Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Daily drivers are automatic but I have two 2 seat roadsters that are manual and lots of fun to drive.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My cars have been manual until about 10 years ago. was very thankful for an automatic when I had knee replacement surgery on my left leg last year. If I had still had a manual I would have been stuck at home for far too long.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #43

Oh jeeeeezzzzz....the ol' turning knob on the steering wheel. Haven't seen that for at least 30 years. The car safety folks would probably have a heart attack if they see that post.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Real men are secure enough to have their gears shifted for them.....
That's me! I have both but prefer the automatics.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:59 AM   #45

A large majority of the vehicles I've owned had manual transmissions and I'm comfortable with an RTLO-18918B but most modern automatics are functionally superior to manuals in every way. Today I own an SUV with an auto and a car with a six speed manual. The manual in the Mini is more fun to drive and more annoying in traffic. It suits the character of the car and cost less than the auto. It's also one of the uncommon examples where the manual still gets better fuel economy than the auto trans version. All of my bikes have manual transmissions and I intend that they always will but there is a new generation of auto-shifting motorcycles that might become popular.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:04 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
By the time I was 14 I was careening down the country roads in an International pick up. I had to sit forward on the seat to shift. I still remember sliding back on the seat when stopped on a hill, desperately trying to keep my foot on the clutch.

Video?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #47
Administrator

My son drives a stick - but in Japan. He drove a stick before going there, and said learning to drive on the other side of the road wasn't too hard - but the stick was really challenging. Left foot for gas and brake, right for stick...
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:29 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

We've always had at least one manual-transmission car. When we retired, we bought a "cowboy cadallic" and its an automatic and its also our only vehicle. When I was young and learning to drive, my father insisted I learn to drive a manual; we did the same with our boys. Nowadays most people do not know how to drive a manual.
Glo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #49

Left foot gas Not in Japan. When you drive on the other side...pedals the same. Stick is on the left....no problem switching back and forth for me.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Daily commute driving in LA for yrs necessitated an automatic since "stop'n'go" traffic on a stick shift basically turns driving into a left leg work-out. These days I have a Audi no-clutch manual transmission engine which I rarely use since my main horse in retirement is a Jeep Wrangler 5-speed that is simply a fun thing to drive around in: I also take it off-road and would suggest it to others as it is one of the most inexpensive and fun things to do.
GusLevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

I enjoy looking at my average and instantaneous gas mileage, having owned a Prius, where I learned a few mileage tricks.

With a stick shift it's all about RPMs. With some effort and mixed driving, I am squeezing about 38 mpg from my new Scion xD. Without paying close attention, it's about 34 mpg. You can literally see the mileage drop if you rev up to the power band (a high-ish 3500 rpm in this vehicle).

Shift in the 1600-1800 range and it just sips gas.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I offered to show her advanced skills like "downshifting", "peeling rubber", heel&toe braking, and "doughnuts" but she kept muttering about losing her license and mid-life crises.
Thanks for the laughing out loud paragraph above. I know that you are on the countdown to when your DD leaves, but I think that both of you are going to miss the other more than you know. You do so many activities together. It sounds like you enjoy each other's company and that you have been a great parent, even though you try to downplay it.

I don't know how many people watch the Amazing Race, but I really enjoy it. Anyway, they were given vehicles to drive that had standard transmissions. One of the teams is two brothers and one of the brothers had to get out of the car and push it in order to get it turned around, since neither of them knew how to drive a standard. It was hilarious! They look to be 20 something.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:36 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Left foot gas Not in Japan. When you drive on the other side...pedals the same. Stick is on the left....no problem switching back and forth for me.
I was going to say, they don't really swap the pedals, do they?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
No, instead they just pin 'em to the firewall with the runaway floormats and blame the drivers...
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
When I was younger my brother and I had motorcycles that had swapped brake / shift pedals. That made for an interesting adjustment when we traded bikes.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
No, instead they just pin 'em to the firewall with the floormats and blame the drivers...
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #57

Talk about things like pedals on the wrong side...here in the UK they put bicycle brakes in reverse to the US. Back brake is on left, front brake on the right. This has evidentely caused several Americans to bite the dust when braking hard with what they thought was the back brake...
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Manual -- the only way to fly.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #59
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Talk about things like pedals on the wrong side...here in the UK they put bicycle brakes in reverse to the US. Back brake is on left, front brake on the right. This has evidentely caused several Americans to bite the dust when braking hard with what they thought was the back brake...

...so they can appear on the next episode of "UK's Funniest Home Videos"
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #60

Mustang GT - manual (who buys an auto here)
Ranger - auto (more towing capacity)
old British roadster - manual (they only came this way)

I learned to drive in a 38 Ford, no option but to use a clutch.

Both kids have manuals. When DD went to buy her's and told the (female) salesperson what she wanted, the nice lady told her "us girls drive automatics". She lost a sale as DD went elsewhere to buy.