Join Early Retirement Today

DISTURBING event at the prison
Old 11-13-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

DISTURBING event at the prison

I had hoped I might just escape with my dignity intact. But alas, it was not to be. Last night, while talking something over with a few of my officers I mentioned that it would be a very sorry rookie indeed who made the mistake of saying "Gee, LT, I wasn't EVEN born when you started in the Buraeu."

Everybody laughed, except one kid who was very busy looking everywhere but at me.

You guessed it, he was born in 1986. Just celebrated his 21st birthday the week before he started here.

MAN I feel old!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can't imagine any events at the prison that aren't disturbing,

Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherneckPA View Post
You guessed it, he was born in 1986. Just celebrated his 21st birthday the week before he started here.
When I retired I had uniform articles that were older than some of the sailors...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my contemporaries at work recently bought a new plasma TV to replace a 20+ year old CRT set. The two young guys who came to install it were heard to remark that it was, like, an antique, man, older than they were, like ANCIENT! And then they blushed bright red when they realized the homeowner was listening!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:52 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I had hoped I might just escape with my dignity intact. But alas, it was not to be. Last night, while talking something over with a few of my officers I mentioned that it would be a very sorry rookie indeed who made the mistake of saying "Gee, LT, I wasn't EVEN born when you started in the Buraeu."

Everybody laughed, except one kid who was very busy looking everywhere but at me.

MAN I feel old!
When I first started working after college I briefly worked with a guy who was mid 70s and the type who was rumored to have significant financial resources but continued working for the fun of it.

I was having a discussion with a (40 something) co-worker one day about other youngins making comments to her like LPA described... and I realized that MY PARENTS weren't born with this guy started working!
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

MAN I feel old!
Yes that happens. But, you will RE (and it is his turn to fund SS).

Tell him thanks. It is good to meet a new inmate that is starting his sentence of serving 35 to life before he is is eligible for parole (Retirement).
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Tell him thanks. It is good to meet a new inmate that is starting his sentence of serving 35 to life before he is is eligible for parole (Retirement).
That is so true. When I worked as a public defender and one of my clients complained about their sentence, I would remark "Hey you will be getting out before I do!"
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 PM   #8

One word. B-52s.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
One word. B-52s.

airplanes or music?
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:52 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
One word. B-52s.
And from what I've heard in some conferences I've been to in the last couple of years, the B-52s are gonna be around another 20-30 years! They're almost as old as I am now. I'm almost 50. I work on them and see them flying every day and am amazed.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
airplanes or music?
Or the hairstyle.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
And from what I've heard in some conferences I've been to in the last couple of years, the B-52s are gonna be around another 20-30 years! They're almost as old as I am now. I'm almost 50. I work on them and see them flying every day and am amazed.
I remember them when I was younger and was amazed that they had been around for 25 years.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The B-52 airframe is a late 1940's design (that's not a typo) that initially flew in 1952. The USAF took delivery of the first B-52 in 1955. Some in operation today are almost twice the age of the aircrews flying them.

We're all painfully aware of government waste, but it looks like the taxpayers might have gotten their money's worth on this airplane:

"There is a proposal under consideration to re-engine the remaining B-52H aircraft to extend the service life. B-52 re-engine plans, if implemented, call for the B-52 to be utilized through 2025. Current engineering analysis show the B-52's life span to extend beyond the year 2040.... Based on the projected economic service life and forecast mishap rates, the Air Force will be unable to maintain the requirement of 62 aircraft by 2044, after 84 years in service"

B-52 Stratofortress

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #14

For some reason when I read about old aircraft like these I get all misty eyed. The DC-3 is another one.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I retired I had uniform articles that were older than some of the sailors...
I had so many hash marks on my dress-blue jacket it made my left sleeve hang lower than than the right sleeve (over 38 years). The youngsters were amazed at seeing a sleeve all covered in gold.