Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Guys Guys guys - Roku 3 is where it's at: has a youtube channel available and is faster - worth the extra $30-40. Roku 2 doesn't have that channel available and you are gonna save so much $$ you can splurge a bit at the outset. We don't have decent OTA either up north or down here, but am not a sports nut, so when we dropped Dish it was no big loss. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime subscriptions (about $24/mo.) give us way too much tv - add in the free stuff on Youtube and we barely see the sun.

Imoldernu: "OTA only 5 religious channels from Iowa, even with a good antenna. Stuck! "

Geez - I get that you are older, but isn't 5 enough to guarantee your future? Guess I need to start playing catch up...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've never considered YouTube to have much to offer when it comes to 'serious' content, but maybe I'm missing something. What does it have in the way of movies or TV programs I can't get from another source (the OTA networks, Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc....)?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

it is more that the content (may be) different. and FREE is always nice. Finding content is difficult, but there are ways... here is a crowd-sourced group of some of the titles available on Youtube.
Full Movies On YouTube

Red Dog is on you tube - prefer cats, but that movie snuck up on me and poked me in the eyebulbs.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Guys Guys guys - Roku 3 is where it's at: has a youtube channel available and is faster - worth the extra $30-40. Roku 2 doesn't have that channel available and you are gonna save so much $$ you can splurge a bit at the outset.
I don't do much Youtube anyway. This is a "proof of concept" of ditching the dish to present to my wife anyway. If we commit to it and want more/better, we'll look into it. And if we do, I can probably eBay this for at least half of what I paid for it.

As for "faster", we only have about a 3-4 Mbps connection anyway, and has some dropouts to it, so I think "faster" might be overkill for us now.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:15 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

What do y'all cord cutters do about internet? Keep it with your cable company and just dump the TV part? I could (maybe) live without cable TV, although we seldom watch OTA TV. We're mostly on Sci-Fi, Discover, History, The Loser Channel (dw's ghost shows), and HGTV and Food. But still, TV is a life-force suck. But there's no way I could live without high speed internet. Even if the business didn't require it, it's my life-force suck of choice. I probably watch an hour or two of TV/day. But I'm on the computer probably 5-6 hours/day. Hmmm...maybe cutting the cable would actually add to my quality of life.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What do y'all cord cutters do about internet? Keep it with your cable company and just dump the TV part? I could (maybe) live without cable TV, although we seldom watch OTA TV. We're mostly on Sci-Fi, Discover, History, The Loser Channel (dw's ghost shows), and HGTV and Food. But still, TV is a life-force suck. But there's no way I could live without high speed internet. Even if the business didn't require it, it's my life-force suck of choice. I probably watch an hour or two of TV/day. But I'm on the computer probably 5-6 hours/day. Hmmm...maybe cutting the cable would actually add to my quality of life.
I think most cord-cutters are relying on reliable high-speed internet in order to deliver other sources of video, the the point where not having it would be a deal breaker in terms of cable-cutting.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think most cord-cutters are relying on reliable high-speed internet in order to deliver other sources of video, the the point where not having it would be a deal breaker in terms of cable-cutting.
+1

My internet provider and my cable (satellite actually) provider are entirely different entities. Cutting the cord will only work for us if I spend the extra $30/mo to upgrade my broadband connection speed from the current 1.5Mbps to the next available step-up speed, 6.0Mbps. Having the higher speed will be a welcomed byproduct of dumping DirecTV.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What do y'all cord cutters do about internet?...
I probably fall in the cheap frugal category in only having next to basic internet (slow DSL) and rely on plain OTA (no streaming through broadband).

For me, as long there's decent picture quality and programs like the morning and nightly world news and The Superbowl stay on free TV, then I'm game.

With an OTA DVR where I can pause live TV and such, I feel like a big shot

When I cut cable (a few years back) there are some shows I missed (Ghosthunters on Sci-fy, Bizarre Foods as examples), but I prefer saving the $ by cutting the cord.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My internet provider and my cable (satellite actually) provider are entirely different entities.
Ah, yes. I've lived in the boonies so long that I forgot that Internet and cable are often bundled....

Old 12-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

I already ordered the Roku 2. If I don't like it, I'll ship it to Rewahoo for a full refund. As far as youtube is concerned, I watch a few music videos but can continue doing that on my laptop. Not a big deal. I'll watch Netflix mainly so the Roku I bought should be fine.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I already ordered the Roku 2. If I don't like it, I'll ship it to Rewahoo for a full refund.
Send it on. I'd rather owe you all my life than not send you your refund.

