Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Can psychics really contact the spirits of dead people?
NO WAY they are con artists plain and simple 74 77.89%
I doubt it but I do think there is some chance it's for real 14 14.74%
It might be just fraud but I think it's probably for real 3 3.16%
It's DEFINITELY for real they actually talk to the spirits 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe in psychics? anonymous poll
Old 07-24-2008, 02:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you believe in psychics? anonymous poll

I realize some people get all worked up that believe in this so if it upsets you sorry!

First off I don't believe in psychics at all. I don't think anyone could disprove or prove that I can see little green men for instance but you could for sure prove if what they were telling me was accurate or not.

It seems to me that these psychics on tv get their fair share of airtime even after channeling the spirits of the LIVING and making other blunders that you would think would be career ending...yet they still thrive charging a lot for readings and writing books.

Instead of playing the " I'm thinking of a name starting with the letter J" game all that would be needed is to just do a simple test.

Have 20 people that recently lost a loved one tell their name and where they are from and let the psychic tell you about your lost loved one without playing 50 questions. I bet no psychic could even get the gender right much better than chance...that is why none will ever take a challenge like that.

But with all this said I'm in the MINORITY for sure in my family that does not believe in this! In fact I'm not sure that anyone else out of maybe 30+ people does not believe in it but me.

There is a lot of smart people on here I wanted to see what other thought on if this is for real or not....you know my answer...NO WAY!

Jim

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Numbers, I only want numbers...
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Numbers, I only want numbers...

Six number, with the powerball identified. Then, I'll be a believer!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How can you not believe in physics? That's just stupid. ;-)
Old 07-24-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Well, you did come to the right place to ask the question for the answer that you want. We are a board of skeptics.

Sometimes I do think that people can become convinced of their own con.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #5

These people are con artists. They prey on people who have lost loved ones and want to believe this nonsense.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:56 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ha! I thought the thread title was "Do you believe in physics?"! (not everyone does, dontcha know!)

Seriously - NO WAY!

But since when have people stopped believing in a bunch of phony hooey mumbo jumbo supernatural nonsense that violates all concepts of rational thought? People like to believe. In psychics, in the supernatural, in religion. It's comforting in a non-analytical way. Who wouldn't like to think that our earthly existence continues on in some form or another post mortem? And that psychics can communicate with these perma-souls?

Unfortunately our level of desire for some thing to be true doesn't have any bearing on the ultimate truthfulness of that thing.

But be careful condemning something like psychics for milking folks for their money. They provide comfort to folks. To remain intellectually honest, you might find yourself condemning all the world's religions as equally ridiculous.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is going to spark a lively discussion....I can just sense it!
Being the resident board artist and into the supernatural /energy mumbo jumbo....I do beleive in psychics. I have been to a couple of bad ones, but I have also gone to two really good ones who would never have known the details of my life based just on my birthday and my name.
I have always had the philosophy that anything is possible and probable in this vast universe and try to keep a very open mind.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I'm always bemused when someone has passed, and the remark "they're in heaven now" is delivered, as comfort I suppose. My understanding is that no one will enter heaven until the "end of time"...

Consistancy is the hobgoblin of skeptical minds, or something like that...

"He's dead, Jim"

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_reading
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carnac.jpg (54.6 KB, 179 views)
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
This is going to spark a lively discussion....I can just sense it!

You might even say that your rational faculties have led you to infer that, based on observation of past discussions of similar types both on this board and in your personal life, that this type of discussion generally leads to a lively discussion? Seems like a rational, logical, well-founded inference.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, the "reely-truuuly sci-kicks" would have seen this thread coming and prepared some really insprirational replies.......waiting......waiting.......waiting ;-)

OTOH, this is a somewhat realists's forum, so maybe the "reely-truuuly sci-kicks" would have determined that responding would have been a waste of time.

......either way I'm right, so does that make me a sci-kick?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
These people are con artists. They prey on people who have lost loved ones and want to believe this nonsense.
I agree 100% - - self-styled psychics who charge a fee consistently seem to be con artists.

On the other hand, I don't discount the possibility that some people can sense the spirits of the dead. A lot depends on how you define "spirits". Frank and I have both felt a strong presence of lost loved ones (though we haven't actually seen them or sat down and had a heart to heart chat with any of them! )

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Most people believe in what they want to hear.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM   #14

Don't believe in pyschics at all. I would say I don't believe in 97.31% of psychology either.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Don't believe in pyschics at all. I would say I don't believe in 97.31% of psychology either.
Wait. Pys-chics? What sort of strange beings do you consort with?
Old 07-24-2008, 09:34 AM   #16

All BS.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Back in the day, at work, a half dozen people shared a couple of phone lines and we took messages for each other (quaint, eh?). Someone called to leave a message to say the company psychic's club meeting had been canceled. I heard my cohort exclaim, "if that crap worked you wouldn't need to call!"
Old 07-24-2008, 09:41 AM   #18

Wait, you haven't heard of pyschics yet? Let's just say, they've heard about you...
Old 07-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #19

The ones I encountered were very good at extrapolating from bits of information gleaned during introductions. One specific event I encountered long ago in Tampa, Florida. A friend took me to a meeting run by a self professed psychic.

Upon entering I was introduced as a friend from New York, then the show begun. Part way through the psychic announced that we have a visitor from very very far away, where they speak in ancient tongues.

And that she can see the tall building around where I now live, and little buildings from where our guest was born. Further she announced that this visitor is going far away to the cold cold cold world, where there is important work for him to do. Then she asked if I could confirm her vision. I said yes. Whereupon the crowd cheered and congratulated her.
Not wishing to engage in explaining that her visions were precise generalities easily extrapolated from our introduction, I left shortly thereafter. Oh and there were errors.

Yes then I came from NY, but did dot live in Manhattan, but 30 miles away in suburbia with max. 3 story buildings. Yes she could discern my still distinct accent, and the fact that during intro, based on her question I said I was born in a small village in a European country (I named the country). Doh-- small buildings.

She also knew from intro that I was heading to Alaska, but did not know that the destination was the Aleutian Islands, which rarely go below 28 degrees F. Oh yes there was Important work. I was getting paid by my university research labs to install seismic sensor gear and telemetry. It was important to the Phd types to get data and write papers and get more funding to do more resaerch to get more data ........ wash rinse repeat often.

So yeah I too could be a psychic, but am not good at frequent BS. Though can pull it off successfully if needed.

Edit add; But she was a really good looking psy chic.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Edit add; But she was a really good looking psy chic.
Tall blond Phd, Tulane - I tested INTJ. Years later - The Retire Early Homepage - Is There a Retire Early Personality Type?

Karma? Nope just dinking around with my webtv I got on sale at K Mart. Also Dory36's old forum.

heh heh heh - skeptical - but I've had my coffee so I will try to keep an open mind.

BTW - the free market on the other thread is now on coffee release. .