Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Disneyworld as a study in the Devolution of Society...
Old 12-25-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Disneyworld as a study in the Devolution of Society...

Sitting in EPCOT having a nice glass of wine, waiting for my daughter, contemplating societal (d)evolution.

Disney is an absolute zoo at Christmas. Wall to wall people. I've been here in the past for Christmas, and it has never been like this before.

People push and shove for position to everything. Walking in Animal Kingdom after a parade, the man behind me put his arm horizontally in my back and shoved me into someone else. We were waiting for the electric parade on Christmas Eve; they have masking tape on the ground to demarcate where you can sit/stand. We were standing for over 1.5 hours to hold our spot. 10 minutes to go and people just show up and try to "back themselves" into us and shove us back. Today, was watching the candlelight procession in EPCOT, really nice, full orchestra, 100 singers, and Gary Sinise live narrating the Christmas story; the lady behind me and her daughter are yacking away.

In any of these situations, my mother would have had my hide if I behaved in any of these ways. The lack of consideration or respect is appalling. It's sad and disheartening.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #2
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REattempt View Post
Sitting in EPCOT having a nice glass of wine, waiting for my daughter, contemplating societal (d)evolution.

Disney is an absolute zoo at Christmas. Wall to wall people. I've been here in the past for Christmas, and it has never been like this before.

People push and shove for position to everything. Walking in Animal Kingdom after a parade, the man behind me put his arm horizontally in my back and shoved me into someone else. We were waiting for the electric parade on Christmas Eve; they have masking tape on the ground to demarcate where you can sit/stand. We were standing for over 1.5 hours to hold our spot. 10 minutes to go and people just show up and try to "back themselves" into us and shove us back. Today, was watching the candlelight procession in EPCOT, really nice, full orchestra, 100 singers, and Gary Sinise live narrating the Christmas story; the lady behind me and her daughter are yacking away.

In any of these situations, my mother would have had my hide if I behaved in any of these ways. The lack of consideration or respect is appalling. It's sad and disheartening.
having been to disneyworld many times i know not to go during holidays.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I would ask for my money back, and leave! That doesn't sound like any fun at all. Sorry your Christmas holiday was spoiled like that.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been several times and for these reasons, always avoid holidays. People act crazy!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

Much of the rudeness at Disney stems from the over crowding that Disney permits to happen. After paying nearly 90 bucks to get in, and then waiting 90 minutes or so in line for an attraction, look out. Many haul butt to the next ride with blinders on. People have a sense of entitlement to that great view of the parade, even if they have to push someone else out of the way.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

I was there a week ago but didn't encounter any rude people. Glad I went when I did. It was somewhat crowed but very tolerable. I attended A Very Merry Christmas Party and the large performance in the open air theater at Hollywood Studio, both nights it was wall to wall people. I was amazed how patient people were.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #7

Quote:
We were standing for over 1.5 hours to hold our spot.
No matter how I try, I just can't even imagine myself doing that. For anything.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Rudeness, lack of respect or consideration isn't limited to Disney's attractions though, is it?
Your post could be referencing just about any mall or Main St in this country. Having a little class and respect for others has given way to "doing your own thing".
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

It used to be a special thing to go to Disneyland/world/Six Flags et al. Now it's expected and "deserved".
WestLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #10

People are just too into themselves and their own thing now. There is so little concern or consideration of others. We see the same thing pretty much wherever people gather: Airplanes and airports are worse than theme parks, though. If you want to see a really gruesome scene, watch what happens when a flight is cancelled and people have to rush around to try to get rebooked onto another flight.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Everyone equally deserves to be there. I'm sure no one else is happy with the crowds, which all of you are equally contributing to, right?

Probably the holiday attendance is just building back up to the pre-recession levels of 2007.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #12

Only one of the four theme parks closed due to capacity yesterday. I remember years in the past where two of them were full on Christmas.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:29 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Everyone equally deserves to be there. I'm sure no one else is happy with the crowds, which all of you are equally contributing to, right?
Yep, I'm cool with the crowds; to be expected over the holidays...was just surprised that the behavior rose to the level of pushing people down and out of the way...
Old 12-26-2012, 03:18 PM   #14

Try going on a Caribbean cruise on the "party boat" cruise line and watch the rude behavior. There are some nice, considerate folks but they are outnumbered by the pigs. It's almost as bad as people shopping in the mall on Christmas eve.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #15

Wow. I just told DW that her plans for a Disney vacation with the grandkids don't sound too appealing. I'd prefer to take them fishing and put the difference in the 529. We've got a couple years so we'll see.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

People who tired themselves out with Black Friday shopping deserve to take a vacation at theme parks too. No?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
Confused about dryer sheets

Went for 10 days for 10th wedding anniversary, will never ever ever ever go back.
rufflanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I was there a week ago but didn't encounter any rude people. Glad I went when I did. It was somewhat crowed but very tolerable. I attended A Very Merry Christmas Party and the large performance in the open air theater at Hollywood Studio, both nights it was wall to wall people. I was amazed how patient people were.
The week BEFORE Christmas, Santa is still checking who is naughty or nice. The day AFTER Christmas, not so much...
jim747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim747 View Post

The week BEFORE Christmas, Santa is still checking who is naughty or nice. The day AFTER Christmas, not so much...
You might be onto something there. :-)
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
Only one of the four theme parks closed due to capacity yesterday. I remember years in the past where two of them were full on Christmas.
I think their definition of "capacity" is probably outdated. Between today's supersized people and the growing infestation of electric scooters, "capacity" ain't what it used to be.