Join Early Retirement Today

DNA testing for ancestry
Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

DNA testing for ancestry

I'm intrigued by the idea of knowing where my genes come from.
Has anyone here done this?
There are apparently lots of purveyors; any recommendations?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Read this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-64479.html

That one does both ancestry and health information.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They still seemed a little vague on the details.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I got some sort of genetic profile of ancestry from National Geographic a few years back. It just confirmed that I was among a huge migration across Asia, into northern Europe and down eons ago. It doesn't get down to the specific country let alone narrower than that so it wasn't very interesting. I can't remember for the 23&me thread whether ancestry data is detailed. Check over there.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #5

Here's a comparison of three companies from the National Geographic Genographic Project website:

Quote:
I’ve had my DNA tested through other genetic testing sites like Ancestry.com and 23andMe. How do my Genographic Project results differ from theirs, and why?

The Genographic Project is a research project of the National Geographic Society, which encompasses work carried out by our scientific team to elucidate new patterns of human migration, as well as public testing through the participation kits. Our testing focuses on deep ancestry from an anthropological perspective. It is not primarily a genealogy testing service, such as that offered by Ancestry.com, although you do have the option of seeing how you are related to other participants in the Our Story section. 23andMe is primarily a medically focused testing company, examining markers that are associated with disease risk. While they do offer some insights into ancestry, that is not their primary focus. The genetic technology we use for our testing is a custom-designed genotyping chip optimized for the study of ancestry, with far more Y-chromosome and mtDNA markers than are available with any other test. Our autosomal markers are similarly optimized for inferring ancestry, rather than medical testing, and we feel that it is the best technology available for this purpose.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

I worked at a Dept. of Energy DNA sequencing laboratory for 15 yrs. I learned a lot about DNA sequencing. There is no harm in investigating genetic ancestry. I would guess that there is quite a bit of data out there to give you some interesting results. However, I would definitely avoid doing this for medical/health reasons. It is still way too early to do this as an individual. It only make sense to do this with the advice a trained genetic counselor who can help make practical sense of the results.
martyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBOT View Post
I'm intrigued by the idea of knowing where my genes come from.
Has anyone here done this?
There are apparently lots of purveyors; any recommendations?
I find the idea intriguing. There was another thread on roughly the same topic a few years ago. I haven't re-read the whole thing so there may or may not be anything about specific providers in it.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

When I was a kid, I though that it was odd when we moved from New York to California and still had the same plumber.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
When I was a kid, I though that it was odd when we moved from New york to California and still had the same plumber.
Hilarious!