Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Disney executive dead at 41 from cancer
Old 01-11-2015, 01:26 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Disney executive dead at 41 from cancer

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/elizabeth-...053207799.html

Sad. Cancer terrifies me at age 44 and yet I spend a lot of time worrying about if I will have enough money when I am 85.

I know everyone on here tries to control their finances to a great degree and maybe it is because we have so little control over things like cancer.

Really need to think if that OMY is necessary or if you should get on with your dreams before they are taken away unexpectedly.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 01:30 PM   #2

That's one of those random events one just cannot plan for other than living a healthy lifestyle. In our old neighborhood one of the neighbor's grown children died from it. He was 21.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Pointless to worry about it. I learned that lesson when I was 12 years old.
A good friend's older brother was big, handsome, and a star athlete, as well as being a great guy and liked by everyone.
In his second year of high school, he was playing intramural basketball in the gym one afternoon after class. At one point, he stopped playing and walked out to the hall and sat down on a bench. He never got up again. Massive heart attack.

We simply don't know when our time will be up, except for my uncle, who was told the exact date by the judge so why let it disturb your sleep?
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There was recent study (I heard about on the PBS Newshour, so don't have a link) that should that about 2/3 of cancers result from nothing other than random bad luck. Luck was much more important than genetic or life style. Although things like smoking still cause the bulk of lung cancer deaths and genetics was very important in some cancers.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

When I was still working f.t. I used to say that I was really going to be pissed if I died before I retired. It always made people laugh.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #6
gone traveling

Probably best to live your life and not to worry too much about cancer making you the wealthiest guy in the cemetery.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Probably best to live your life and not to worry too much about cancer making you the wealthiest guy in the cemetery.
'

+1
Compltely agree. Also see this: Death rates from cancer in the US continue to drop - Medical News Today

Death from cancer has dropped 22% since 1991, but is still an issue. Notice the article mentions the link between cancer and lifestyle issues such as obesity, smoking and cancer. From the article:

Quote:
"[Cancer] is already the leading cause of death among adults aged 40 to 79 and is expected to overtake heart disease as the leading cause of death among all Americans within the next several years.

"The change may be inevitable, but we can still lessen cancer's deadly impact by making sure as many Americans as possible have access to the best tools to prevent, detect, and treat cancer."
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
'
Death from cancer has dropped 22% since 1991, but is still an issue.
"Death from cancer . . .is still an issue".
I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
There was recent study (I heard about on the PBS Newshour, so don't have a link) that should that about 2/3 of cancers result from nothing other than random bad luck. Luck was much more important than genetic or life style. Although things like smoking still cause the bulk of lung cancer deaths and genetics was very important in some cancers.
I recall that also, it was a John Hopkins study, Bad Luck of Random Mutations Plays Predominant Role in Cancer, Study Shows - 01/01/2015

A random bad mutation in one your cell divisions....
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I am 58 years old. I know I will die from my Multiple Myeloma (MM) cancer sooner, rather than later. I have had MM for more than 5 years. The average lifespan for someone diagnosed with MM is 48 months. Even with all my various cancer treatments and their side effects, my wife and I continue to live and save as we always have. I want to leave my wife with ample funds for her retirement, and we both would like to eventually leave our son a large inheritance. We certainly do not want to burden him with taking care of his mother later in her life. We have also saved quite a bit in our son's 529 college fund, and continue to add $500 every month. We want him to be able to graduate with zero debt.

The one thing I am hoping to accomplish before I check out is to help steer our son into a good engineering college, like Cal Poly SLO or UC Berkeley. Even though he is only 13, he has shown good engineering aptitude, and has said he wants to study to be some sort of engineer in college. My wife and I are both mechanical engineers who work in the aerospace industry. We enjoy what we do.

Life, whether it's long or short, is what you make of it. I continue to be the best husband and father that I can be under our current circumstances.

I should also mention that we have great health and disability insurance through work. All my cancer treatments have hardly cost us anything. We also have a $200k term life insurance policy through work. On top of that, I took out a 25 year $500k term life insurance policy when our son was born that we continue to keep current.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Tortoise, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis and I wish you and your family the best of times for the time you have left.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 PM   #12

Tortoise. My dad had MM. I hope your treatments allow you to see your son go to college and fulfill his dreams.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
...I wish you and your family the best of times for the time you have left.
And may that time be far, far longer than you dare hope and full of the very best that life has to offer.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
gone traveling

Tortoise, My DW's uncle lived with MM for more than 15 years, so hopefully you are one those who are outside the stats the Drs quote.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Statistics are improving, and just this week, a new breakthrough. Thankfully, a diagnosis isn't always correct, or accurate as far as longevity is concerned.

This government site has statistics on the different types of cancer.

Cancer of the Colon and Rectum - SEER Stat Fact Sheets

As a survivor, (colon cancer and sigmoid section in 1989) it was interesting to see how the survival rate has improved.

The MM pages have statistics covering the success rates of many different drugs and clinical tests.

NCI Search Results - National Cancer Institute Enter the type of cancer.

Tortoise... wish you the best... Always the other side of "odds"... for me, 64% survival for 5 years... Already beaten that by 20 years. Keep that positive attitude!
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Tortoise, My DW's uncle lived with MM for more than 15 years, so hopefully you are one those who are outside the stats the Drs quote.
+1
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tortoise, it's very sad that you drew this card. Push back and do your best to enjoy life, as you may get further down the road than the docs tell you.

Fermion, get on the bike or sled and shake off the clouds, for pete's sake. Fourties? Are you nuts?
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
"Death from cancer . . .is still an issue".
I don't think anyone will disagree with that.
Yes, not quite sure what I was thinking there. Seems like the thought train derailed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
+1
+2
I know two cases of people who have been in remission for years after serious scares.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:27 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Heard about the same study. I found the conclusion quite surprising. But I guess that's why one person could be a smoker all his life and not have cancer whereas someone else lives a much cleaner life but come down with cancer.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:39 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Tortoise, I have a friend who is entering his 7th year with MM. He like you has had many difficult treatments, but usually looks and feels good I am sure you give thanks for your steadfast wife frequently. My friend also has a diamond of a wife who makes his life joyful and sooths the rough spots. His sons grew up with his help, and helped him too. The oldest started at SF State last fall, and he felt joyful about this.

Ha