Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

DirecTV and Dish 2014 price increase
Old 12-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

DirecTV and Dish 2014 price increase

Dish and DirecTV hike prices for 2014 - Dec. 24, 2013

Quote:
DirecTV's 4.4% average price increase is higher than last year's 3.2% hike...

Dish once again raised prices by more than DirecTV. The No. 2 satellite TV provider said it would hike fees by 5.5% next year following its steep 16.3% price hike at the beginning of 2013.
I've been toying with cutting the cable dish and this will probably do it for me. We've had DirecTV since moving out here in the limestone hills 15 years ago and we've been paying $800+ per year for a basic non-HD package. Yes, we can easily afford it but I don't think we're getting real value for our money. Most of the TV we watch is regular network programming via our OTA antenna. About all I watch via satellite is college football and an occasional CNN program, and DW has a couple of shows she watches on HGTV and TLC. We both agree we can live without them.

I figure we can upgrade our braodband speed, pay for Hulu+ or Netflix and still come out ahead by $30 to $35/mo. The DirecTV increase hits in February, so I now have my first (and probably only) resolution for the new year.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hope I can get DW on board to cut the cable/satellite. I'm ready (I could live with OTA & a streaming box), she's resisting mightily even though TV is welcome background noise to her mostly...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Satellite Guys Forum has a topic with the new prices listed.
New 2014 DIRECTV Prices

Scroll down past the ads in the first post to see the unconfirmed price list.

We have a legacy package called Choice Xtra Classic that is not listed but I'll expect a $2-$3 increase.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I switched from Comcast to D-tv in June.....very much considered killing all those companies off. I told Comcast if our bills weren't lowered we were heading elsewhere but they ignore me. So.....when I call to quit THEN they offer me money off....not a brain in their heads. If we are still here when this contract runs out June 2015 I will go internet. Nice to have a couple of local channels, but we only get about 4 through the airwaves. Been watching a bunch of BBC stuff lately which we had missed. Just about to kill of my Verizon cell phones as well and go with something like Tracfone. We don't use our phones much (not smartphones) and $82 for both of our phones is way more than we need.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #5

The only reason we have not 'cut the cord' is sports and my geographic location behind a small mountain makes OA TV not good. Maybe when we actually retire and move I can convince DW of the value.

But I'm ready. I have a Roku and a PC tower with an HDMI output, and have learned much from this one Roku Yahoo Group 'roku private channel users group' Yahoo Groups

Also, here is a cut the cord thread from the Roku forum Roku Forums • View topic - Question For Cable Cord Cutters

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
The only reason we have not 'cut the cord' is sports and my geographic location behind a small mountain makes OA TV not good.
We're fortunate to live high on a hill with excellent OTA reception of all local stations. But like you, giving up ESPN and the other sports channels will be a sacrifice.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #7

The only streaming sports that would be like cable or sat. charges just as much. This site has some examples Cord Cutter Sports | Cord Cutter Guide

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We're real close to doing the same. But we're in a rural area where we don't really have good enough internet to reliably sustain streaming HD video, so until then we may be stuck.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We're real close to doing the same. But we're in a rural area where we don't really have good enough internet to reliably sustain streaming HD video, so until then we may be stuck.
I'm only at 1.5Mb currently but my internet supplier offers a 6Mb service. I'm going to sign up for a month of that to see how it works before I cancel the satellite...
Old 12-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

OTA only 5 religious channels from Iowa, even with a good antenna.

Stuck!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #11

Have a little more than a year on Dish, and OTA digital not an option. However Aereo for $8 a month, Hulu + $8, Netflix $8, and Amazon Prime $6.5 (but I use it mostly for shipping), add $5 to upgrade internet, and it all adds up to about $35 a month. That is a lot cheaper than what I pay for dish! Does anyone have any experience with Aereo? It is the one unknown for me.

Edit: Added:
Just checked, Aereo will not fight the cable companies attempt to get a Supreme Court decision. However, Fox and CBS say they will stop OTA and go Cable if the ruling is in Aereo's favor. Could be an interesting year.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Sure wish I could get the price that they quote. Receiver charges, fees, and and taxes make it 90% higher.
Guess I'll call around and start complaining.

MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
...Just about to kill of my Verizon cell phones as well and go with something like Tracfone. We don't use our phones much (not smartphones) and $82 for both of our phones is way more than we need.
Speaking of which, on a slight detour from TV to cellphone subscriptions, I did just that earlier this year. (I spoke about this some time ago in another thread.)

