Join Early Retirement Today

Disney World
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Disney World

DW and I are going to Disney in April (for a week) with some other relatives. We are staying on site. Wondering if anyone else here has gone and can offer any advice for true Disney noobies

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Disney World
Old 03-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If it's crowded, make use of the fastpasses.

Try a turkey leg.

When my family went for the first time, I made great use of the "unofficial" guidebook to Disney World.

If you have kids, have them get a passport at Epcot and get it stamped in all the different countries.

Other than that, have fun.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:30 PM   #3

Yes, the Fastpasses are your friend...making use of them wisely can mean the difference between waiting in miserable lines all day and walking onto most rides with a 5 minute wait.

I'd plan on spending a minimum of 2 full days in each of the 4 main parks if you want to see most things.

Don't miss the parades - all 4 parks have them, at least once per day - but you'll need to get a seat early if you are short or have kids with you. If you are tall you can get there late and still mostly enjoy it.

Also try and take in the fireworks shows in each of the parks at night - Epcot and Magic Kingdon and MGM all have one.

Stop and enjoy the live performances that popup as you make your way from ride to ride...don't rush by them just because you need to get on the next ride; they can be as much fun as the rides.

If you haven't' already, pick up Birnbaums Guide to WDW. Its worth it - read it and bring it with you; if you've never been there you can miss a lot and waste a lot of time if you don't have a plan.

http://www.amazon.com/Birnbaums-Walt...5027336&sr=8-1

Old 03-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

My advice would be to drive in an opposite direction until you hit a coast, and hang out on the beach.

(not a fan of crowds & lines, didn't even care for disney as a kid).

Seriously though have a good time,

John
Old 03-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #5

Thanks all. That is like the fourth time I have heard about the turkey legs. And I guess fastpass is real important to use
Old 03-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Get to the parks early .
Old 03-27-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've visited DisneyWorld more times than I can count...first visit was ON THE DAY IT OPENED IN 1971! I must have been/am crazy. Whatever.

Since you're staying on the property, suggest you take advantage of the early admission (1 hour before the parks open to the public) and head first to those attraction/rides that are your highest priority. Saves lots of time.

Also, since you'll be close by, you might plan to go back to your hotel around noon for lunch, (much cheaper than on the property) swim, nap, whatever, then go back to the park rejuvenated for the rest of the day.

And, when you enter the park(s) DON'T follow the crowds who will generally head to the right -- instead, start out at the left and circle the park counter to the majority of the visitors. The stuff on the left tends to be less visited earlier in the day, while the attractions on the right side tend to be crowded.

Souvenirs are EXPENSIVE -- and at the end of each ride/attraction, you'll be herded through a "theme" gift shop. Set and stick to a budget for this crap these mementos and buy them at the end of the day...otherwise you're stuck carrying it all day (although you can have your purchases held at guest services till you leave.)

Pretend you're a kid...have a great time!

Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi,

Been many times.

Get to the parks for the "hour early" opening.

DITTO go to the left and get deep into the park. We have been able to get on at least 10 rides with no lines and once they reach about 1/2 an hour we head to lunch then pool or beach.

Wait for a day with over cast or even light rain to go to the Animal Kingdom. Animals hide out when it is hot and sunny. Skip the Train Ride, not sure what it's called but it basically takes you one way and kind of shows you how animal kingdom is ecollogically friendly..Unless your REALLY into that stuff.

If you are a bit of a Partier or are a party animal, Pleasure Island is a blast. They have Rock Cliubs, Blues Clubs, Comedy Clubs. Even a disco where folks dress in 70's disco clothes. All kinds of Live acts popping up on stages. Bars all over the place. Rock club had one of the best live bands I have ever seen. There were even Sluts Groupies there looking to hook up with the band.

Have Fun,

WDISNEYWORLD.