Join Early Retirement Today

Do gals notice a guy's clothes and jewelry?
Old 10-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This is the flip side of the ongoing thread about women's clothes and makeup. What about men - do you ladies notice whether we are well dressed? If so, do you care if it's a suit versus chinos or are you just happy to see that our pants reach all the way to our shoe tops? How about rings, bracelets and other bling? And, to settle an argument with my DiL, what do you think of plaid lumber jack shirts

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Please tell me that you were on the against side of plaid lumber jack shirts.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #3

When I'm dressing myself or when my wife dresses me?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #4

I like the rugged look, a bit longer hair, slightly disheveled. No 5 o'clock shadow, though. The plaid lumberjack shirt is okay, but only if you are actually outside doing something.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do notice. I think a guy looks great in a nice suit, but I also like blue jeans and a jacket. However, I don't care for a guy who looks like he works too hard at it - "pretty boy" types. We knew this one guy who spent more time in the bathroom getting ready than me. Good grief, that's a long time, LOL!

I don't care for jewelry on a guy, except for a classy ring. Please, no necklaces! I still remember from my dating years the guys coming up to ask me to dance, who had their shirts unbuttonned - showing lots of chest hair and 2 or 3 gold chains - "Hey, baby, wanna dance?" Eeeeks!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 AM   #6

Oh, yeah, Simple Girl--jewelry is pretty gross!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely notice. What's interesting is that guys notice other guys jewelry. My husband where's a torc and he always gets lots of compliments and questions but it is an unusual piece.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caoineag View Post
Definitely notice. What's interesting is that guys notice other guys jewelry. My husband where's a torc and he always gets lots of compliments and questions but it is an unusual piece.
Sent me scurrying to Wikipedia--I think Caoineag means that her DH wears a torc, which is as follows for the rest of the unitiated:

A torc, also spelled torq or torque, is a rigid piece of personal adornment made from twisted metal. It can be worn as an arm ring, a circular neck ring, or a necklace that is open-ended at the front. Smaller torcs worn around the wrist are called bracelets instead. Torcs are a type of Scythian, Thracian and Celtic jewellery, produced in the European Iron Age, from around the 8th century BC to the 3rd century AD.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
This is the flip side of the ongoing thread about women's clothes and makeup. What about men - do you ladies notice whether we are well dressed? If so, do you care if it's a suit versus chinos or are you just happy to see that our pants reach all the way to our shoe tops? How about rings, bracelets and other bling? And, to settle an argument with my DiL, what do you think of plaid lumber jack shirts
no floodwater pants, please. and if still around, please lose the pocket protectors! definitely lose the cell phone clip on holder on the belt.
i just LOVE the way a man looks in a suit. tie is not necessary if too tight a fit for shirt for large necked guys. relax!!!!
bling? a ring or watch is usual. pendant type necklaces are cool if for special occasion.
plaid flannel shirts? only if chopping wood or some other manly-man activity is going on. and only with tight jeans, please.
shaving is your choice. i like the rugged look.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #10

Oh, and the other bad one is the really tight polo shirt that is so small you can see the outline of their armpit. But it is okay if the sleeve is just snug across a big ole gun upper arm while chopping that wood.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
plaid flannel shirts? only if chopping wood or some other manly-man activity is going on. and only with tight jeans, please.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Sent me scurrying to Wikipedia--I think Caoineag means that her DH wears a torc...
Ick yes. Obviously I need my morning cup of coffee...
Old 10-07-2008, 10:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
shaving is your choice. i like the rugged look.
Glad to hear it - that's what I wear when running a chain saw. If the weather's warm it's a t-shirt and tight jeans.

Suits? Well, I have some, but have only worn them a half-dozen times since I retired.

And those who earned the CFCE (certified computer forensic examiner) were awarded ceremonial pocket protectors.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:51 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Sure I do. I love to see men in jeans, suits and leather. As long as the clothing fits well, I think they look great!

As far as the jewelry goes; a ring, watch and one earring is fine. I don't like a necklace on a man. Now, the man can look hot, but if has no sense of humor....he might as well move on as far as I'm concerned.

Plaid lumberjack shirt....sure, I can handle that.

Oh, and for the love of bacon, don't wear socks with sandals or roll a pack of cigs in your tee shirt sleeve. Yeah, I still see that.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
This is the flip side of the ongoing thread about women's clothes and makeup. What about men - do you ladies notice whether we are well dressed?
Sort of.

Quote:
If so, do you care if it's a suit versus chinos or are you just happy to see that our pants reach all the way to our shoe tops?
Suit, chinos, whatever; but clean and non ragged (unless you're working). No floods and no underwear showing.

Quote:
How about rings, bracelets and other bling?
Depends on the context, but no on ostentatious.

Quote:
And, to settle an argument with my DiL, what do you think of plaid lumber jack shirts
Again, depends on context.
-----------------------
Beard or mustache or not is fine, but I hate stubble (it chafes).

What I notice is someone whose clothes don't fit quite right because he's been working out.

I think I'll stop here.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:54 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Please don't wear this:

There is nothing sexier than jeans, t-shirt or flannel shirt.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post

What I notice is someone whose clothes don't fit quite right because he's been working out.
The Incredible Bulk Hulk comes to mind!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah baby! Martha, I'm glad you only posted the frontal view...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg borat.jpg (38.2 KB, 214 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

hmm, jeans, suits ... I haven't had on long pants since retirement (June) ... Don't guess I'm being noticed.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeRuh View Post
hmm, jeans, suits ... I haven't had on long pants since retirement (June) ... Don't guess I'm being noticed.
Hey now, skin is in! Legs....ahhhchacha.....