After having a flip-phone (not even close to a smartphone) for some three years on Verizon, at around $51/month, and dropping my home landline during that time, I researched other phone options--because I don't "phone call" others that much. I don't use my phone to text, take photos or go on the Internet. I use my phone to speak with others on the phone. That's it! And, particularly since I've ER'd, I use my phone much less than I did when I was w*rking.

My research led me to go the Tracfone route. Last February I spent ~$125 at Amazon.com buying a Tracfone-compatible cellphone, some 90 days of minutes, a life-time triple minute option, and some accessories. Then in July I upped my (triple) minutes for a new one-year period, with some (triple) bonus minutes by buying from the Tracfone Web site for $100, rather than buying at my local grocery store--which also sells Tracfone cards, but with local sales tax the Tracfone site doesn't add.

So, I've spent $125 + $100 so far this year ($225), and I've still got 1750 minutes remaining until I have to renew again in July 2014 for another $100 for another one year and 1,200 minutes or more (depending upon any bonus minutes offered at that time by Tracfone).

That is working out to be under $9/month, compared to ~$50/month.

In my ER, every dollar counts.
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Overall, I'm happy with cutting the cord and going OTA and really like the new OTA DVR as you may have seen on the other thread...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ain-69664.html
Old 12-24-2013, 11:52 PM   #15

Yup, my dish bill went up by $5. If it weren't for the golf channel (DW can't live without it), I'd scale it back further. I did scale it back by $15/month after getting Netflix ($8) a few months ago. I think that's the trend and Dish/DTV must raise price to make up for the decreasing subscribers.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 04:34 AM   #16

Quote:
I told Comcast if our bills weren't lowered we were heading elsewhere but they ignore me. So.....when I call to quit THEN they offer me money off....not a brain in their heads.
To be fair, from what I've learned through my industry contacts, most people who make such threats don't follow through, and there is no effective way for a company to tell the difference between someone who will and who won't unless they wait until the customer takes the chance that the company will call their bluff by turning off service, so they have to play the odds. Most service providers are evidently now offering on-request discounts the first two or three times, but after that many of them are requiring that the customer upgrade to a higher level of service to qualify for a discount.

Quote:
If we are still here when this contract runs out June 2015 I will go internet.
I've looked into that. It's a non-starter for us. Much of what we watch doesn't effectively make it to "the Internet" as such (i.e., non-premium Internet services), in a format my hearing-impaired spouse can enjoy. And for myself, I'm too much of a fan of how DD5.1 enhances the enjoyment of many of these programs to give that up for a lesser, Internet-based experience.

We've looked into premium Internet services, such as Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime Instant Video, and they're okay as fillers, but their selections are incredibly poor (as compared to Netflix's DVD selection, for example). I need to revisit Roku and see if their selection has gotten any better. I'm looking for a service that has a selection as good as Netflix's DVD selection, with DD5.1 and subtitles.

We have switched to DVD from premium services (HBO, Showtime, Starz), paying $20 for a month of DVDs to catch up on a year's worth of original programming and movies on a premium service. However, I fear that gravy train may end sometime soon. We've got two seasons of one series, and one season of three other series, that have been in our Netflix queue for years. It doesn't look like they're ever going to make it to DVD.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:26 AM   #17

I took advantage of a deal on a refurbished Roku XD for $40. No time like the present to move forward on my 'cut the satellite' resolution.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I took advantage of a deal on a refurbished Roku XD for $40. No time like the present to move forward on my 'cut the satellite' resolution.
Thanks for the tip. Will probably pick one up.

When I was in my previous house, I dropped cable and did exactly as you described. I was completely fine with Netflix and an HD indoor antenna. I received 10 channels with that, half in HD. When my mom passed away earlier this year, I moved into her house and dropped cable but did resign as a new customer and got a great deal for 6 months. I did that for college football and golf channels. But when the deal expires in Feb, I will drop cable again. And I can play the game again in a few months because Comcast considers you a new customer(after 3 months, might be 4-6) and I will be eligible for better deals once again. Doubt I will do that though as I do not plan to be in this house full time next year. But will see.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #19

I just ordered a Roku 3 from Amazon. I have an Amazon Prime account, which costs $79 a year, but as much as my wife reads (Kindle) & downloads free books from Amazon, it's well worth the cost. I'm figuring that with the Roku, we'll probably end up downgrading or even eliminating cable in the near future. Should have the Roku in a couple of days.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Same here: $43 with shipping and tax. Small price to pay to see if it works well enough to sell DW on ditching the dish. We have a smart TV with built in wifi but it sucks and drops connection all the time. We have a PC connected also so we can go to a website (such as Hulu or Amazon Prime video) and play it that way and the wifi is good... but is too clunky for a high "wife acceptance factor". Maybe this will work.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote