Join Early Retirement Today

Do FAFSA Soon After Jan 1?
Old 01-02-2008, 08:06 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Do FAFSA Soon After Jan 1?

In prior years I've filled out FAFSA soon after Jan 1, but now I can't remember why it's important to do it as soon as possible. Anyone?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Based on your post, I'd guess it would be to prevent forgetting it entirely...
Old 01-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

So, is Fafsa the puppet dog that sang N-E-S-T-l-E-S, Nestles makes the very best...chooooocolate?
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

---snap.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
In prior years I've filled out FAFSA soon after Jan 1, but now I can't remember why it's important to do it as soon as possible. Anyone?
Because a lot of the preferred financial aid is available on a first come first served basis. Or at least that's the way it was when I was applying several years ago. Probably not a big difference between filing on Jan 1 an Jan 10, but there may be a difference between filing Jan 1 and Feb 1.
Niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Many schools, both public and private, set February 1 as deadline for applying for financial aid. Some even use a "first in line" criteria.

January 1 is the earliest one can apply in the federal system.

I just filled out the FAFSA yesterday for my son.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

As a former student who needed the fafsa, the first come first serve is true of a lot of the money. I even have a friend who found this out by filing too late. She got nothing even though she qualified...
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the info. DD and I just finished submitting it, and I never have to do it again -- Yay!
Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Thanks for the info. DD and I just finished submitting it, and I never have to do it again -- Yay!
Congratulations. I got tired of it with my oldest daughter. Now I have three more years for my son, and then three years after that for my youngest daughter, filling out those danged forms.

Just for them to tell me our "expected family contribution" disqualifies us from nearly any scholarship, as they all seem to end up as "need based".

We went to the trouble of saving college funds for all three of our kids. The ones now getting the "need-based" scholarships didn't save a dime, blew their money on big SUVs, fancy houses, etc, but now they have a "need" for college scholarships.

I can identify well with your "YAH!" emotion.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
Congratulations. I got tired of it with my oldest daughter. Now I have three more years for my son, and then three years after that for my youngest daughter, filling out those danged forms.

Just for them to tell me our "expected family contribution" disqualifies us from nearly any scholarship, as they all seem to end up as "need based".

We went to the trouble of saving college funds for all three of our kids. The ones now getting the "need-based" scholarships didn't save a dime, blew their money on big SUVs, fancy houses, etc, but now they have a "need" for college scholarships.

I can identify well with your "YAH!" emotion.
Dang, you mean I could have forced my father to do all of that paperwork! Now that is heartless. I did that for all 5 years and the school audit each year as well. Course, he took one look at it and said "hunh?" Lol.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I finished the FAFSA for one DS, with one to go.
Is the website for FAFSA as confusing to everyone else as it is to me? (Fill out today for 2008-2009 is the correct answer to one question) Then, the pin and password fiasco with pins for self, child, passwords for each, get a new one each year(password only, not pin), yadda, yadda, ...
Each year I prepare to fill out the FAFSA I have a sick feeling in my stomach and hate to fill it out - almost more than TT. At least with TT, I often get money back. FAFSA is just an exercise in futility as the EFC is way outta reach, but have to fill it out for renewal of scholarships through the Universities.
Thanks for letting me vent! I feel much better now and looking forward to the weekend.
BigBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the FAFSA process is messy and poorly designed.

My password or pins or something didn't work, so I had to call the help line. Had to go through some kludgey thing to get it working.

And there are some questions that are worded such that they are not possible to answer ("when did you stop beating your wife" types).

Right now I'm going through the agony of trying to get DD to do her tax return and get that sent in to the financial aid office -- deadline is Feb 28, and I've been nagging her all month. I'd love to say "If you don't get it in, then it's your problem." But I can't because it would be my problem.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote