Join Early Retirement Today

Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Do you find that your mind cant keep up with Inflation?

Yesterday I took my sons ailing CRV into the dealer and discovered it needed nearly 2 grand of repairs. Yes, you read that right -2 grand. I knew it was bad when they hadn’t called by 4PM, so I called them. The Mrs and I had already discussed how much we would be willing to put into a car with 134,000 miles it. “Oh Mr RayinPenn we were just about to call you... “ Bottom line lots of suspension stuff and front brakes. I could have found a less expensive mechanic or just sold the car as is but, the old gal is a great cold weather dorm parking lot queen. Starts easily and is clean, has new tires, battery, now new front and rear brakes and all that other new front end stuff. Our dream goal is the car last to his graduation - he’s a junior. Probably 8,000-12,000 miles over the next 20 months. I hear CRVs have been known to do 200,000 miles.

Reality: two thousand dollars can and has been a bad day at the dentist. Still it is a shock to this old guys system. It’s not that we don’t see some big numbers in our lives. This semester Cool Hand’s ‘all in’ college cost will be roughly $25,000 and believe me I know that is quite a bargain but, still it 37 times what I paid. My first semester at college cost $230, almost a tenth of this repair. Books were always under $100. Now its easily $100 a book. Funny but that $230 was big money nearly 50 years ago.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had the Nissan dealer quote suspension repairs and we took a pass. The next time we took it to our trusted mechanic and he said it did not need replacing just yet. 18 months later he repaired it for 40% of the dealers quote.

But I agree with the rampant inflation. The only saving grace is that there are many alternatives now that did not exist back then.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Had dinner with a niece last night, and we talked a little about college costs. A semester for me was under $500. Some of the numbers being thrown out for her buddies were not pretty.

The VWs I drove were under $500 at the time.

I would take the car to someone other than a dealer, in most cases you can do better. But 2 grand ain't what it used to be! There will likely be a payoff for you down the road.

The problem with old car is it remains an old car no matter how much you spend on repairs.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:05 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Yep, my first year of college, tuition, books, dorm, etc was $1500. I had saved $5000 for my college costs. Didn't quite have enough to finish, so left for about 2 years and worked. Got married in the meantime. Finally went back and finished when we had saved the money again.

We have found dealer repair shop are always higher than our local mechanic.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:56 AM   #5

Keep the CRV. I bought one years ago, It had 80K at the time. I drove it past 190K. When I traded it in, it was still mechanically solid and trouble free. I loved the all wheel drive, the included "picnic table," and the fairly useless (but better than nothing) cooler.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:37 AM   #6

Dang $2000 is a lot.
I'm looking at the new 2020 Audi RS6 Wagon .. Sticker Shock .. $112,745.00. lol no Thanks.

https://www.caranddriver.com/audi/rs6-avant
Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Reality: two thousand dollars can and has been a bad day at the dentist. Still it is a shock to this old guys system.
Compare the $2000 to the payments for a new vehicle, even a late model used one. After 4-6 months, the $2000 will seem to be a bargain. Also , remember a newer vehicle (assuming you replace it with a newer one) will probably mean higher insurance rates, and higher tag fees. And more depreciation for the next few years.

You essentially own a vehicle whose depreciation is minimal. Not bad.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Home repairs. Getting new roof and siding quotes.

My head is spinning.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

Inflation does sneak up on you.
I wasn't paying attention at the grocery store and handed the young lady a $20 when checking out. I mean how could grabbing a couple things cost more than $20? I had to fish out two more twenties and a five.
$2k for brakes and suspension ? What suspension parts were bad?
Old 08-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

If you like sticker shock, the dealer is a good place to go. We have a friend who operates an independent shop and he takes very good care of us. He looks for ways to save money and he recommends only repairs that are actually needed. We consider ourselves to be extremely lucky to have him.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I struggle with the new costs of certain items, too. That said, I'd get a second opinion on the suspension and brake work at a trusted independent mechanic. Especially the suspension work may be discretionary. And brake work is often inflated. You can buy the parts for peanuts at a place like Rock Auto and the labor is not that great to justify the costs.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

$2000 is cheap compared to having to get a new car. But as other have s aid, it is worth getting a second opinion.

When DW scraped her car along a guardrail, we were quoted over $6000 to repair it. The frame was fine, engine compartment was fine, but front bumper, headlight, quarter panel, and door all sustained damage. The shop also told us that is we submitted a claim, due to the age of the car (a 2011) its value was just a couple of thousand higher and the insurance company would likely label the car totaled.

Fortunately through our social circles a friend who used to be a collision repair mechanic but still did that work on weekends to pick up a few extra bucks took a look and said $6000 is crazy, I can get the parts for less and can do it all for $1500, including repainting. We took him up of the offer since the car has low mileage (60K) and DW loves it. He worked in it over 2 weekends and the car looks like new.

I definitely a natural introvert, but I have learned it is great to make friends with folks who have skills.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:10 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My brand new 2019 Chevy Impala was 45 grand out the door.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #14

[QUOTE=travelover;2291605 I'd get a second opinion on the suspension and brake work at a trusted independent mechanic. Especially the suspension work may be discretionary. And brake work is often inflated. You can buy the parts for peanuts at a place like Rock Auto and the labor is not that great to justify the costs.[/QUOTE]

+1. Two grand sounds way high for suspension and brakes. I definitely would have taken it to an independent mechanic before I'd pay 2 grand to a dealer for that. Also, it seems to me that if the suspension was that bad on the car, you or your son would have noticed it before the latest issue. You may have been able to go another year or two easily before having suspension work done.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

My jeanie wants an Lamborghini... we can afford the low end @200K, but with annual mileage @ 1000, the cost comes to $200/mile. Trying to convince her to go for a Lincoln @ 46K. We'll see... She doesn't care much for the color selection.

Told her...Decide now... prices may be going up.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, DW just dropped 50k on a jeep Wrangler. That's factory not modified.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 01:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Is this the same car that hit a deer? http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2244139 Are the new repairs maybe related to that incident? I think I'd trade it in--let your son finish college with a newer car that will see him into his future.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Home repairs. Getting new roof and siding quotes.

My head is spinning.

Joe had my roof done perhaps 2 years ago- possibly most stressful experience of my life.. check bb and at least 3 recent references
Old 08-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Is this the same car that hit a deer? http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2244139 Are the new repairs maybe related to that incident? I think I'd trade it in--let your son finish college with a newer car that will see him into his future.

Yep, and i am considering it I’ll see how she feels after the work.
Old 08-31-2019, 02:46 PM   #20

Was it suspension stuff, such as new struts? Or related to steering parts that would not pass a PA inspection? If struts are leaking, I believe they won't pass a PA inspection either.

Almost three years ago, my son picked up a 2011 Escape (65K miles) for $6K but had to immediately put in $2K for it to pass the PA inspection. But around here, AWD vehicles go for a premium, something to do with the lake effect snows we are prone to get ( like 50+ inches around Christmas 2017.
RE2Boys is online now   Reply With Quote