. We loved the Navajo tacos--taco stuff on fry bread...now I'm drooling!
Old 06-13-2006, 10:22 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin

. . .* the quality is low to average and the prices are high with a fu-fu atmosphere.*
Do you really mean "fu-fu?"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fu+fu

:P

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Looks like, according to that dictionary, it is properly spelled "foo foo". See also "shi shi". Sometimes commonly referred to in the local vernacular as a compound phrase "foo foo shi shi". The latter phrase is not found in urbandictionary.com. Hope that helps!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

So there used to be some good places in Cary? I have lived there for last 20 years and I guess I'm an exception to norm (grew up in Burlington, NC).

Unfortunately for Mama Dips, I would agree with Justin. They moved/remodeled a number of years ago and it's not the same. Something is lost when a "dive" remodels or moves. In Burlington, it use to be Zack's for hot dogs, then they moved and it's not as good.*
Old 06-13-2006, 12:30 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-One
So there used to be some good places in Cary? I have lived there for last 20 years and I guess I'm an exception to norm (grew up in Burlington, NC).
We moved in 18 years ago. As you probably recall, there wasn't much there at the time that was more than a decade old. I've been living in Chapel Hill or Raleigh since 1998, but I go back frequently for shopping or visiting parents.

One "dive" I can think of in Cary is/was Serendipity's. I think they went down hill and are now closed. The one time I tried it I was underimpressed.

Everything else it seems has changed names or is closed now. Coyote Cafe, Fox and Hound (not a dive). Remington Grill is a pretty good local chain that started in Cary - great burgers+sanwiches and endless fries in a casual environment. But it's can't be more than 15 years old.

The problem with Cary is that it's all too nice to have dives. There may be a couple of Chinese take-out places and a mexican place or two that are dingy and old enough to be dives (Los Tres Magueyes comes to mind).
Old 06-13-2006, 01:07 PM   #57

how about:

Tantric Eating In Dives
Old 06-23-2006, 04:24 PM   #58

I just had the best sandwich in my long and perverted lifetime.

Saigon Sandwich on Larkin between Turk and Eddy. At 1:30PM still a line of 15 people waiting to get in. Place has one little round table and the counter is about 4 ft long. It was a zoo.

Roasted pork, and about 4 magical herbs. BBQ pork, carrot, onion cilantro, jalapeno, mayo, and magic Saigon sauce.

Here's an internet review of the place and believe every poster is correct in some way.l

Definitely try it if you hit SF. http://www.yelp.com/biz/hqQoVK0vadOX7_4gN1sh3g
Old 06-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #59

I'll have to add Bali Hai Mongolian Grill in Raleigh (they have a location in Durham too). http://www.balihainc.com/

I usually hit them up once a week or so for unbeatable Mongolian Grill food. Mmmm... I've never tasted the same flavors anywhere else. If only I could crack their secret recipe for the sauce and seasonings... Line out the door for 30-45 minutes during lunch. Arrive before 11:30 or after 12:30 for less than 15 minute wait!

It's been around for a two decades at least. Unfortunately the original Raleigh location just got flooded by Alberto last week. Hopefully it will reopen.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #60

justin,
I suspect that the Cambodians and Vietnamese use a lot of the same spices but this sandwich had sweet, lemony, peppery, aromatic, and meaty flavors all at once. Hard to imagine I've missed that combination because I've visited SE Asia a lot. Just not Vietnam.

I'll definitely be hitting this joint every week or two.

My brother mentioned a great Mongolian BBQ place in Durham but he likes Kemp's Seafood on H-70 for the broiled Cajun scallop and oyster plate.