Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-31-2018, 10:16 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassius King View Post
Like seeing the Big Green Eggs mentioned a couple of times already. Have some chicken spiedies marinading in the fridge for tonight or tomorrow nights dinner.

Spiedies? You’re speaking my hometown language!
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2018, 11:32 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tonight will be a new twist on an old family meal. A one dish delight. Chicken baked on a bed on stove top stuffing with canned corn on top. Tonight I'm adding a little mole sauce to the chicken.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

A friend grows Fava Beans, and gave us some. I boiled them up and marinated them in olive oil, balsalmic vinegar, a little red onion and garlic salt and pepper. Yummo! Great as a side, on salad, or just eat out of the jar with a spoon.
Mango1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #44
gone traveling

Wife made Penang chicken curry for lunch

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:10 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
OK........I've attached two photos of recent bibimbap dishes we prepared. Both of them have an assortment of veggies from our garden........usually carrots, onion, kale or chard, red bell pepper, fresh sprouts, and mushrooms (we use oyster mushrooms that we pick wild). And if we have other veggies available (cucumbers, etc), we add those too, along with garlic and ginger. The meat in one of the photos is pork, I believe, and the other one is ribeye. And we add a farm egg to top it off. The egg is raw at first, but the stone bowls are hot, so when you mix up the ingredients at the table, the egg drops down onto the hot bowl and cooks quickly. Oh, and at the bottom of the bowl is sushi rice, which gets a little crispy when you heat the bowls up on top of the stove. If you like, you can add bibimbap sauce, which is made with gochugang (you can buy gochugang, but we usually make our own). Everyone in our family loves bibimbap.........great stuff!
So if you are a mushroom hunter, do you ever find and harvest boletus? We occasionally get dishes with them in Europe and the flavor is incredible! Saw fresh whole boletus in the markets there. Only see dried (porcini) in the US.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

For lunch, grilled cheese with cheddar, mayo, and home sprouted mung beans. The mung sprouts held up to the heat. I was a little hesitant to try sprouting them, because web instruction all say home mung sprouts are much more spindly than store bought. That seems to be true, but they still are more substantial than most sprouts and held up to heat and taste much much better than store bought. It will be hard not to have this for dinner too!
Old 06-01-2018, 05:07 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
We subscribe to 4 cooking magazines.
Would you please post which magazines you like?

I need some better ones than available here.

Thanks!
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #48

Veggies with a sour cream dip with some Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. Then some grilled filet ends seasoned with some coffee dust, sauteed veggie blend with herb olive oil, washed down with some 2014 Petite Syrah.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:37 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Shrimp and Grits. With some mixed veggies on the side.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:22 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

DH did all the grilling while he was alive. I like to think I'm not bound by gender stereotypes (I was, after all, the Chief Investment Officer in the marriage), but I never touched the grill except to turn or baste what was cooking on occasion. We had an easy-to-use propane grill but I was always worried something would blow up. After DH died I didn't touch it for almost 6 months, then had a friend walk me through it step-by-step (and reassure me that an explosion was EXTREMELY unlikely). It still took me months to venture out and use it. That was until last week. Wow. It's really not that hard!

I don't eat a lot of meat but I LOVE vegetables and stuck a few on skewers and added a simple marinade of olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Fantastic. I think I've used the grill 5 out of the last 7 days. Bonus: it keeps the heat from cooking out of the kitchen.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #51

Been offline as I broke my computer. fixed now. I LOVE to cook, and living in the styx, there are more options and generally better food in my kitchen than eating out. Except fried chicken which I never cook because Piggly Wiggly does it so well and with no mess. This weekend we had jambalaya with fresh squash from the garden and blackberry/blueberry pie from berries we picked ourselves. yum.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:02 AM   #52

We are mostly vegetarians (occasionally we'll have some seafood) and got into a pattern that we didn't like, rotating between pasta, veggie burgers, and such. When we moved to Georgia three and a half years ago, and I started working at home, I started cooking more, adding one recipe at a time until I got good at it before moving onto another. Most of what I cook is south or east Asian, or east African. Right now I have some kidney beans soaking so I can make rajma chawal tonight.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Bonus: it keeps the heat from cooking out of the kitchen.
This is especially good. We started doing things like baked potatoes on the grill for the very reason. No need to air condition a house and the blast 400 degrees in the oven for an hour.

As for cooking, we cook but in waves, we will go out. Sometimes, we’re just not into it or we haven’t done the requisite shopping . . . When we do cook, it’s pretty simple fare. Meat and vegetables. DW makes a pot of chicken vegetable soup a couple times a month and we eat a lot of salads. Main meat is chicken, but we’ll throw a steak or burger on the grill from time to time. I also have a smoker and will do some ribs or pork butt on occasion.

Definitely like eating at home better. Food is better and controlled. DW cannot have dairy and we like to stay away from grains. Very hard to do in a restaurant. Seems like most cheap meals are grains and dairy (pasta, Mac and cheese, sandwiches with cheese . . .).
Old 06-03-2018, 07:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So if you are a mushroom hunter, do you ever find and harvest boletus? We occasionally get dishes with them in Europe and the flavor is incredible! Saw fresh whole boletus in the markets there. Only see dried (porcini) in the US.

I have not yet harvested boletus mushrooms around here, as I don't know the edible ones well enough to be sure of the ID. I do harvest about 4-5 types of wild edible mushrooms that I know very well, though.........oysters, chanterelles, puffballs, shaggy manes, and lions mane (or comb-tooth mushrooms). I also harvest shiitake mushrooms that I grow on maple logs in my backyard. We get more oyster mushrooms than anything else, so we dry a lot of those in the dehydrator for use throughout the winter months. The lions mane (or comb-tooth) are a real find when we get some......they taste something like crab meat or lobster. Chanterelles are great too, but they are not always that abundant. And the puffballs are very good when young......kind of like the button mushrooms you can buy at the store. I am always trying to learn new edible mushrooms, but I won't pick and eat anything if I am not 100% certain about the ID.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #55
gone traveling

Here’s a strange one for you, unlaid chicken eggs stir fried with Thai basil

I didn’t eat it, the only eggs I eat are laid chicken eggs, wife will eat any kind of eggs including Ant Eggs

97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:38 PM   #56

I remember as a kid my mom was friends with a guy who had a chicken farm for eggs. Whenever an old chicken quit laying she would get it and make a stew. Occasionally there were unlaid eggs inside and they added a rich flavor to the stew.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Do you cook? What’d you cook today?

A Costco hotdog and soda. [emoji1408]*[emoji505]

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Currently grilling pork chops, potatoes and onions. We cut slabs of potato and onion ~3/8" thick, brush with olive oil and then season with salt and pepper... grill on medium heat... good and easy.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #59

Stir fry for dinner: coconut oil, steak, onion, asparagus, sauce. Stir fry is frequent and ever changing in my house. Protein, veggies, healthy fat.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Just cooked up a back of homemade ketchup. Beats the heck out of anything I can buy in a store. Tonight it goes on a burger.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote