Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Our bling chasing years were 1985 through 2005. Now we have even cancelled the jewelry insurance because we don't want to replace the tennis bracelet and other items. The BMW convertible was our last luxury car. We love public transit and taxis. No Uber for us yet.

Our 3300 sq.ft. penthouse and our 1750 sq.ft. snowbird condo are our ongoing extravagances, along with regular housekeeping service all year round in both places.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I should do that too. I sold a lot of it and the really valuable stuff is locked in the safe.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:04 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Yeah that's the thing I recall, BBQ tasted so much better on these little hibachis instead of those expensive Weber gas grills.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

There are certain things I like to splurge on, particularly things that make life easier while I'm working. I also spend a lot more on work clothes than I plan to spend when I retire, and I like to be able to give generous gifts and I like to splurge on vacations that I enjoy. I mostly don't want the cheapest hotel in town, but I don't need a resort in Tahiti either.

So I don't mind spending for things I enjoy, but luckily I don't enjoy designer labels or trendy things. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:16 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Which is totally cool but I guess what I have a problem with is this "air of superiority" we here project about what we spend our money on. Just the fact of this thread, 'bling=bad" when the reality is we all spend money on our own choice of "bling". Be it travel, guitars, vacation homes or bags. Why should Martha carry a 50k bag if she so desires, she most definitely can afford one.

So in reality if the definition of "bling" was extended, a whole lot of these no responses would have to change. One man's bling is another man's necessity.
I don't think bling is bad if you can afford it. I'm just making a personal value judgment that $50k in my hands would go toward something productive instead of a sack to carry stuff in.

Alternatively, I'd spend the $50k on experiences or things that buy me experiences (like a kayak or mountain bike or boat).

Those that do enjoy the bling don't have to justify it to any of us. We won't understand it anyway.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Which is totally cool but I guess what I have a problem with is this "air of superiority" we here project about what we spend our money on. Just the fact of this thread, 'bling=bad" when the reality is we all spend money on our own choice of "bling". Be it travel, guitars, vacation homes or bags. Why should Martha carry a 50k bag if she so desires, she most definitely can afford one.

So in reality if the definition of "bling" was extended, a whole lot of these no responses would have to change. One man's bling is another man's necessity.
I am thinking about the last statement. Most of us have a regular home, and I wonder if tiny home dwellers think of our homes as blings.

I think a bling must have at least the following attributes. First, it must be expensive and uncommon. Two, it must be visible, readily identified and associated with the owner or bearer.

I want to say that the owner of a bling would require the above attributes before buying it, but I cannot read people's mind to assert that about any random person. It may very well be that someone who buys a $50K handbag does so because she loves the beauty of the bag, even if she does not use it in the public or to take it to a ballroom. She might just keep it for private admiration and contemplation.

I have heard stories of billionaires who buy rare paintings for their own enjoyment, and at most share the viewing with their close friends over an after-meal drink and cigars. Are these collectibles bling?

I do not have excess money to acquire any such treasure, so I do not know if I would buy something like that if I were sufficiently rich. But if I would buy something as a collection item, I would not think of it as bling.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

This answers my question (since no one answered it directly) about elective breast implants done strictly to enlarge the breasts (not the ones done to restore the woman's original appearance after mastectomy).

Think of the expense as being not just in money, but in physical risk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I think a bling must have at least the following attributes. First, it must be expensive and uncommon. Two, it must be visible, readily identified and associated with the owner or bearer.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:15 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
elective breast implants done strictly to enlarge the breasts
In many instances such procedures might be considered 'career enhancing' investments.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I am thinking about the last statement. Most of us have a regular home, and I wonder if tiny home dwellers think of our homes as blings.

I want to say that the owner of a bling would require the above attributes before buying it, but I cannot read people's mind to assert that about any random person. It may very well be that someone who buys a $50K handbag does so because she loves the beauty of the bag, even if she does not use it in the public or to take it to a ballroom. She might just keep it for private admiration and contemplation.

I have heard stories of billionaires who buy rare paintings for their own enjoyment, and at most share the viewing with their close friends over an after-meal drink and cigars. Are these collectibles bling? Yep

I do not have excess money to acquire any such treasure, so I do not know if I would buy something like that if I were sufficiently rich. But if I would buy something as a collection item, I would not think of it as bling.
lol, I think they definitely do.

Case in point. My sister and her husband. 2 retired NYC cops (great pensions) a couple of NYC apartments bring in extra income. when they retired they purchased a 9,000 square foot home right outside of West Point in Upstate NY. they have no kids and also hate to travel. NW, you should see this back yard. it would put some hotel spa's to shame.

Here's the thing, they take so much flak from people. stuff like "why do they need all that space, no kids" and "I can't believe they took out a million dollar mortgage after retirement", on and on.

they love their house, it brings them way more joy than traveling done (brings me joy too, lol they host some serious parties). yet they get all kinds of criticism.

So I keep to my belief, everybody has some type of "bling" and just like many other areas, we've assigned "the right way" and "the wrong way".

A couple spends a million dollars on a round the world trip, they get kudos.
they are "worldly", "expanding their minds" etc etc.

A couple spends the exact same amount on luxury automobiles, lol they are "chasing bling"

but your right maybe the word "bling" which came out of the Hip hop/rap culture is supposed to mean a certain thing.
So maybe it's not that we are not chasing bling because we're wiser maybe it's simply a matter of we're older.

I can't imagine me sporting a dookie gold chain, or gold hoop earrings with my name in the middle.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Not in my line of work. Must be why I don't see many. I knew one woman who had a facelift, but the only reason I knew is that she went around telling everybody. You really couldn't see much difference.

Now, the one sanctioned big splurge amongst my peers has to be Daughter's Wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
In many instances such procedures might be considered 'career enhancing' investments.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not in my line of work. Must be why I don't see many.
Strippers/showgirls, some 'actresses', would be trophy wives, etc....essential apparatus, (possibly claimable on tax returns).

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:43 AM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Me, too. I felt like a queen in those beautiful work outfits, with a lovely lapel pin. Classy, not trendy. I miss that.

And while I don't give lots of gifts, I like to give the perfect gift for the particular person, and that sometimes means not fussing too much over cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiek View Post
There are certain things I like to splurge on, particularly things that make life easier while I'm working. I also spend a lot more on work clothes than I plan to spend when I retire, and I like to be able to give generous gifts and I like to splurge on vacations that I enjoy. I mostly don't want the cheapest hotel in town, but I don't need a resort in Tahiti either.

So I don't mind spending for things I enjoy, but luckily I don't enjoy designer labels or trendy things. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

But for anyone else, it is strictly bling. "Look at these!" The worst is when the male partner "pressures" the woman into getting the implants. I've read of several such cases. In a way, I think it could be considered bling for the MAN! "I must be special...look at how she sticks out in front!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Strippers/showgirls, some 'actresses', would be trophy wives, etc....essential apparatus, (possibly claimable on tax returns).
Old 07-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #134

Quote:

Yes, agree. This is why these "spending" threads are not very interesting or useful. It always comes down to affordability and taste. Too personal to get much insight. My definition of "Bling" is being ostentatious, and being in bad taste. A good example (for me) is huge gold chains or rings.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:35 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

If I'm not mistaken the word was defined by hip hop artists who were bragging about things they bought when they saw success.

As for a big home and backyard, if they're regularly entertaining, they are able to show off I guess. At least on House Hunters, the ability to have guests over on a big backyard deck or in an "open concept" floor plan which allows people to socialize while prepping food for their guests seem to be a big requirement for people choosing which homes to buy or rent.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Do you chase the bling?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Do you chase the bling?

There's not much I own that could be considered ostentatious. I have several guitars, mostly lower/mid models bought used. Don't own or wear jewelry. Clothing mostly from Kohl's, with comfort being the prime consideration. Drive a Prius, live in a 1650sf "ranch", etc. In truth, my budget wouldn't support purchasing Euro sport/luxury cars, designer clothing, Swiss watches, etc. anyway, but I can't say I miss them.

Granted, I do/will spend extravagantly, for me, on some things, but those expenditures wouldn't necessarily be obvious to a casual observer.

Having said that, to each their own. It's not my money... But, given that many have no savings or investments, and are in debt past their eyeballs, it could be said that it does, or will, effect me indirectly, when said folks reach retirement age, and then complain of the unfairness of working for a lifetime, and of retiring with "nothing"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 09:23 AM   #137

As far as the breast implants = bling... I'd say yes. I live in SoCal and they're pretty common. At the beach they are easy to spot... when a person lies down to sunbathe - they defy gravity. The mom of one of my son's friends has 'em. She's worked a variety of jobs (blackjack dealer, cocktail waitress, sales rep) where they probably did enhance her earnings.

I'm still picturing Bestwifeever with a weber grill attached to her teeth - enhanced grill.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
A good example (for me) is huge gold chains or rings.
They are essential for Corvette-loving middle aged men.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:40 AM   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
But for anyone else, it is strictly bling. "Look at these!" The worst is when the male partner "pressures" the woman into getting the implants. I've read of several such cases. In a way, I think it could be considered bling for the MAN! "I must be special...look at how she sticks out in front!"
My California based SIL in Santa Clara has them and wears them proudly. She calls them "The Twins". Her second (or third?) husband paid for them along with a full face/neck/eye lift and other stuff. For a woman in her 60's, she certainly has the "bling".
Old 07-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #140

Quote:
But for anyone else, it is strictly bling. "Look at these!" The worst is when the male partner "pressures" the woman into getting the implants. I've read of several such cases. In a way, I think it could be considered bling for the MAN!"

My reply to any man who would ask such a thing of me would be, "You first."

Once he's been surgically enlarged, then we'll talk.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum