Join Early Retirement Today
Do I need a 10 ft. UI?
Old 02-09-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do I need a 10 ft. UI?

Have been to WIKI.KODI, CNET and other sites, but have no idea what it's,all about.
I know this,but have no idea what it means.
In computing, a 10-foot user interface (also sometimes referred to as "10 foot UI", "10 foot interface", "10 foot experience", or "10 foot design") is a graphical user interface for large televisions, with ergonomical display elements (menus, buttons, text fonts, etc.) easily read from a distance of 10 feet (3 meters), and controlled using a regular television style remote control.The minimum core buttons are designed for simplicity and clarity.
What does it do? Should I have extra hardware? Do you have it? Is it better having it than not having it? Is it for 32" TV's? 40" TV's or is "large 55" or more? Does it require suround sound speakers? How I explain this to my DW?

I have XMBC in my programs file, but don't know what it does.

Help! In 20th century english.

imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2015, 07:45 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Could use a little more context here but I think it is referring to the typical TV interfaces. With Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc all moving to internet, and the internet itself becoming a prime entertainment source, a way to interact with a larger viewing screen like a typical TV in the home is a common need. Instead of a standard computer interface, designed to be driven on a desktop at a distance under 3 feet, some specialization for making the interface easy to use across a living room is justified.

ArkTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:04 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
The screens you see on your TV or computer are the UI they are referring to. For example, on Roku you have a sizable square for each channel in the channel lists. You can see those squares from many feet away. If the design were to just have one small line of text for each channel you wouldn't be able to navigate Roku while laying in bed a number of feet away. The UI is the design of the screens you see, not anything that an end user would need to provide or add.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets
Don't know about the 10' UI, but I use XBMC, now called KODI, mainly as a picture viewer for our digital collection of family pictures.

They're probably referring to the fact that a traditional desktop computer interface just doesn't work for a TV where you're standing back a ways. It really doesn't; I have to move way close with a wireless keyboard/mouse when I exit KODI and use the desktop to do configuration work. KODI provides an interface with large fonts and buttons, and is controllable with an IR remote. Just goes to show, user interfaces for various format sizes need to be different, because the human doesn't change size...
ggbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
In my last house I had a DIY home theater with the normal component audio/video elements plus a computer and an xbox for gaming. I had a keyboard with a track ball built in for using with the computer. I sat about 12 feet from the 58-inch flat screen monitor. In order to see what was printed on the screen when surfing the web, I had to crank up the font size so big that it often made things overlap. The web browsers just were not made to handle that large of font format. My guess is that the 10-foot UI solves this problem with graphics and font layouts designed for this type of viewing.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Sounds like guidelines for page design for large screen displays. As others said, Netflix, Roku, games etc. I trust OP will figure it out and inform us if we guessed wrong.
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:37 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.
It is the way the graphics is presented so that it can easily be used at 10 feet away. As noted above... just up scaling a browser does not always work.

No this would likely not be used with a 32" TV... which means I don't need one.

How do you explain it to DW? "I have no clue what it is or why I would need it, but I just have this money burning a hole in my pocket... so I am getting it." ... well, kind of in jest.
If you don't have a really large screen TV or other device that you control remotely... and with the ability to run apps (not just a fixed buttons on a remote), then you likely don't need it... or you need to buy a really large smart TV for a pretty large room. But then you need someone to write the UI... or you could write your own.

Personally I don't have a device big enough for control 10' away, but I likely could write the interface if the API is open or documented somewhere accessible.

to the OP... do you know why you would need one?

bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote