DISTURBING event at the prison

LeatherneckPA

Recycles dryer sheets
I had hoped I might just escape with my dignity intact. But alas, it was not to be. Last night, while talking something over with a few of my officers I mentioned that it would be a very sorry rookie indeed who made the mistake of saying "Gee, LT, I wasn't EVEN born when you started in the Buraeu."

Everybody laughed, except one kid who was very busy looking everywhere but at me.

You guessed it, he was born in 1986. Just celebrated his 21st birthday the week before he started here.

MAN I feel old!

One of my contemporaries at work recently bought a new plasma TV to replace a 20+ year old CRT set. The two young guys who came to install it were heard to remark that it was, like, an antique, man, older than they were, like ANCIENT! And then they blushed bright red when they realized the homeowner was listening!

I had hoped I might just escape with my dignity intact. But alas, it was not to be. Last night, while talking something over with a few of my officers I mentioned that it would be a very sorry rookie indeed who made the mistake of saying "Gee, LT, I wasn't EVEN born when you started in the Buraeu."

Everybody laughed, except one kid who was very busy looking everywhere but at me.

You guessed it, he was born in 1986. Just celebrated his 21st birthday the week before he started here.

MAN I feel old!

When I first started working after college I briefly worked with a guy who was mid 70s and the type who was rumored to have significant financial resources but continued working for the fun of it.

I was having a discussion with a (40 something) co-worker one day about other youngins making comments to her like LPA described... and I realized that MY PARENTS weren't born with this guy started working!

MAN I feel old!

Yes that happens. But, you will RE (and it is his turn to fund SS).

Tell him thanks. It is good to meet a new inmate that is starting his sentence of serving 35 to life before he is is eligible for parole (Retirement). :D

Tell him thanks. It is good to meet a new inmate that is starting his sentence of serving 35 to life before he is is eligible for parole (Retirement). :D

That is so true. When I worked as a public defender and one of my clients complained about their sentence, I would remark "Hey you will be getting out before I do!"

One word. B-52s.

And from what I've heard in some conferences I've been to in the last couple of years, the B-52s are gonna be around another 20-30 years! They're almost as old as I am now. I'm almost 50. I work on them and see them flying every day and am amazed.:eek:

And from what I've heard in some conferences I've been to in the last couple of years, the B-52s are gonna be around another 20-30 years! They're almost as old as I am now. I'm almost 50. I work on them and see them flying every day and am amazed.:eek:
I remember them when I was younger and was amazed that they had been around for 25 years.

The B-52 airframe is a late 1940's design (that's not a typo) that initially flew in 1952. The USAF took delivery of the first B-52 in 1955. Some in operation today are almost twice the age of the aircrews flying them.

We're all painfully aware of government waste, but it looks like the taxpayers might have gotten their money's worth on this airplane:

"There is a proposal under consideration to re-engine the remaining B-52H aircraft to extend the service life. B-52 re-engine plans, if implemented, call for the B-52 to be utilized through 2025. Current engineering analysis show the B-52's life span to extend beyond the year 2040.... Based on the projected economic service life and forecast mishap rates, the Air Force will be unable to maintain the requirement of 62 aircraft by 2044, after 84 years in service"

B-52 Stratofortress

For some reason when I read about old aircraft like these I get all misty eyed. The DC-3 is another one.

Back
Top Bottom