Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-18-2009, 02:48 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

North Carolina is quite geographically diverse as you can explore the coastal areas of the Outer Banks and then drive up into the Smokey Mountains.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Today I drove route 5 in New York which hugs Lake Erie and I could not believe how little development there was .
You're in God's country!
The wide open spaces are one of the things I like about living here.
If you have time and have never been, try to get up to Niagara Falls on the American side. You will get a splendid view of the horseshoe falls on the Canadian side. Bring binoculars.
Old 08-18-2009, 05:06 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

A few years ago, on a trip to see Niagara Falls, we drove around Lake Ontario. At the end of the lake, we crossed the river on a high bridge and saw Thousand Islands, where there were houses on each of these tiny islands. Looked so interesting, but unfortunately, we did not have time to stop and explore.

So many places to go, so many things to see...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A few years ago, on a trip to see Niagara Falls, we drove around Lake Ontario. At the end of the lake, we crossed the river on a high bridge and saw Thousand Islands...
I suppose this occurred during your salad days...
Old 08-18-2009, 05:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I wonder if the dressing came from there.

Anyway, just thought of looking it up in Google Earth. The little bridges for access to these tiny islands may be private, as well as many roads. So, one could only view from a distance.

Still, there's got to be an RV park nearby, ya think? This could be part of my future trip down the Hudson River.

PS. It's only 4AM my time. I need to go back to sleep.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-18-2009, 05:22 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I have been traveling lately and it always amazes me how diverse it is in the same state .
I just traveled from Scottsdale Az, to Chicago suburbs by car. Az is extremely diverse. Desert to the south, mountains, Pine forests around Flagstaff. Small part of eastern Utah I went through was not very diverse, but I was only in Utah for 4 hours. Colorado is diverse -can be mountains or near desert. There is no geographical diversity in either Nebraska or Iowa. 100% corn and soybean fields. Illinois has little diversity east-west. but more north-south.

People around Chicago are quite different than those in southern Illinois. Same thing in Az. Those in Phoenix area are different than those in outlying areas. Seems to be more affluence in the more populated areas and college towns
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:49 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't go back to sleep, so surfed some more. How would you like a house in the middle of the river like this?

Panoramio - Photo of 50928-17 1000 ISLANDS CANADA

As it turned out, access to most of these islands is by boats. In fact, mansion owners have yachts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Az is extremely diverse. Desert to the south, mountains, Pine forests around Flagstaff...
People around Chicago are quite different than those in southern Illinois. Same thing in Az. Those in Phoenix area are different than those in outlying areas. Seems to be more affluence in the more populated areas and college towns
Yes, that's my state. Well-paid jobs are all in Phoenix, hence the affluence that you see in Scottsdale. The filthy rich live in the adjacent Paradise Valley.

However, as the population grows, more retirees are moving up to the higher mountaineous areas of the state to escape the heat. It can be pretty darn cold in some places. Housing prices are going up in some towns because of that. I have not been to Prescott in years, and was shocked to find out recently that there were condos listing for $800K or more. "Cabins" in the AZ high country run from $400K up to more than $1M. Much of the forested land is National Forest or BLM land; there is not much private land. People like to be secluded, hence one does not see much from the highway.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still, there's got to be an RV park nearby, ya think?
Looks like there are dozens of them: 1000 Islands : Campgrounds
Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 AM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
You're in God's country!
The wide open spaces are one of the things I like about living here.
If you have time and have never been, try to get up to Niagara Falls on the American side. You will get a splendid view of the horseshoe falls on the Canadian side. Bring binoculars.
.I also love the rolling hills and wide open spaces of upstate NY but I miss some of the amenities of city living .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb View Post
In fact there is a running race between the two points although I don't think that they let the runners continue to the top of Whitney any more.
That race is called Badwater, run in the heat of July. There is an interesting documentary film, "Running on the Sun", which confirmed that this race is not for me. Runners are advised to run on the white painted line so their shoe soles don't melt. One guy asked for a sandwich from his crew that had pulled up in a car beside him, and wondered why they gave him toast--the bread toasted as they were holding out the sandwich for him to grab.

You're right that the race now ends at the Whitney portal, but many get the permit to continue to the traditional finish at the Mount Whitney summit.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:05 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I wonder if the dressing came from there.
Anyway, just thought of looking it up in Google Earth. The little bridges for access to these tiny islands may be private, as well as many roads. So, one could only view from a distance.
Still, there's got to be an RV park nearby, ya think? This could be part of my future trip down the Hudson River.
PS. It's only 4AM my time. I need to go back to sleep.
Ask and ye shall receive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_Island_dressing

Landlubber or sea dog?
It is possible to rent a boat and go exploring. I would caution you that there are lots of river alligators (logs) and dragons (underwater rocks), so if you are a novice, take a chartered boat to enjoy the river.
thousand island boat rentals - Yahoo! Search Results
Many moons ago, I went camping to the TI on a 15' Glastron outboard with LH. We launched at Clayton and tent camped on some Canadian national park islands near Gananoque.
I saw my first oil tanker up close and personal. We quickly conceded the right of way in the channel.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:15 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
There is no geographical diversity in either Nebraska or Iowa. 100% corn and soybean fields.
Oh yes there is! Eastern Nebraska has the farms and blufffs (hills, trees, rivers). Western Nebraska has cowboys, ranches and sandhills. A big difference in the land and the people.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM   #33

WV has the Panhandle, which is entirely different from the rest of the state. Seen by southerners as affluent, educated and snobbish. As for the southern part, think "Deliverance" and you're not far off.

MD has the suburbs of Washington, DC, bustling, wealthy, and traffic gridlock. Vacation spots are around Ocean City and the Chesapeake Bay. Go to Garrett County at the western end of the state and you're practically in WV or PA.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Illinois - The 5 county Chicagoland area contains 99.99% of the population and votes 100% Democratic.
The last couple elections have seen record turnouts and a reported 107% of votes cast were Democrat.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have been traveling lately and it always amazes me how diverse it is in the same state . For example I was in New York City and then travelled to upstate New York . The difference is huge . Then there is Sarasota ,Fl and Arcadia ,Fl . polar opposites . Have you noticed this in your state ?
There's Austin, then there's the rest of Texas...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:28 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I couldn't go back to sleep, so surfed some more. How would you like a house in the middle of the river like this?

Panoramio - Photo of 50928-17 1000 ISLANDS CANADA

As it turned out, access to most of these islands is by boats. In fact, mansion owners have yachts.

Yes, that's my state. Well-paid jobs are all in Phoenix, hence the affluence that you see in Scottsdale. The filthy rich live in the adjacent Paradise Valley.

However, as the population grows, more retirees are moving up to the higher mountaineous areas of the state to escape the heat. It can be pretty darn cold in some places. Housing prices are going up in some towns because of that. I have not been to Prescott in years, and was shocked to find out recently that there were condos listing for $800K or more. "Cabins" in the AZ high country run from $400K up to more than $1M. Much of the forested land is National Forest or BLM land; there is not much private land. People like to be secluded, hence one does not see much from the highway.

I've been spending about 50 days a year in Scottsdale since 2002. DW likes big city amenities - I like the high country. I'm amazed how desolate it gets just a few miles outside of Phoenix. I know what you mean about people wanting to be secluded and not seeing much from the highway
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Wanted to claim that Oregon was all the same but couldn't type it with a straight face.

Seascapes and desert, mountains, lush valleys and plains. TREES! GREEN! MORE TREES! Fishermen and loggers and cowboys and liberals, geeky enclaves, Pacific/Asian import/exporters, entrepreneurs, pot farmers, lotsa environmentalists and throwback hippies and ol' hippies that keep on keeping on. Right wingers and Nader fans. Plenty of Libertarians. Plenty who are willing to leave you alone and ask that you do the same. Good neighbors. Yup, Oregon's just one big ol' even blend of green with everyone pretty much in complete harmony about one thing - their good fortune to live here.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

New Jersey used to be diverse but the last few times I visited it looked like one giant suburb except Newark which looks like a war zone . New Jersey does have the shore . Just the sight of it brings back great memories .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

One of the main reasons I was drawn to Hawaii was the diversity within such a small area. Our island has 600 square miles (can't do square roots in my head but that means it's less than 25 by 25 miles). Yet it has many weather and temperature zones - primarily due to the fact that there are 3000 to 4000 foot mountains sticking out of a tropical sea. You can traverse a sweeping turn (around a mountain) and go from desert to tropical rain forest in a minute or less. The effect is multiplied on Maui and the Big Island. IIRC, there are (can't recall the exact number but something like) 11 of the 13 climate zones within the state. The diversity is one reason us former prairie dwellers can deal with living on a small rock 2500 miles from anywhere. (The other reason is that we know we can hop on a plane and be 2500 miles away in 5 hours!)

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote