Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?
NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple 74 77.89%
I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real 14 14.74%
It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real 3 3.16%
It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2008, 10:47 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
This is going to spark a lively discussion....I can just sense it!
Being the resident board artist and into the supernatural /energy mumbo jumbo....I do beleive in psychics. I have been to a couple of bad ones, but I have also gone to two really good ones who would never have known the details of my life based just on my birthday and my name.
I have always had the philosophy that anything is possible and probable in this vast universe and try to keep a very open mind.
One of the people from CSI who debunks psychics and such says he always approaches them with an open mind.
CSI On-line: Scientifically Investigating Paranormal and Fringe Science Claims

Research at the above site and you will find out the techniques used.
Houdine spent a great deal of his time exposing the tricks of psychics and such.
Read this site also:
Home*-*James Randi Educational Foundation

Challenge Info*-*James Randi Educational Foundation

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

There is a lot of good info on the CSI site.

Argument from Ignorance and Open Minds (Skeptical Inquirer January 1998)
-- an argument from ignorance -- broadly of the following kind:
  1. No one has disproved p (where p stands for any hypothesis, e.g., psychics are able to communicate with the dead; some alien abduction accounts are true).
  2. So it is possible that p is true.
  3. If it is possible that p is true, then we should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.
Conclusion: We should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.

They See Dead People-Or Do They? (Skeptical Inquirer Sep 2003)
They See Dead People - Or Do They?

An Investigation of Television Mediums

John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved; Investigative Files (Skeptical Inquirer November 2001)
John Edward: Hustling the Bereaved

‘Psychics’ Fail to Foresee Their Own Fortunes

"Sir Arthur," remembered Ernst, "came to the conclusion that Houdini really accomplished the feat by psychic aid, and could not be persuaded otherwise." Doyle's reaction, and the refusal to consider trickery even when admitted by the trickster, was so typical, noted Houdini, that "here is little wonder in his believing in Spiritualism so implicitly."
Houdini's Impossible Demonstration; Notes on a Strange World (Skeptical Inquirer July/August 2006)

Although mainstream science has never validated any psychic ability, self-styled clairvoyants, diviners, spirit mediums, and soothsayers continue to sell their fantasies—and in some cases to shrewdly purvey their cons—to a credulous public. Particularly disturbing is a resurgence of alleged psychic crime-solving.
The Case of the ‘Psychic Detectives’; Investigative Files (Skeptical Inquirer August 2005)

Old 07-29-2008, 01:35 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Lazygood4nothinbum

I just had someone think it was stupid and didn't like the way it was worded...but zero complaints on the psychics poll.

I made a God poll in the soap box. I thought about it and I would like to see the results so what the heck!

Dex

Nice posts!

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
There is a lot of good info on the CSI site.

Argument from Ignorance and Open Minds (Skeptical Inquirer January 1998)
-- an argument from ignorance -- broadly of the following kind:
  1. No one has disproved p (where p stands for any hypothesis, e.g., psychics are able to communicate with the dead; some alien abduction accounts are true).
  2. So it is possible that p is true.
  3. If it is possible that p is true, then we should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.
Conclusion: We should keep our minds open to the investigation of p's truth.
I have had a long standing argument with a person about alien abductions, satanic sacrifices, and cults of child molesters (aka day care centers). She is of the opinion that I do not have an open mind. I am of the opinion that her mind is so open that everything fell out.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
her mind is so open that everything fell out.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I have had a long standing argument with a person about alien abductions, satanic sacrifices, and cults of child molesters (aka day care centers). She is of the opinion that I do not have an open mind. I am of the opinion that her mind is so open that everything fell out.
That does seem to be the tendency.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Apparently astrologers can't predict earthquakes these days.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 AM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Martha

That is what your brain is for. To sort out information. If you see something that dose not make sense then you shouldn't believe it!

Unfortunately there is a lot of people who believe in things that have absolutely no basis at all!

Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

We usually call those people "upper management"...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote