Join Early Retirement Today

disgusting suntrust advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

disgusting suntrust advertisement

quite the ad from a bank living on $3.5 billion of other people's bailout money.

they didn't even wait for the flies to settle.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I note that the father and daughter are dancing in a kitchen with a Subzero refrigerator and a Wolf or, perhaps, Viking oven. Yeah, they're all about getting back to the simple, unadorned life. (although, since my kitchen looks almost exactly like it, I'm a fine one to talk)

Old 12-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #3

I went with Kenmore, and I got the same look. I just have to keep my guests 30' away from the kitchen and serve plenty of cheap whiskey.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:46 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what about the ad offends you, but for me the message is fine. It's the hypocrisy of a bank delivering that message that I'm tripping over.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Not sure what about the ad offends you, but for me the message is fine. It's the hypocrisy of a bank delivering that message that I'm tripping over.
I agree, the message is a good one, too bad they were part of the old behavior.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's very much like when the guy who used to sell heroin to the school kiddies gets busted, and in return for a shorter sentence goes around to Jr. High auditoriums saying
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HM36~Drugs-Are-Bad-Posters.jpg (30.0 KB, 2 views)
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
oh, so it was the hypocrisy that makes the message so offensive. hey, that's brilliant! why didn't i think of that?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
... I went with Kenmore, and I got the same look. I just have to keep my guests 30' away from the kitchen...
I let my guests in my kitchen. They seem more interested in the food I serve...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, my, my refrigerator (that needs to be de-frosted manually) and stove (also last century) qualify as reflecting a "simple unadorned life." Maybe, but so many people, even in this country, have so much less (or will have less)? All things considered, I feel wealthy; retired three months and my bloodshot eyes have cleared up, the whites look white, I'm sleeping straight thru the night, and I'm so relaxed.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 AM   #10

"live solid / bank solid" from a failed bank is pretty hilarious.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
"live solid / bank solid" from a failed bank is pretty hilarious.
There's more to come from other banks who were in the TARP soupline...

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I let my guests in my kitchen. They seem more interested in the food I serve...
and not in my lack of top-notch appliances (which I wouldn't mind having as I would surely use and appreciate them).

Don't you hate it when you fire off a quick post, only to realize later it conveys an entirely different meaning than what you intended?
Old 12-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #13

disgusting nissan advertisement

"you need more than a car. you need a car company."

Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM   #14

Oh geez lazy.. you would have LOVED an advert for the Italian pro soccer league (or for a sports TV channel) here a year or two ago.. It said something like "we'll always be with you" or "we'll never abandon you" and showed soccer stars being carried about piggyback by regular ordinary people on their way to work and whatnot.

Couldn't have been a better metaphor for the pro-sports parasite paradigm.

Hey! I found it! too funny!

The (classic song) lyrics go:

And we will never leave each other
We have too many things together
If we get angry at each other, then..
We'll find each other, again..
One body and one soul.

Sky: The great soccer is always with you

I remember this particularly airing after a huge corruption scandal.
The soccer players are paid hugely! And the stadiums all publicly financed and so forth (gack). They routinely go through bankruptcies, bailouts and re-orgs, though at a more frequent pace than US auto companies.

--edit: I don't think they are even publicly 'financed'.. they just give them a stadium outright.

Anyway, the ad was remarkable mostly for how openly it displayed the sado-maso relationship. Like an abusive husband to a battered wife: "I've cheated, run off with all your cash and made you mad.. but we're made for each other, baby! You can't live without me!"
Old 12-19-2008, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
Oh geez lazy.. you would have LOVED an advert for the Italian pro soccer league (or for a sports TV channel) here a year or two ago.. It said something like "we'll always be with you" or "we'll never abandon you" and showed soccer stars being carried about piggyback by regular ordinary people on their way to work and whatnot.
Yeah. And the other day, the New York Yankees announced that they wanted another $350 million or so from NYC to finish their brand new stadium.

If they need the money that badly, how have they been able to commit $250 million on contracts for two free agent pitchers in the last few days (CC Sabathia and AJ Burnett)? If you can throw $250 million at two players, you don't need any more corporate welfare from taxpayers.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:55 AM   #16

More stuff to make yiz ill:

Quote:
Taxpayers paying for sponsorships on sports teams, stadiums and college bowl games

Under the financial bailout, taxpayers are becoming silent investors in numerous banks and other financial institutions. The funny thing is, I don’t really think we will ever see any return on our investment. Many of the bailout recipients have paid big bucks for naming rights on everything from sports stadiums to soccer teams to college bowl games.

Here’s a quick listing of some of the more notable examples:

Citi Field– Fresh out of double dipping for more federal cash, Citigroup is poised to have the new New York Mets ball park named for them.

AIG – The front of the jersey of Manchester United is emblazoned with a large AIG, the team’s sponsor. However, considering the $150 billion U.S. taxpayers have poured into the company, perhaps “U.S. Taxpayer” would be a more appropriate moniker.

NFL – Several NFL teams are banking on the stadiums, the Carolina Panthers play at Bank of America stadium, and the Baltimore Ravens play at M&T Bank stadium.

College Bowl season kicks off with the EagleBank Bowl, played in the nation’s capital and named for one of the applicants for the financial bailout package. Formerly known as the Citrus Bowl, the Capital One Bowl will be played New Year’s Day in Orlando, FL. Later that same day, the Nittany Lions will be playing in the granddaddy of bowl games, the Rose Bowl Presented by Citi.
Taxpayers paying for sponsorships on sports teams, stadiums and college bowl games | Kevin Colby: News and Political blog
Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis: Economic Potpourri December 22, 2008
Old 12-23-2008, 01:40 PM   #17

ladel, at least your guys are making fun of themselves. our idiots take themselves seriously.