Old 12-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm stuck... I'm all about sports and even if I bought internet sports package, it only covers out of market teams, plus NFL package is still exclusive through Direct. Though I get steamed about the price, it would actually be very reasonable without the add ons of 2 extra receivers ( 1 person can't watch 3 Tvs at the same time), HD, and DVR fee.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Guys Guys guys - Roku 3 is where it's at: has a youtube channel available and is faster - worth the extra $30-40. Roku 2 doesn't have that channel available and you are gonna save so much $$ you can splurge a bit at the outset. We don't have decent OTA either up north or down here, but am not a sports nut, so when we dropped Dish it was no big loss. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime subscriptions (about $24/mo.) give us way too much tv - add in the free stuff on Youtube and we barely see the sun.

Imoldernu: "OTA only 5 religious channels from Iowa, even with a good antenna. Stuck! "

Geez - I get that you are older, but isn't 5 enough to guarantee your future? Guess I need to start playing catch up...
Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase of the Roku 3! I really just made a wild guess...opting for the newest model. I read the part about how it was "5 times faster" and that was pretty much all I remember from the ad on Amazon this morning.

Also ordered a good quality HDMI cable to go along with the Roku. Price for the Roku was $89.99 & the cable was, I believe around $6, so a total of $96 for both, with free shipping & $0 tax. Supposed to be here in 2 days, so I'm looking forward to some "free" movies. And...I do use YouTube enough that it will have been a good decision to get the Roku model that supports it.

I really appreciate the link to the site with all those free YouTube movies, too.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Thanks for making me feel good about my purchase of the Roku 3! I really just made a wild guess...opting for the newest model. I read the part about how it was "5 times faster" and that was pretty much all I remember from the ad on Amazon this morning.
Marty, you done good!

I agree the Roku 3 offers several advantages over the less expensive Roku 2, but for clarification the "5 times faster" apparently refers not to how quickly the Roku 3 streams video, but how quickly the machine responds to menu inputs. From a comparison site:

Quote:
...the Roku 3 also features a faster processor than the older Roku models, which is going to make interaction with the various menus and features that much smoother. That is not to say that the Roku 2 XD system is sluggish; simply that the Roku 3 system is noticeably faster.
Roku 2 XD vs. Roku 3 - Solve Your Tech

Old 12-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I switched from Direct TV after over 10 years in September for a double play bundle from Comcast.

Get more channels, much faster Internet and save $60 a month the first year and $40 a month the second year. The catch is that I spent about $1200 on a Tivo setup so that I didn't have to deal with Comcast's poor DVR offerings.

Only way to play this game is to go back and forth and get the promotional deals. Before I quit Direct TV, I tried to get newer DVRs from them and they stonewalled me. Of course when I called to close the account, they made offers. They now send me mailings to come back, including offers to pay for the termination fees.

The pay TV business may have peaked, with the industry losing subscribers last year. I don't think it's cutting the cord phenomena as much as tepid economy forcing many households to cut back.

When my contract runs out in Sept of 2015, I'll shop deals again. Otherwise, that might be the time to look into cutting the cord, though I have no plans to give up watching sports then.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:32 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
I really appreciate the link to the site with all those free YouTube movies, too.
Did you like the Gomer Pyle USMC show? I did. If you do a search, every season is listed under youtube. Probably more stuff out there than I realized.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
it is more that the content (may be) different. and FREE is always nice. Finding content is difficult, but there are ways... here is a crowd-sourced group of some of the titles available on Youtube.
Full Movies On YouTube

Red Dog is on you tube - prefer cats, but that movie snuck up on me and poked me in the eyebulbs.
There a lot more movies than this on YouTube. Problem is you have to blindly look. I noticed from the above list a movie I wouldn't mind watching so my wife and I sat down to one last night. I then typed in a couple of odd movies like Eddie and the Cruisers 2 and (because I read them all when I was young) Doc Savage....which I might have to watch for the first time in a gazillion years....if I remember correctly, it was pretty bad (my kind of movie). Both movies are there.....guess I should make a list of them and keep track.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
.....guess I should make a list of them and keep track.
Not sure how reliable that list would be as I suspect YouTube plays a lot of "whack-a-mole" with copyright infringement issues. Here today, gone in a minute or two...

Old 12-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
OTA only 5 religious channels from Iowa, even with a good antenna.

Stuck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
There a lot more movies than this on YouTube. Problem is you have to blindly look. I noticed from the above list a movie I wouldn't mind watching so my wife and I sat down to one last night. I then typed in a couple of odd movies like Eddie and the Cruisers 2 and (because I read them all when I was young) Doc Savage....which I might have to watch for the first time in a gazillion years....if I remember correctly, it was pretty bad (my kind of movie). Both movies are there.....guess I should make a list of them and keep track.
The site I listed doesn't make pretense of being exhaustive. It is a list of individual movies that people post because they found/enjoyed/were amused by them. Great for lazy people like me looking for suggestions of something that is likely to be available.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm only at 1.5Mb currently but my internet supplier offers a 6Mb service. I'm going to sign up for a month of that to see how it works before I cancel the satellite...
Are you on satellite internet service? We are currently cellular at the house and it's starting to be a drag.