Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. And even better if I can figure out how to incorporate another favorite from the ER Community Rules "People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi."

I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...
It's not my quote. I'm paraphrasing something a mentor taught me back in the 90's. He probably would have tagged himself a slow learner too, but it really is just a case of learning in a different mode.

Don't know if that quote can be attributed to someone, but I'd say it is yours until someone claims it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the bluebird of attitude occasionally visits this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluebird.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi. Some people here may be sick of the same type of questions over and over for which there are general big-picture answers and that's natural, but many new posters are still in the little-picture, specific questions and answers and may still be developing financial confidence. I know I was.

So hell yes we are grumpy, trade that lexus in on a 3-year-old honda civic, and if you can't say something nice about someone then come sit by me.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So hell yes we are grumpy, trade that lexus in on a 3-year-old honda civic, and if you can't say something nice about someone then come sit by me.
Feever, you're hot today!

BTW, you didn't recently lose your job at the dentist office did you?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Feever, you're hot today!

BTW, you didn't recently lose your job at the dentist office did you?
Did you read my text messages?? There's a reason he told me to call him Dr. Feelgood....
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It appears the OP may have already moved on, shame on (some of) us...
Color me surprised-- for about the 4500th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.
Or the water cannon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi.
As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm 68 and don't think I'm grumpy at all. One thing that may be different than 40 years ago though is that I don't care much if I hurt your feelings.

Now, get off my damn lawn...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.
Your recollection is correct. I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!

Breathing down our neck

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!
Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #70
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.
You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.
Ah, thanks.

It's making unreasonable assumptions without my concurrence...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #72

Quote:
How convenient for you that you can post this and stay on topic...

Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ah, thanks.

Just tell it to get off your lawn

Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
How convenient for you that you can post this and stay on topic...
We'll never see your first post again either!

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Now, get off my damn lawn...
Be careful, I'll be back with my dog and you know what he is going to do
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #76

Quote:
We'll never see your first post again either!
You mean this one? Home Again

Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #77
Administrator

Nords, I believe this is your first post:

You retirees w/ 10+ years experience, what's next?

Here's mine, Scaling back lifestyles

And, here's my "Hi, I Am" post: 1000 days

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You mean this one? Home Again
Quote:
Nords, I believe this is your first post:
You retirees w/ 10+ years experience, what's next?
Here's mine, Scaling back lifestyles
And, here's my "Hi, I Am" post: 1000 days
Thanks-- I bow to your superior search skills.

I'm not sure whether I made a "Hi, I am..." post or not. I'm pretty sure I started lurking in late 2002. I may have posted an intro and then deleted it later (Cut-Throat inspired a short period of infectious paranoia) but there sure have been a lot of discussion boards over the last decade.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I recall that my Dad got less grumpy with age. I think that retiring from a stressful job was a big factor. I think I am less grumpy, but then you probably need to check with DH for an accurate assessment.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #80

Finally... a medical excuse!Why do some men get grouchier as they age? - Health - Men's health | NBC News