Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-23-2010, 08:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

If you sell it to some one who can fix it up rather than having it torn down, it will provide a low cost home for some family. That's a good thing.
I have another idea, Khan. If you're dead set on this, why not call Habitat for Humanity. They might be delighted to deconstruct the house for you, recycle what they can, and build a new house for someone who needs it. They might give you a tax receipt (they gave me one when I gave them my old kitchen cabinets). That way, you could achieve what you want in one step and feel good about it. And we all know what a generous person you are!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another thing to check out, you might be able to donate it to Habitat For Humanity or other charities that fix up houses for the homeless. You would presumably get a tax deduction for the value of the donation and someone could end up with a home.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I see others have beat me to the punch. Consider donating it to a social service organization... There are many families who are homeless as a result of this financial mess who could put it to good use, and maybe take care of the cat. Do it through a charity you trust and get a tax write off. Make sure the deed is transferred so you will not be responsible for it later.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Where we live, you have to get a demolition permit to tear down a house and use appropriately licensed people to do it.

Once it's torn down you will still have to sell the land, won't you? So I agree with the above posters that you might as well sell it with the house on it rather than pay for it to be torn down--let the buyer tear it down if they want to.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sell the house and go to Puerto Vallarta for a year. You need a break.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:54 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you want to simply disown it, I believe you could file a quitclaim deed.

Pack your bags, load up the car, put kitty in her crate, head to the county office, file your quitclaim deed, and ride off into the sunset.

I do think the other ideas presented here are better ideas than the quitclaim deed....but if that's whatcha wanna do....

R
Old 09-24-2010, 07:07 AM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I could move to various parts of the country to be near people who would take care of me but leave me alone.
Now that's a deal I would be looking for...
Old 09-24-2010, 08:12 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Kitchen match?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I'm a little shocked, saddened, and ashamed that none of my fellow generous forumites have offered to do the right thing. I'll take it off of your hands for free, and make sure to dispose of it properly.

[ devilish laughter ] haahahahahaha $40,000 = 4 months closer to FIRE hahahahahaha [ / devilish laughter ]
Old 09-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm a little shocked, saddened, and ashamed that none of my fellow generous forumites have offered to do the right thing. I'll take it off of your hands for free, and make sure to dispose of it properly.

[ devilish laughter ] haahahahahaha $40,000 = 4 months closer to FIRE hahahahahaha [ / devilish laughter ]
I heard Khan spotted thefed doing a driveby last night to check it out for his real estate empire!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Options:

1. Stay and stew over it for a few more years.

2. Sell it as is and do what you want with the money. I suggest moving out while it is for sale. Plenty apartments take cats. I've been looking for an apartment and have been surprised at how many are pet friendly.

3. Give it away to a worthy charity. Maybe they will help you move!

4. Tear it down, spending all sorts of money to do so, for no particularly good reason as the place will have value to someone.

5. Have it burnt down, if the fire department will take it. But then you missed out on the charitable giving opportunity. Unless you are so pissed off at the place that it is worth $40,000 to see it in flames.

You have been ticked off at this house for a while. Time to pick an option and do it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
If you want to simply disown it, I believe you could file a quitclaim deed.

Pack your bags, load up the car, put kitty in her crate, head to the county office, file your quitclaim deed, and ride off into the sunset.

I do think the other ideas presented here are better ideas than the quitclaim deed....but if that's whatcha wanna do....

R
The deed has to transfer to someone and that someone has to accept the deed. The closest to what you say is to let it forfeit for taxes. I didn't put it on my list because it usually takes a long time.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Sell the house and go to Puerto Vallarta for a year. You need a break.
Yeah baby. Night was the Iguana was set there. Khan needs some of those maraca shaking assistants like Ava Gardner had

Old 09-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #34

A house isn't worth getting depressed over. Sell it and get an apt.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:30 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Here's a suggestion a friend of mine gave me to pass on.

Turn it over to a property management company - they will screen the tenants, rent it out, collect payments, take care of maintenance, etc for ~10% of the rent payments. You'll collect ~90% of the rent and be able to set it up as investment property on a depreciation schedule, etc. Probably pay the rent on wherever you're going to go next...