Join Early Retirement Today

Do Not Call List
Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Do Not Call List

I have been on the national DNC list since it's beginning and I recently signed up for 5 more years. However I received a robophone solicitation today anyway...I had time to waste, so I wanted to see who was violating the list with this pitch for medigap insurance, but I never found out. After the one minute spiel, they advised "If you want to hear more about this important coverage press one. If you wish to be placed on our DNC list press 9."

Well 9 it was, but I still never got to find out who was is violation of the law.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

And I really love the calls for deadbeats with my last name, "...if you are not TeacupJoe, disregard this message."
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:46 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

How about the recorded message "with important information regarding your Mastercard or Visa card".

What they don't know, is that I am one of the 3 people in the U.S. with no credit card. So, I just hang up.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
How about the recorded message "with important information regarding your Mastercard or Visa card".

What they don't know, is that I am one of the 3 people in the U.S. with no credit card. So, I just hang up.
I mute my speakerphone, press the number to speak to a person and let them say "Hello?" a few times. I never hang up first.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Wow, are you sure that there really are 2 others? I heard that you're an urban myth.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #6

How do you get on the DNC list in Ontario Canada? It sure would be nice not to have telemarketers calling anymore.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

We leave our answering machine on and our ringer off, and that pretty much seems to stop the calls.

Once the computer detects an answering machine on the line it moves on to the next number.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #8

Quote:

I've gotten a few of these lately, and, since they never identify the bank, I think it may be a phishing scheme.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
I've gotten a few of these lately, and, since they never identify the bank, I think it may be a phishing scheme.
That could be. I have never listened past the beginning of the first sentence, so I have no idea what they are asking for. I know it would be of no interest or concern for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I mute my speakerphone, press the number to speak to a person and let them say "Hello?" a few times. I never hang up first.
Can't do it since I never listen long enough to hear the number (see above). It's not worth it for me to listen to them that long - - that would feel like giving up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Wow, are you sure that there really are 2 others? I heard that you're an urban myth.
Apparently so! I think the other two are over 103 years old, disabled, senile, and completely unable to mark their "X" on the credit card application forms.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:30 AM   #10

I uncharacteristically answered my phone the other day because I was standing right next to it when it rang. The caller asked if I was the head of the household and at least 16 years old or something like that. I told her, politely, that I wouldn’t answer any of her questions and she should never call me again. She explained that she was calling for the Nielsen television rating company and that she wasn’t selling anything. After she responded to my question as to weather or not she understood English I repeated my original response to her question. The tone of her voice changed and she seemed quite offended when she said “don’t worry, we won’t”.

It was a minor victory, but I'll take it.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Since registering on the do not call list a few years ago, the number of commercial calls we get is now very low, close to zero. And those seem to be generated by robots as opposed to a human calling off a list. We also pay about $1.50/mo to have an unlisted phone number since DW was a special ed teacher. That may help as well.

What used to be a big problem has turned into no problem so I'd call the do not call program a success. A happy success!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Something I have done that seems to throw them off when they ask for me, the wife or head of household is respond, "that is not very funny and I do not see why you would call at a time like this." I say no more and hang up the phone.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We leave our answering machine on and our ringer off, and that pretty much seems to stop the calls.
Yup, that ended 90% of the calls here. Most of the other 10% were taken care of by the DNC list. Almost everyone we know, knows that we let the answering machine sort the calls, so if they call all they have to do is say "Hello. It's (insert name here)." Then we'll pick it up.....IF we want to talk to them at that time. It's nice not having dinner interrupted by callers!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
Almost everyone we know, knows that we let the answering machine sort the calls, so if they call all they have to do is say "Hello. It's (insert name here)." Then we'll pick it up.....IF we want to talk to them at that time.
We used to screen our calls, but now we don't even have the volume turned on. We'll turn the ringers on if we're expecting a call, but it's really nice not to be interrupted by loud phone/answering-machine noises in the middle of whatever you're doing. Another symptom of impending hermitage, I guess.

Other side effects include our kid actually planning ahead or dealing with adversity (since Mom & Dad aren't just a rescue call away) and way fewer teenage homework-begging interruptions...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hate getting calls. I have been getting them more frequently as well
Old 02-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I also signed up for the Do Not Call list at the beginning. My understanding is that recently cell phone numbers got release to companies. I got a robocall yesterday I've only had a couple in a few years, so I hope this is not a trend.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a question.
I just recently got a cell phone and did not give my number to anyone but family members, and recently received a text message soliciting stocks. Is it possible this major phone company is selling my information? I wouldn't think so - but how else would they get my number? Or are they doing some kind of speed dialing of every number?
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I don't get the Pavlovian response to the phone ringing. People will jump up from the shitter to answer the phone...

As for me, the DNC list worked for all but local solicitations and political calls. Disconnecting my landline fixed those...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by virginia View Post
Here's a question.
I just recently got a cell phone and did not give my number to anyone but family members, and recently received a text message soliciting stocks. Is it possible this major phone company is selling my information? I wouldn't think so - but how else would they get my number? Or are they doing some kind of speed dialing of every number?
When I first got my new Tracfone I was getting calls because the phone number had been re-issued (or whatever the term is). The person who had the # before had creditors chasing him. As soon as I 'ported' my own cellphone # over, the calls ceased.....obviously. So perhaps the number you have now is just a re-issued #, and the previous owner subscribed to some outfit that's still texting to that #. Just a hunch.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #20

I've gotten a lot more calls too recently. I've received cold calling brokers (think "Boiler Room") to the Mastercard and Visa calls to someone from India wanting my SS# to process an award stay from Holiday Inn.

I usually set the phone down and let them ramble on for a minute or two. The MC&V robocall repeats itself several times.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote