Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sorry.

CA = cancer, OP has Basal Cell cancer

Tx= treatment

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2016, 05:43 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm not going to agree about the benefits of marriage for taxes.

When you have a tax loss, you can carry over and use $3,000 to deduct against income the next year, when you are single AND when married.
So a single "couple" gets 2 x $3,000 tax loss usage per year.

Plus a single "couple" can manage their stock accounts to not have any wash rules.
Explanation of how it works:
Person A sells stock X at a loss, and at the same time Person B buys the stock back.
They end up with exactly the same stock as they started.
This generates a loss for them to deduct against income, but a married couple cannot do this as it counts as no loss.

Now, should I ask my DW for a divorce, frankly no as I'm afraid she would take me up on it

Old 06-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #43

So being married is bad if you want stock market losses?!?! Frankly, never planned on that and in worst years was barely over 3k (but then I usually only have around 300 trades a year)
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #44

My dad and step mom were *not* married for financial reasons. Dad had a widowers pension from my mom. Stepmom had a widows SS claim from her previous husband.

But they were very committed, and wanted as many of the legal entitlements as they could have. Fortunately California has/had a registered domestic partnership. At the time it was only available to same sex couples and seniors. (Apparently the state recognized the pension issue.) They were in their 70's.

They chose to also express vows of commitment in front of family and friends. Stepmom is an atheist - so no clergy involved. But they both felt it was important to express their commitment to each other in front of both families and their friends.

Getting married would have cost them $3500/month. Dad was in love and would have married here - even with the financial consequences... but this was a good compromise for them.

As to the OP. If you're only reason to divorce is to get free insurance, I'd think it could be construed as fraud. I would definitely consult a lawyer before pursuing this or it could be an expensive experiment.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #45

If you are running out of money and can't afford good insurance, it would be to your advantage to spend less, take from you IRA to buy insurance or since you left the workforce at 52, return and make some money to buy insurance.

Divorce?that is the nuclear option and I do think it would be fraud. With that kind of income you can pay your own way on the insurance front.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
I really got confused with all the religion thrown in....... I was just looking to reduce the amount we spend on Health Care Insurance and the deductible......

I have an appointment set to see a dr again, hopeful they can give me an estimate of what this will cost
Old 06-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree and I have no problem with a civil rite with no religious context. What I oppose is the state attaching obligations to a religious rite.
A friend's father married his new wife in a church ceremony to keep his kids off their backs about living in sin. They remain unmarried in the eyes of the state because she has a pension of some type that she loses if she were to remarry. This is in Idaho; other states/countries may differ on what is possible.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I agree and I have no problem with a civil rite with no religious context. What I oppose is the state attaching obligations to a religious rite. I'd love to see a system in which you MUST have a civil rite in order for your marriage to be recognized by the state, but a religious rite alone has no legal implications. You want the legal/state implications, you go to a notary afterwards. If you don't, you get the religious ceremony alone.
Then try the various countries that engaged in DE-clericalization in the early 20th century, e.g. France, Mexico and Germany, where any religious ceremony has no legal significance if married in that country. Actually I would go a bit further and say that completing the marriage license application and having the license issued means you are married, later ceremonies being entirely the couples choice.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:00 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman59 View Post
The IRS lost when they couldn't show that the couple were legally married! Apparently, they talked to their priest and came to the realization that if they were "married" in the church in a spiritually valid ceremony, but never applied for or filed a marriage license, the great State of New York wouldn't recognize that they were married!
In many states that is grounds for the minister to be stripped of his right to 'legally' marry anybody, even those who want to be legally married.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #50

It occurred to me that this might all be moot - common law marriages... But then I looked up the states the OP lives in, and neither recognize common law marriages.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:18 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post
I really got confused with all the religion thrown in....... I was just looking to reduce the amount we spend on Health Care Insurance and the deductible......

I have an appointment set to see a dr again, hopeful they can give me an estimate of what this will cost
Yeah. Think thread went off track.

Bottom line: won't help you for up to 5 yrs and the dx (diagnosis) is scary when 1st received but you could have clear margins (1 tx), short term targeted tx, or need full blown tx (it's Basal and not squamous right?)

Breathe, have that pint ...
Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Location: Fort Myers, FL by Winter - Lake of the Ozarks, MO by Summer
Yes it is Basal .... I had a bi-op last year..... I have used "Black Salve" twice now, but think it is time to have it re-checked .....
Old 06-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #53

The 1st time I was told I had CA, I had a meltdown. Last times I just have mine cut out and then I'm only concerned about margins.

Clear = means they got it all & I'm done
Questionable or not = needed chemo / radiation

Basal & melanoma were always clear
Squamous needed targeted radiation
Old 06-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeRat1 View Post

We're always on topic here!

As others have said, there are likely issues with clawback, maybe fraud, etc., though I'm no lawyer. Sounds complicated...

Best of luck with your diagnosis/prognosis!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #55

I just think the game plan should be to cut it out ASAP b4 it has a chance to metastasize irrespective of the cost . I push for less than 2 wks delay and win. They waited 3 months on my sister and it jumped from inexpensive stage 1 to expensive (cost / inconvenience / uncomfortable) stage 4

JMHO
Old 06-28-2016, 07:25 AM   #56

How about moving assets to whoever's name and file Married fileting separately? Would that help? I do not know as I have not researched it, how would that work for ACA (MAGI) purposes?

Never mind I Googled it, you cannot, it is based on Household Income Regardless.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #57

If there was a situation that could significantly threaten our financial position/well beign, remedy it, or significantly enhance it, simply by either divorcing or not marrying we would certainly go that route.

We been happily married of 42years...so long that I have to do the math sometimes. That commitment we made to each other far transcends, for us, any civil or religious ceremony.

Fortunately where we live health costs are not a threat to our financial well being or asset base. There are people though who, in their senior years, have made the choice not to marry simply because as two singles they receive increased social benefits. When you are elderly, have few resources, and are living carefully this is a big consideration.