Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It depends on what you're willing to let the Social Security Administration do to with you...
I agree Nords. I put in an amount that was probably somewhere in the low middle, more for a point than anything else.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Count me among the unsympathetic. She made stupid choices and choices have consequences. Women should know better these days: there is no excuse for not taking care of yourself financially no matter what kind of love interest/relationships is also chosen. The truth is, however, that some men make stupid choices too and it seems a lot of people have to start over at some time in their life due to divorce, bankruptcy, job loss, etc. So I hope she finds the gumption to reassess her life and start making good choices. It might be the best thing that happened to her.
I agree here too Marita40. Not to get off topic or anything but woman should know better. This topic hits a little close to home. My daughter just got married 2 weeks ago to a fine young man who makes a good salary and is solid. He wants a family and she has said she will probably be pregnant within a year or two and doesn't want to work (teaches). While I understand that, I feel at her age (24) she may underestimate the risk of getting out of the work force. She has this view that "he has her back" and "will take care of her and their family". A wonderful view to have but....we all know "things" happen. When someone gets out of the labor market they are putting their financial stability and survival in someone else's hands and there are risks associated with that.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

My 80 year old father told me that his Canada Pension and Old Age Security added to 1,200 a month. So people live on that amount here in Canada, albeit frugally. I'm somewhat cynical about this story. If she went public to embarrass her "husband" before her court date next month to ask for the temporary support to be made permanent, it may have backfired.
I'm unsympathetic. I've done three decades of the work-a-day slog and have at least five more to go. A permanent support order of 1,200 a month for six years as a housewife? Don't we all wish we had such a generous pension plan!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Who is a math whiz here? How much would a 1,200 a month annuity cost for a 52 year old woman? Divide that cost by the years she was a houswewife......I'd think it would be the equivalent of quite a lucrative wage!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My first reaction to the article was "What the hell was she thinking?"

I think I have whiplash from shaking my head (in amazement) too much.

I sent the pity party invitation back, marked "Return to Sender". Gimme a break, lady.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

It is interesting reading this thread that the frankest comments about this person's sense of entitlement.come from other women! Right now I am doing the "housewife thing". I've always done all the cooking and most of the domestic chores, nothing has changed since I started my one year "trial retirement". I enjoy cooking very much and have supper and dinner ready after my husband returns from puttering on his hobby farm. I wouldn't have it any other way. I differentiate my role as housewife from the stay-at-home mom job. My few experiences babysitting a toddler I found exhausting as they are very demanding of all your energy and time. I have a great respect for the effort it must take to be a good parent.With modern conveniences I find myself with lots of spare time after the housework is done. Washer/dryers, microwaves and dishwashers leave present day housewives (and househusbands) much more free time than homemakers of previous generations. An educated women with career experience demanding permanent support from a man based on only six years as the homemaker betrays the hard fought gains for gender equality that society values.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #27

Unless the laws are different in Colorado, the title of the article is deceptive and shows the clear bias on the writer's part. This isn't a bad...divorce...since they weren't married. My impression of this woman is she is a taker, and sees herself as a permanent victim looking for her next set of entitlements.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #28

As Ms G always says "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle".
Old 06-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Count me among the unsympathetic. She made stupid choices and choices have consequences.
He made a very stupid choice too. Her choice was not as dumb as his. Maybe this was her ER Extreme plan all along. People on this board have posted that they get along well enough on this kind of income.

Every male needs to know the Ha Rule. She gets bundled into her coach to go home to her house well before midnight, when the coach may turn into a pumpkin and her host be required to buy her a BMW to replace the disappeared coach.

Ha
Old 06-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha
He made a very stupid choice too. Her choice was not as dumb as his. Maybe this was her ER Extreme plan all along. People on this board have posted that they get along well enough on this kind of income.

Every male needs to know the Ha Rule. She gets bundled into her coach to go home to her house well before midnight, when the coach may turn into a pumpkin and her host be required to buy her a BMW to replace the disappeared coach.

Ha
Ha, your rule would be sound fiscally prudent advise. There are now judges granting alimony after 25 years of divorce. All property was distributed equally back in 1982. Fast forward 25 years, ex wive is suddenly decides she needs money and judge grants here $400 a week from the ex.

"This is insane," Mr. Taylor says, adding that the payments cut his after-tax pension by more than one-third. "Someone can just come back 25 years later and say, 'My life went down the toilet, and you're doing good—so now I want some of your money'?"

Here is the whole story and a few other examples in this WSJ article.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...448957522.html
Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
I agree here too Marita40. Not to get off topic or anything but woman should know better. This topic hits a little close to home. My daughter just got married 2 weeks ago to a fine young man who makes a good salary and is solid. He wants a family and she has said she will probably be pregnant within a year or two and doesn't want to work (teaches). While I understand that, I feel at her age (24) she may underestimate the risk of getting out of the work force. She has this view that "he has her back" and "will take care of her and their family". A wonderful view to have but....we all know "things" happen. When someone gets out of the labor market they are putting their financial stability and survival in someone else's hands and there are risks associated with that.
Who says she has to leave the labor market? If she's a teacher and has the self-discipline to regularly write then she can still earn a subsistence wage on her own. Take a look at:
House of Rose
(Warning: Disgustingly feminine blog design and topics.)
About Us
(More about the mechanics of their blogging.)

Her spouse is a CFP who got her started on blogging, but I suspect that her "mommy blog" is attracting more advertising dollars than his personal-finance blog. Your daughter is the perfect demographic/age to ride a hot trend.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:53 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Before anyone thinks my DH is a slouch at domestic chores (as I do all the cooking etc)...I must say when we were first married he offered to wash the dishes after every meal , he thought that would be fair as we both worked full time. Our kitchen was too small for a dishwasher so dishes were washed in the sink. That lasted one week. The man is handy at everything and figured out how to install an automatic dishwasher borrowing space from the adjacent laundry room. He can build/fix anything...but making even the simplest meals is not in his repertoire of skills!
Old 06-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #33

I also do not know how some people think. I would never allow myself to get into such a situation, being totally dependent on someone. I also do not know how you could work and earn good money and not have anything in savings to fall back on. I do feel sympathy for her, but I also feel sympathy for the "husband" who has to pay the alimony.

I think that the second story that was posted regarding Mr. Taylor is outrageous. I can't believe that an ex can get alimony 25 years after the divorce and after the person is retired. That is ridiculous!!! I can now understand some of HA's comments that he has made regarding ever getting married again. I for one would be too nervous to ever get married again. I always say never again, if I were ever widowed. I think that I would have to go W2R's way.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

What would I do without my daily free does of schadenfreude?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:57 PM   #35

I guess it may be a little off topic, but this reminds me of the early nineties, as my daughter was finishing high school. I worked in a government office full of divorced or never married single moms, all doing basically admin work or trying to educate up from that. My takeaway was was that as a parent of a daughter, the most important thing we could do was to instill a need to become self supporting; get an education. Yes, you can drop out if your fortunate enough to be able to be a stay at home mom (and want to) but you better keep your parachute (and stash) in good shape. Daughter is currently raising three kids, doesn't work, but has a PhD in Chem e to fall back on. So I'm not worried about her showing up on doorstep looking to move in. OTOH given her marriage, I think that's highly unlikely, but still, having career capability is like an insurance policy; you hope you never HAVE to use it, but if you do, it better be a good one.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Unless the laws are different in Colorado, the title of the article is deceptive and shows the clear bias on the writer's part. This isn't a bad...divorce...since they weren't married. My impression of this woman is she is a taker, and sees herself as a permanent victim looking for her next set of entitlements.
Agree. She sounds like my x. Who incidently earns multiples of what this woman makes as alimony. We have to keep in mind though, as Nords points out, these articles are usually biased, and only tell part of the story. There are always two sides to these issues. Complexity is not done well in the popular media. Thus I try to not get too excited about this kind of story.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ha, your rule would be sound fiscally prudent advise. There are now judges granting alimony after 25 years of divorce. All property was distributed equally back in 1982. Fast forward 25 years, ex wive is suddenly decides she needs money and judge grants here $400 a week from the ex.

"This is insane," Mr. Taylor says, adding that the payments cut his after-tax pension by more than one-third. "Someone can just come back 25 years later and say, 'My life went down the toilet, and you're doing good—so now I want some of your money'?"

The New Art of Alimony - WSJ.com
Mr. Taylor is right - that is f-ing insane!! Particularly the part where a judge would look to joint income where the ex remarries. Mr. Taylor should move to NH and tell the the ex and the MA judge to go pound sand.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post

The New Art of Alimony - WSJ.com
Message from the courts: don't get married. Don't co-habit. Don't have a long term relationship. Don't take responsibility for your own life.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
What would I do without my daily free does of schadenfreude?
And, of course, e-mailing the URL of this thread to your spouse...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

New alimony law is bad for women - CNN.com I googled Massachusetts new alimony law which ends lifetime alimony and specifies the number of months instead.