Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Y...it all depends. Every barn is different, some don't need to be painted
This brings something about pigs and lipstick to mind. I think many men can and do notice when a woman dresses well. And we respond to a well done, light touch on makeup. But more is not better, and brands don't matter. 90% of men are not going to care about where a woman bought her clothes or how much they cost. Most of us notice the overall effect - this applies to everything from party dresses to jeans and it applies to women of all shapes and sizes - not just "hotties."
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 06:53 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
At formal business meetings most women scientists and engineers where I work do wear discreet makeup/jewelry just as a guy would wear a tie at similar meetings. Otherwise, not so much at my work except for the secretaries, who really dress up no matter what's going on for some reason.
Where I worked over the years how women lawyers dressed changed dramatically. At first, it was always a suit, but not a pants suit, a suit with a skirt and a floppy bow tie. Very 1980s. Not the most comfortable to spend long hours at work. The floppy bow tie could be ditched at 5:00pm, just like the guys ditched their ties.

I can't remember when, but at some point I bought a suit with pants and wore it to work. When I retired the other women lawyers honored me for being the first to wear pants.

By the 2000s, the women lawyers as a group tended to dress the least formally, with most men still wearing the traditional suit and tie. We often would wear decent pants with sweaters. When I was president of the firm, I upped the quality of my dress, and usually wore a pants suit. Not bright colors ala Hillary, but the basic blues, grays and blacks. When I went part time I rarely met with clients and often came very casual. Now when I visit my office (I still maintain an office there even though retired) I wear jeans.

The women lawyers rarely wore makeup and jewelry or very little of both. Most of the female staff wear makeup and jewelry. Often they are better dressed than the women lawyers. My secretary always wore a skirt, heels, was very well made up and hair done nicely. The women lawyers tended to just have their hair chopped off short for ease of care.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
So my question is for all men or women with some perspective: Do men actually notice a woman's make up (purple vs brown eye shadows, for example) or earrings (stud vs dangly)? Or whether her eyebrows are waxed?

A follow-up question for men: Do you think women in general look better 1) without make up, 2) with light make up, or 3) with lots of make up?
I notice if the makeup is too heavy. More is not better, but some lightly applied doesn't hurt, it shows an effort being made. Lots of baubles are a huge turn-off since that implies high maintenance and a focus on junk.

Women wax their eyebrows? Whatever for?:confused:
Old 10-06-2008, 07:07 AM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

I've seen the sex and the city movie and the series . It puts way too much emphasis on expensive bags & shoes . No wonder we have the financial diaster going on. They should have a new show on single & savings to encourage young women to step away from the designer bag counter and towards their roth IRA .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am usually dressing for one guy in particular and his opinion is the only one that matters to me.
Thanks - you're looking great this morning.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Thanks - you're looking great this morning.
Sorry, Dex!! I was thinking of Frank. But thanks for the compliment. Eva Habermann does look great, and also pretty classy IMO so for both these reasons I like "being her" at the ER forum.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
I do not like any makeup, lipstick, nail polish, jewelry, waxing, piercings, tattoos, hair coloring, and especially eye shadow. I think they make women look clownish, especially when trowelled on thick. I have never seen a woman that I thought looked better with any of the above. Perfumes are even worse. I also cannot imagine noticing the kind of shoes, glasses or handbag that a woman carries. Logical thinking, emotional stability - now those are attractive.
Another vote for less make-up is better. None is best.

A bit of tasteful jewelry can be attractive and draw attention, as can nice clothing. Particular brands of clothing, handbags, shoes, etc are completely irrelevant. I know people who are very aware of brands, but I cannot see why. Personal preference.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why do trannies look so good? Because they are tall and very good with make-up.
Dont do it Ha!

I've noticed that Faith Hill is really pasting on the plaster this year for Sunday Night Football. Its not a good thing.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Dont do it Ha!
Old 10-06-2008, 08:19 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, I think I need to tone down my lipstick.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

As a woman who wears makeup maybe 2 times per year, I can tell you that there are definitely some guys who prefer no makeup. I don't consider myself especially attractive but I do get hit on more often than I would suspect possible for someone as plain as me. I think makeup tends to be code for how high maintenance someone is and some guys are really desparate for an easy going gal.

I am married to a guy who couldn't care either way (he can't tell the difference).

Oh and I will concur that women care far more about all this stuff than most men. Most of the women I know who wear makeup do so for their own self esteem. They think they are hideous without it.
Caoineag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 AM   #32

I notice makeup when it's poorly done.

I prefer no makeup.

I don't notice jewelry.

I prefer glasses.

My wife doesn't wear makeup, does wear glasses, seldom wears jewelry (I bought her some nice stuff, but it's too nice for how she typically dresses). She owned some Manolo's for a day, then regretted spending that much on a pair of shoes and returned them.

If anything, the first thing I notice is confidence. If someone uses makeup or clothing to help feel confident, then more power to them.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
A follow-up question for men: Do you think women in general look better 1) without make up, 2) with light make up, or 3) with lots of make up?
Depends on the woman and how the make up used. I would usually vote for (2), occasionally for (1) and virtually never for (3).

I tend to notice how they are dressed and groomed a lot more than I notice makeup.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:17 AM   #34

The only way I noticed makeup is if its plastered on. Jewelery too specially if its abundant or too gaudy. I like neither. However, a light smell of perfume is nice. Just not overpowering.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Why do trannies look so good? Because they are tall and very good with make-up.
ha
I don't know...I've never cared for men that wear make-up, but that's just me.

All natural in a man for me....clean hair, nice smile, well groomed nails...I guess that would be another thread.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Hmm - seems like mostly i notice really poorly done makeup; what i call clown makeup. Thinking of Mam'sell making up the corncob pipe smoking female critter in Pogo. OTOH at a recent reunion i met a woman who has, I'm told, a very large wine colored birthmark on her face - and i didn't notice anything - very skilled. We live in a town with a high percentage of Hispanics - makeup is de rigeur and often poorly done - lots of paint-roller applied base coat with a definite line at the jaw. Lots of pencil thin eyebrows in unlikely locations. Lots of too tight spandex tops with mega muffin rolls.
There are some women who do makeup well - those who look better without my noticing they are made up, and those few who can create and pull off a dramatic look - seems like they often have the bone structure, body, and maybe phermones to look good in a bag or nothing at all. Eh. Men have Redford and Pitt types too. Most of us aren't them though.
Like silver and turquoise - the different blues and greens are great with brown skin. Most other sparkly stuff is just that to me.
But let's talk high heels - big fan of slender ankles and long legs, and a woman who's wearing pants that she would be walking on if not for her heels, swaying back and forth, her caboose shown to it's best effect.... Voof!
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #37

Sometimes, especially when I size someone up for how well they maintain their appearance.

I tend to notice teeth more now that I've had my orthodontics off for about a year. Then general maintenance (nails, hair, clothing, etc). Jewelry, watch, etc.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm certain that I love make-up, jewelry, and well-chosen clothing. But if I actually notice it apart from the appearance as a whole there's probably a problem.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

A friend of mine who usually doesn't wear make up was a party of a wedding party, so they all got made up by the cosmotologist. When she came out of the room, her husband blurted out, "What happened to your face?" It was pretty funny (not so funny at the time for her, though).
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Having just purchased my first pair of heels, I can say for sure that they improve my posture a lot when I wear them. But I only wear them for dance class and when practicing at the house.

I remember sitting on the edge of the tub as a kid, watching my older sister getting ready for dates--carefully applying makeup, jewelry, and meticulously matched clothes and handbag. I remember thinking that I'd better marry a guy who likes my sense of humor!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote