Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
It is threads like this that torment those of us still working -- but also keep us focused on the beautiful goal of ER!
After one month and two days, I can definitively say that retirement is awesome and more wonderful than I ever dreamed of. It is a worthy goal! And now I have another month ahead of me that will be just as wonderful as the last, and then another month and another and on and on. I don't think the joy will ever wear off. (And by the way, if this is all a dream, don't wake me up! )

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:14 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I've seriously considered getting a "day clock"....but since I don't really care what day it is, it would just be a waste of good money.
We were having problems remembering what day it was. And that's important in a resort town. You don't want to be out on the roads on the weekends in the summer. Anyway, we got this "antique" metal calendar, with the little circular magnets that you move every day so you know the month, date, and day of the week. I just checked it, and it's Tuesday, July 28th. Works like a champ!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
For about the first week or two of my retirement I knew what day of the week it was. After that, and since then, I've normally had absolutely NO freakin' idea what day of the week it is....and I don't care!!!

I've seriously considered getting a "day clock"....but since I don't really care what day it is, it would just be a waste of good money.

If I'm not traveling, I can normally figure out Wednesdays, 'cause that's when the neighbors have their garbage out at the curb for pick-up, thus reminding me to put ours out as well. And if I need to go grocery shopping, I'll ask someone at the coffee shop what day it is, so I don't accidentally go on a Saturday...Saturday grocery shoppers seem to be a rabid mob of evil humans that I try my best to avoid!
What he said!

Monday is trash/recycle day because neighbors set out stuff. Occasionally I go to grocery store on weekend or holiday because I forgot.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

After 2 1/2 years in FIRE, I still have to check the paper to see what day it is (except for Sunday ... a real big paper).

... but I do see a difference, ... Weekends are when traffic, stores, museums, libraries, parks, beaches (in the summer) ... etc. get crowded. I hate standing in lines. I like it when the w*rking stiffs are, ... well w*rking.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:58 PM   #25

Yes, but the other day I would have sworn Thursday was Saturday.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #26

More traffic on weekends, I try to avoid shopping for groceries on weekends.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I like Saturday morning. My routine is unchanged from working years. I clean house and do laundry while listening to my public radio shows.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

dh2b still works, so my weekend clock gets triggered by his presence underfoot.
Just kidding...I love having him around.
I do not impose any tight schedules or large scale honey-dos on him on weekends so HE can get a small taste of FIRE, even if it is only for 48 hours. His week is SO tightly schedule driven...