Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Do U Travel?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

My Wife backpacked through Europe in the early 70's. slept in caves in Crete, went to small Greek Islands that tourists at that time had not found, spent a few months in the interior of the Canary Islands, she still loves to travel, but we disagree in that I want to check into the first Hotel and throw down my AMEX, she insists on small places on side streets at a fraction of the price, she wins.

I travelled the World for business, but frankly it was just another Hilton with an accent.

Travel now is to mainly the South and South West of England, we enjoy the culture and the climate, and since we love to take long walks, the ability to go for a few hours and have lunch at a small Village pub is our idea of fun.

The major problem with travelling in the US is the crowds, it is hard to find small spots where you can visit and enjoy some solitude.

I visit Hawaii and all I hear is Joni Mitchel singing "They paved Paradise and made it into a Parking Lot"(, with respect to Nords.)
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion

I travelled the World for business, but frankly it was just another Hilton with an accent.

I hear what you are saying.* 135 nights with Hilton since October.* Also averaging 10 plus flight segments a month.* You know business travel is so different than leisure travel. Well at least it is for me. So as for travel I used to think I would travel a lot once I retired but the way work is going the next 3 or so years, I think I will take a long break before I hit the road in retirement.

Tomcat98
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Traveling is fun! Still working, so hard to get away for long trips, but sometimes can combine business/pleasure. Last 12 monthes: 10 days in Portugal in April, weekends commuting to Manhattan all summer (girlfriend's job), Bermuda cruise in September; Carribbean cruise in October, 6 days in Paris in November, 6 days skiing Utah in December, manhattan weekend in January, 6 days skiing Utah in February, 10 days in Madrid/Paris in March (son's semester abroad), girlfriend currently skiing Mammoth mountain with friends but I've gotta work....sigh...
jerryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #24

I will begin my "perpetual travelling" adventure in about a 1 1/2 months. My plan is to settle in a new place, live there or use it a jumping point to explore a larger region and go when it's time to leave. I will most likely return to Thailand in the Fall and stay there until ..... I have never done this before but I have a feeling that I will love it (I hope). I am taking my newly acquired folding bicycle to keep me company , to give me much needed exercise and mobility.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #25

vagabond, too you it is a bike, to some people it's a years income, make sure you watch it.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
. . .I travelled the World for business, but frankly it was just another Hilton with an accent.
I traveled a lot for work and quickly came to see travel the same way. *Then I decided to change it. *I decided that I would not get up prior to my normal wake-up time in order to travel to a remote location. *This meant that if I had to be in Boston for a 8:00 AM meeting, I would fly out the day before. *If I was leaving the day before, I might as well leave early enough to get in some tourist time. *Similarly, I began to consider after hours travel as time-on-the-clock that I would get back -- either the next day or the next trip. *I didn't mind working on the plane, but that was time I was owed at a later date. *I tried to arrange meetings to be on Fridays or Mondays if I were traveling to a place of some interest. *I would then pay for my wife's travel and stay the weekend. *On several occasions I used vacation days to tack onto the front end or back end of European travel. *I took 3 weeks of vacation prior to my business trip to Egypt several years ago. *DW always came with me on these trips.

My management would grumble from time to time about my travel policy, and I would simply offer to let someone else make the trip. *I always had plenty of other options to keep me busy.

I still had to make a lot of trips to Podunk with little in the way of tourist value. *But I benefited a lot from several of the other trips. *
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
I still had to make a lot of trips to Podunk with little in the way of tourist value.
Ah HAH! So YOU were that weird guy who would show up around here every now and then looking lost and bored. Mystery solved...

REW
Director of Marketing
Podunk Chamber of Commerce

Old 04-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Ah HAH!* So YOU were that weird guy who would show up around here every now and then looking lost and bored.* Mystery solved...

REW
Director of Marketing
Podunk Chamber of Commerce

Lost maybe, but never bored. When I am in places that offer little in the way of scenic beauty or formal entertainment/educational offerings, I try to find someplace to meet and talk with locals. There is always plenty of entertainment/educational value there.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:13 PM   #29

Quote:
vagabond, too you it is a bike, to some people it's a years income, make sure you watch it.
I will keep it as plain looking as possible. I will rarely chain it up but if I have to, I am bringing a kryptonite ulock and an Abus (German) 33" hardened 8mm link chain
and

4 rabid attack killer dogs
Old 04-27-2006, 09:57 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Looks like old George is in southern Utah right now. Anyone ever been to Zion National Park?

http://vagabonders-supreme.net/blog/blog.html
Old 04-27-2006, 10:26 AM   #31

Yes, Zion is beautiful. A great place to hike! There's a brewery near there too - Polygamy beer, why have just one?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:25 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny
There's a brewery near there too - Polygomy beer, why have just one?
Sounds like my place to visit!*