Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Can you tell us more? I have Google voice which I use not at home, but does Obihai allow you to get calls on your telephone?

I looked at the website and can't quite figure it out.....
Sure. There's some basic info here and here

You need to buy the Obihai adapter. I bought mine from Newegg for $40.
Just follow the instructions- basically you plug the internet into the adapter, then plug your phone into the adapter, and fill out a couple of web pages. Once you buy the adapter, there are no monthly charges, as long as Google Voice is free. If Google begins to charge, there are many other VOIP service providers, for around $10/month.

An alternate solution is Basictalk. You pay $10 each month, but there's no upfront fee for the adapter. You get phone support if you have problems with this.

You'll want to make sure you have 911 access, since you're now on the internet, and they don't know your location. With Google Talk, you'll need to pay for what's called an E911 service, for around $1/month. It's included with Basictalk- you just fill out the form so they can find your address and refer any 911 calls to the correct place.

Hope that helps.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post

You need to buy the Obihai adapter.

An alternate solution is Basictalk.
FYI - that's the adapter I got for the in-laws. One (maybe minor) thing is that it only has Ethernet in, no 'out'. This means it needs to go after your router. Not necessarily a big deal, but I've found it makes troubleshooting a bit tougher. I had a conflict with the router, it wouldn't pass calls in one direction. I found a 'fix' - a setting buried deep in the router. But that took considerable googling and lots of dead-ends.

With the TA first, router second, you can mess with your internet set up and never lose the phone connection. A router problem does not affect the phone call.

I looked at BasicTalk just now - just be aware, it looks like they provide absolutely zero call forwarding options. So that won't help with the topic of this thread - unwanted phone calls.

A couple things important to me, YMMV, were:

A) VERY IMPORTANT: FAIL-SAFE CALL Forwarding - if the system can't connect to your TA when a call is placed, you provide a number to call, usually your cell.

B) I want to use a generic TA - if it goes bust, I can replace it on my own for cheap. If I change providers, I can take it with me.

C) Caller ID - I wanted OUTGOING caller ID - I hate those generic IDs (ILLINOIS CALL) that make you look like a spammer.

-ERD50

Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have also been on the DNC list since the beginning but still get the occasional call. I always ask "How did you obtain this federally secure witness protection phone number?" That generates a series of hims and haws followed by babbling about random caller computer software...yada, yada. By then I have already hung up.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
When you get rid of your land line, I assume you have to start giving out your cell phone number when people ask for your phone number (car rental, hotel, buying airline tickets online ect). Do you start getting spam calls on your cell phone?
Not nearly as much . The FCC makes telemarketing to mobile cell phones illegal with no exceptions.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2005/04/dnc.shtm
Old 08-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Google voice with the Obi box looks like a great solution. I'm going to have to try that out, at least as a second line to start. If it works well, then I can give up the land line. The call handling feature look great, especially for a free product. I wonder how much longer it will be free though.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #26

I signed up for the DNC list as soon as it was available and it stopped virtually all the calls. I signed up again when the 5 years was up. Over the past 2 years I now have caller id and I am getting a lot of calls and virtually all are bogus numbers. If I call them back it's a non working or a number that won't accept a call, I think this is called spoofing. So with caller id and voice mail I can just ignore them.

A local company has been calling me 3-4 times a week for a few weeks. Last week I finally answered the phone cuz I am sick of seeing their phone number on caller id. I told them I was not interested in their offer and why the heck are they continuously calling me. So he said he wouldn't call but 4-5 days later their number is on caller id again. I answered and asked why are they calling and he says it takes a few days for the computer to remove me. OK. Sure enough another 4-5 days later they call again and I ignored it. So now I have decided that the next time they call I will schedule an appointment for them to come here and check out my vacuum cleaner. When they arrive I'm going to tell them to leave I refuse to see them and oh BTW GET ME OFF YOUR CALLING LIST. Every single time they call me I will schedule and appointment and when they get here I'm going to tell them to get the hell off my property and that I will continue to schedule appointments until they stop calling me. I think this will stop their BS and if not I'll have fun telling them to f off.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I would like to see a few more of these

If it's a local company, and you want to make some money, it could pay off. If someone is blatantly flaunting the law, knowing that the feds don't enforce it, then it could provide great satisfaction to enforce it yourself, and be compensated for the hassle.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:46 AM   #28
Confused about dryer sheets

I share the same sentiment. I'm on the DNC list but I still get a lot of unsolicited calls, including those that ask for donations. Don't we have laws against such violations?
Old 08-16-2013, 12:50 AM   #29
Confused about dryer sheets

It's sad that despite people's complaints, such as those posted at Callercenter.com, the government do not seem to have a concrete plan in stopping such nuisance calls effectively.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Some of these are effectively unstoppable.

We just got a call that ID'd as "PUBLIC INTEREST". The phone number transmitted with the ID was actually the FAX number for a Utah architectural firm. Now, the caller was definitely not an architect. Not the sort that designs buildings anyway.

They claimed to be representing "a charity you are already donating to", and the caller was clearly fishing for financial information. I'd bet that if I had provided any that the account would have been emptied within a minute. See, a lot of these folks are criminals. You can make all the laws you like about annoying phone calls, but oddly enough, the criminals will ignore the laws if there's money to be made.

The Caller ID system itself provides no security, as any caller with the right equipment can inject their own caller ID information to say pretty much whatever they want. There's nothing in the Bell 202 FSK signal that does anything like a digital signature. (Orange Boxing is the term for folks using a hardware spoofing device on their landline)

Most of these callers are using extremely cheap calling services that use the Voice over IP mechanisms, with the calls originating from 'The Internet'. The phone company has trouble stopping these folks if the call doesn't originate on their network, as they have nobody to pull the plug on. These online providers will let the caller set pretty much anything they want for the caller ID.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VoIP_spam

Some of the classier providers of software and services for the SPIT (Spam over Internet Telephony) community...
http://phone-killer.com/sip/
http://www.phonedialerpro.com/#Automatic
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/A...+auto-dial+out
Old 09-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #31

Since our last posting on this thread I have gone ahead and signed us up for two Google voice local phone numbers, and I purchased an Obitalk OBI110 adapter from Amazon for $50.00. I set up a VOIP line with the Obitalk box and linked it to one of the Google voice numbers and it works great. I purchased a basic two handset phone from Costco for $35.00, and it works just like a standard phone line.

After having great success with this, I thought I might as well get rid of the current Verizon land line and buy a second Obi box this week. However, when I called Verizon to cancel my phone, they informed me that because of the bundled FIOS pricing (phone/TV/Internet) that I am receiving, there would be no discount for canceling the phone. So I would be saving nothing by buying the Obitalk box. This seems pretty odd to me, but if I look at the bundled pricing currently being offered to new subscribers, when I delete phone services from the bundle it only takes $10.00 off the price of the bundle. So even though it shows on my bill that I'm paying $30.00 per month for phone service, I would have only saved $10.00 by not signing up for a phone when I ordered the bundle, and even after the promotion ends, I will only save $10.00.

I still like Google voice for all of the extra features it offers, but it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to save any money by getting rid of the land line. What I'll likely do is give out my google voice number as my main number, and then have it ring both my land line and cell phone for all calls so that I can answer it from any device that's convenient.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this. I'm still receiving a bunch of telemarketing calls, but I guess I won't solve that problem unless I cancel or change the number.