DJ3K

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Yankee lover or Yankee hater, you gotta give him his due. David Price is a top pitcher in the AL, which increases the wow factor. Besides that he was 5 for 5.

Against this huge cultural shift, Derek Jeter has collected more hits than any of the great icons that ever played for the most famous and most studied franchises in sports, the New York Yankees, and done it with charm and grace that hardly seems possible any more.
Reaching 3,000 hits, as Jeter did Saturday with a third-inning home run against the Rays' David Price, is in itself an enormous athletic achievement, one that despite great leaps in training, equipment, nutrition and, yes, pharmacological assistance, remains as impressive as when baseball was played with dead balls by out-of-shape men who worked odds jobs in offseasons. From 1989 through 1994, just as ballparks were getting smaller, leagues were expanding and steroids were growing, 990 players debuted in the major leagues -- none of whom could parlay this enhanced hitter's age into 3,000 hits. That six-year gap without the start of a 3,000-hit career is the longest such gap since 1947, when Jackie Robinson integrated the game. And then Jeter came along.

Read more: Appreciating Yankees' Derek Jeter as he reaches the 3,000 hits - Tom Verducci - SI.com

I love hating the Yankees, but can't help but respect Jeter. Phenominal player, and Yankees fans have been blessed to have him there for his whole career.

I have been a huge Derek Jeter fan since he came into the majors in 1995. He had some press coming in and being from Kalamazoo, MI it was just meant to be that I follow his career. He's has produced great statistics over the years but the thing I would be most proud of is the fact he has never been in any trouble with the law, as far as I know never had any bad publicity and should be a role model for most sport teenagers.

I think the Yankees would be missing the boat to not offer him some position in the organization after his retirement. They need some good press to keep that organization going strong.

Yeah, but he could have done it against another team besides Tampa Bay ;).

He is a great player, and I'm also a big Jeter enthusiast.

I can't stand the Yankees, and I'm not a huge fan of Jeter either, but you gotta respect the man. Well done, Mr. Jeter. Congrats.

I can't stand the Yankees, and I'm not a huge fan of Jeter either, but you gotta respect the man. Well done, Mr. Jeter. Congrats.

I can understand you not loving the Yankees, but what could you have against a great player like Jeter. I don't like the RedSox, but I love Carl Crawford, Elsbury, Youklis, and some other guys just because they are great ball players. And they don't bring bad press.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom