Join Early Retirement Today

Do you enjoy airports?
Old 04-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you enjoy airports?

So, I see a story on the local news (Tampa) that the international airport will be opening up to the nonflying public. They will allow a limited number of "guests" to pass through TSA and "enjoy" the use of all restaurants, bars, and stores in the particular concourse they select. They can only visit one concourse.
This story struck me as odd for several reasons, the biggest being I cannot stand transiting airports when I fly and always try to minimize multi-leg flights with long layovers in terminals. Granted there are a few cool terminals (Seattle comes to mind), but not enough to make me want to visit for no good reason. Second, isn't stuff way more expensive in the airport versus the real world? And this, after paying for parking and taking that shuttle bus to the terminal, makes someone want to enjoy fine dining at one of the delicious restaurants?

cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #2

I do like little airports, the kind where the largest airplane that can land there is a Piper Seneca (light twin engine).

For the airports the airlines fly out of, I'll just save myself the trip and hit myself on the head with a hammer because it feels so good when I stop. And that's a lot cheaper too.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No, I don’t particularly enjoy airports. Long walks on hard surfaces, noisy. So we have a club membership that makes layovers much more comfortable.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you enjoy airports?

Is this even a serious question? (Walt34's small airport for fun excluded).

I tolerate airports because they get me somewhere a heck of a lot faster than a car or boat.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:16 PM   #5

I would like to see an airport theme park. In particular, I think people would pay money to get on mocked-up planes, put on lifejackets and smoke hoods, jump out of the door into the emergency exit slides, etc. I actually know a lot of reasons why this is a terrible idea in practice, but a lot of people I mention it to think it would be cool know what the emergency procedures look like. Ditto for the crew-only areas, the place where they make the drug mules poop in a transparent toilet, etc.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy leaving the airport more that navigating around one.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

35+ years of business travel by air - a big fat NO to airport enjoyment.

I've slept in too many of them for hours on the floor or on a hard bench. Also sat for 12 hours in foreign airports waiting for planes that didn't show. Now that I am retired, I want nothing to do with air travel.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nope - don't enjoy airports. Too many people. Too much congestion. Too much stress.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #9

NO! And I haven't been in one since I retired. I've done my world travel and now I'm more than content to "Drive North America".
Car-Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:33 PM   #10

JFK is great. If you like wandering around and lines.
gerntz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

The Singapore Airport has an enclosed rainforest butterfly garden. That would be cool to visit, but you'd have to have the time.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

If I twist my thinking around I can see the appeal in that I see other developments with similar mixes of high end shops and overpriced food. But I can't understand why anyone would deal with the security to go to such an area in an airport as I'm sure you could find a nicer development or area in the city itself.

BTW, I'm the odd man out I guess. I still enjoy seeing new airports outside the US. I'm easily amused I guess but I still like the people watching and most airports outside the US seem to have faster security lines.
Physics Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

I do not like airports at all - I only tolerate them when I have to be there. And your post mentioning the Tampa airport struck a particular nerve with me, because I was just there a couple months ago, and was particularly upset about being ripped off for parking. We parked in the elevated parking structure there, for about an hour, having a bite to eat in one of the restaurants while we waited for a friend to arrive. The restaurant was overpriced and the food was not very good, but I expected that. What I did not expect was the $18 charge for parking when we left. Eighteen bucks for an hour, really? Good luck attracting people to come enjoy the Tampa airport! No thanks, I will pass.......
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:29 PM   #14

It's a shopping mall for transients. Going to a few tomorrow. Only because DW is against cross country driving.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #15

After I stick needles in my eyes, I enjoy browsing and dining at an airport.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I also saw that today. They are finishing up a major airport remodel in Tampa and have recruited popular local restaurants to open eateries at the airport. This is an attempt to increase traffic at the restaurants and other retailers.

It's an interesting idea and it's nice to see some out-of-the-box thinking. But I am skeptical about how successful it will be, for all the reasons stated in the previous posts.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:44 PM   #17

No.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
After I stick needles in my eyes, I enjoy browsing and dining at an airport.
And, being blind, you cannot see the prices for crappy food and goods.
davebarnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:01 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
I also saw that today. They are finishing up a major airport remodel in Tampa and have recruited popular local restaurants to open eateries at the airport. This is an attempt to increase traffic at the restaurants and other retailers.

It's an interesting idea and it's nice to see some out-of-the-box thinking. But I am skeptical about how successful it will be, for all the reasons stated in the previous posts.
Well, thereís the security issues too. Usually they donít let you through security unless you have a boarding pass which means you have a ticket.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

From about 10 miles away they are tolerable. Unless under the departure or landing corridor, then add another 50 miles.