Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-11-2016, 12:36 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone with more bling than me is shallow. Anyone with less bling just does not appreciate the finer things in life.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:37 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
I'm not a huge wine drinker and usually just go with the store recommendations but the tour/tasting was fun. I was absolutely FLOORED at what people where dropping on bottles of wine. I mean they had some fancy smancy bottle there for $7K and people were seriously thinking of buying it.
How much wine had they had before having this discussion? ;-)

Definitely not my thing. I love wine, but the difference between a $50 bottle and a $7K bottle would be wasted on me.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
You've read rayinpenn before. It didn't occur to you that he was kidding?
Sorry- sometimes a comment is hard to interpret when there's no body language, facial expression or tone of voice to accompany it!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I'm a guy who just a month ago finally traded my flip phone for a smart phone.

I drive a 12 yr old car and very content with it.

Can't stand wearing any jewelry (rings or necklaces or even a wrist watch).

Haven't wore my wedding ring in 15 yrs. (been married for almost 31 yrs). My finger got too fat.
You bought a smartphone? We use hand-me-down phones from our kids when they upgraded. Recently, some apps on my iPhone 3GS refused to run, saying I needed to update. Tried to update, but then they said I needed new iOS. Tried to download new iOS, Apple said "Are you kidding?".

We both have not been wearing our rings for a very long time. We are active people, and the rings interfered with our work.

We spend a lot of money on things that we enjoy, but that people do not see.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

I like nice things, especially clothes and house-related items. Marita's kitchen sounds gorgeous and I can appreciate a Louis Vuitton satchel although I would probably not pay more than $300 for a purse. But I compensate for my spending by bargain hunting and using items until they wear out. I wear the same clothes to work almost every week varying only with season. And I don't care about electronics or jewelry, have expensive hobbies, or drink much; drive a ten year old BMW; and, limit my fine dining to vacations which are usually long weekends in conjunction with business trips.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:05 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
For those of us who find travel highly overrated, hearing about how someone has a deeper understanding of the world than you do because they took a trip can be just as annoying as hearing someone brag about their $1,200 purse.
I love to travel but I agree with this 100 percent. I have listened to so much travel one-upmanship (mention you're going to Whereverland and they're all "you must go to _____, the coffee is divine" because of course they know all about it).
Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Sorry- sometimes a comment is hard to interpret when there's no body language, facial expression or tone of voice to accompany it!
You're absolutely right. But, doesn't a history (even a short history) with someone give you an idea on how to interpret the tone of that person's writing?

Now I find this interesting because I don't know how to interpret the tone of your above post. I can't tell if what the "Sorry" means. Are you saying, "Sorry"-I couldn't care less about what you think, redduck" or are you saying, "Sorry" I may have misinterpreted rayinpenn's post." Or are you expressing something else?
Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #68

What is this "bling" stuff?

I guess that means I don't chase it. But today I did spend $315.30 (including tax) on a brand-spankin'-new Stihl model HS-45 hedge trimmer if that counts.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #69

Do you chase the bling?

Quote:
To each his own. You wanna wear plastic shoes from PayLess, made by slave labor in China, that break and have to be thrown into a landfill and replaced every year? Be my guest. With the exception of my jewelry, which is a definite splurge, my values for buying clothing and shoes- buy good quality and wear it for years-are remnants of a less-materialistic era.

Athena ... Of course I was kidding a couple of old classy warm sweaters and cherished bag or two isn't bling baby. Besides Aren't we old enough to laugh at ourselves? FYI, Bling hoarding I made that up...Blingers toss it, give it away or let it rot.
They don't cherish it.

By the by even if you were "Big Moma Bling" it would be just fine. Child labor in China... Jeeze!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM   #70

I don't volunteer info. About my trips or talk up places I've been to.

I don't widely share my photos. Post a few online but most remain on my system.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:37 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
I don't volunteer info. About my trips or talk up places I've been to.

I don't widely share my photos. Post a few online but most remain on my system.
Travel hoarder?
Old 07-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #72
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
We went for a day trip to Annapolis today ... Busy with tourist in the summer sun. I saw a number of Ferraris and Porsches cruising the busy streets that clearly fall in the super car category. They are pretty but loud I'm guessing there owners want to be noticed. I just don't get it?

Do you or did you chase the bling ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
In my 20s I expected to chase some of the bling. I don't know why, but women wearing visible amounts of makeup have never been appealing - and I must exude that vibe, because the women who've shown interest in me were all make-free. But in my late 20s and early 30s, I went through a fair number of used European cars and convinced myself they were "the right choice" for me. Maintenance costs, however, were painful. I was 42 when I said "I need to back off on complicated cars for a while" and bought a 10 year old Civic. Damn thing surprised me. Yeah, it was buzzy, but the light weight and short wheelbase made it MUCH more nimble than the so-called "performance sedans" from Germany., And it went 10 years withour repairs. I stuck with Hondas for quite some time, happy that repair/maintenance costs were never more than 8-10% of the total cost of the car including purchase/disposal and so on. Recently I decided I wanted a muscular car, but I didn't go exotic, I acquired the performance model from a brand known for longevity.

In other products, I try to go without for as long as possible. Not to be cheap, but everything requires maintenance even if it's just battery charging and dusting. When I do buy something, I start with a relatively inexpensive one and see how that goes. 80% of the time, a cheap object does the job fine.

So no, you're not the only one who doesn't care about bling.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #73
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I guess that means I don't chase it. But today I did spend $315.30 (including tax) on a brand-spankin'-new Stihl model HS-45 hedge trimmer if that counts.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:11 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

Yep that hedge trimmer counts. And Stihl is super bling
Old 07-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Do you chase the bling?

Quote:

Your comment rings so true with me. I made a life time at work and anywhere saying the most over the top offending outrageous things that never resulted in a wayward look, because I had a unique ability (probably one of only a few I had) to do it with proper facial expression and tone. If it was just on paper with no context it would have got me in trouble all the time. My GF has the unique ability NOT to be able to do this so I can never tell when she is mad, joking or being snide. So I try to tip toe around verbally until I can figure it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #76

Do you chase the bling?

Bling shines, glitters or generally attracts attention. Like a red Ferrari it is impractical and expensive...it screams hey look at me I've got the money.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 07-11-2016, 05:48 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

What about very fine, expensive artwork? Bought for its beauty, not with the canny eye toward "it'll be worth more some day"?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

And breast implants. Do those count as bling? Just wondering, since the definition is under debate.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:52 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And breast implants. Do those count as bling? Just wondering, since the definition is under debate.
They're an investment to attract bling...
Old 07-11-2016, 05:54 PM   #80
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
And underwear--there are some mighty fine lacy items that cost beau oup bucks that no one will ever know about....