Join Early Retirement Today

Disable Java? Time to disable?
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disable Java? Time to disable?

Interesting development in the world of Java (not the coffee kind, the browser kind).

And further described here.

Finally, how do I disable Java in a browser? Oracle tells us how.

Does anyone see a huge Java security issue, and you need to disable Java right now (like Homeland Security has declared)?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #2

It's never a good idea to leave running any plug-ins that you're not actively using.

The real answer here is for Oracle to design and release a fixed version of Java and tell everyone to upgrade.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #3

You should disable windows also if worried about security

Really there is so much now that requires JAVA to work it's hard to disable it completely and be able to use the internet. Most SSL VPN connections are implemented by JAVA, logging into bank etc. You could run IE in noaddons mode to see if your daily browsing activity would be interrupted ( it runs much master with no addons for sure ). Then you can check what addons you really need and disable the others.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Interesting development in the world of Java (not the coffee kind, the browser kind).

And further described here.

Finally, how do I disable Java in a browser? Oracle tells us how.

Does anyone see a huge Java security issue, and you need to disable Java right now (like Homeland Security has declared)?
I read this too and had the same thoughts but then (see next comment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

Really there is so much now that requires JAVA to work it's hard to disable it completely and be able to use the internet. Most SSL VPN connections are implemented by JAVA, logging into bank etc. You could run IE in noaddons mode to see if your daily browsing activity would be interrupted ( it runs much master with no addons for sure ). Then you can check what addons you really need and disable the others.
I remember this being raised months ago. I asked someone and was told Java is used to run and format windows and a lot of things. Not having Java would probably make life difficult or miserable or impossible so I just thought I better leave well enough alone.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
gone traveling

Which is why I run fedora Yes, microsoft is relegated to a virtual machine that I revert the state of after each use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmrtn View Post

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

Have uninstalled java. Will let you know what negatives I find.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

An FYI - There's Java and there's javascript. The security issue pertains to java, not javascript. Disabling javascript will break a lot of pages.

So make sure you disable java (plug-in in firefox) not javascript (in options/content in firefox)
Old 01-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxp036000 View Post
Which is why I run fedora Yes, microsoft is relegated to a virtual machine that I revert the state of after each use.
No Java on Linux?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
An FYI - There's Java and there's javascript. The security issue pertains to java, not javascript. Disabling javascript will break a lot of pages.

So make sure you disable java (plug-in in firefox) not javascript (in options/content in firefox)
The Oracle page shows you how to disable Java in all browsers through their control panel (if you have it).

Or you can go browser by browser and disable in each.

It's being fixed, they say.

I am really tired about the update check in Windows 7. Can't kill it with a stick.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
gone traveling

I was addressing the comment about disabling windows.

Quote:
No Java on Linux?
Old 01-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #11

Quote:
No Java on Linux?
Sure there is java on linux. The issue is more of windows because of how it is used. If people would stop using their windows running with administrator privileges it would stop the majority of the virus issues.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #12

Quote:

Thank you for that distinction, I would have thought these were one and the same.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #13

Was greeted this morning by a Java update which Oracle indicates is a security fix.
Whether or not this is the cure all for the issue in this thread, I don't know.
Its been installed and I'm ready to face a new day..w/fingers crossed.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:

Like the previous poster, I think this is an example of great communication where you tell people not only what to do and then anticipate the trap that they might fall into and tell them also what not to do. Even tho I knew this some years ago from SIL who works at Google who communicated it to me as clearly as you did, I still recognize and appreciate it as a valuable contribution that shows you understand how the real world (and people) work.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #15

With Java deleted, I haven't found anything that doesn't work...

Talk about weird. Headlines, bulletins, warnings, panic... and I still haven't seen a "news" article that says what to do about it, unless you count this:
Oracle releases emergency Java update - chicagotribune.com

Dunno if it's just me, but my old computer basically stopped this AM, as Microsoft downloaded a 156 meg update. Took almost an hour to find, download, check, unpack, install, then restart and wait another 5 minutes to load. Thankfully, I still have my old Emachine, with Windows 3.11.

The Joys of Progress....
Old 01-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, Yahoo games, Spades, doesn't work. They are still showing Java disabled at 10:30 EST. I hope they pull it together today-Java. I'm bored-no cards.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

New Java Vulnerability

Greetings all,
There is a new "zero-day" security flaw identified in Oracle's February 19 Java SE Version 7 Update 15. 0-day refers to a security hole that has not been publicly disclosed yet, and so doesn’t have a patch available. You can google Java vulnerability.

I use Firefox and the crew there has automatically disabled the Java Add-ins. (For those who wear beanies with multiple propellers , go to bugzilla.com and read the thread on bug #843373).

Don't know what y'all did in response to the January/February alert, but you should probably keep doing it (i.e. for IE (pun intended!) disable Java from the Control Panel. Chrome? Linux?

Felix

Felix Mulier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use firefox, and am glad to hear the Mozilla people have cya'ed me. I have one propeller but it doesn't turn much. Much better with stuff i can put my hands on.