Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
target2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. And even better if I can figure out how to incorporate another favorite from the ER Community Rules "People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi."

I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...
It's not my quote. I'm paraphrasing something a mentor taught me back in the 90's. He probably would have tagged himself a slow learner too, but it really is just a case of learning in a different mode.

Don't know if that quote can be attributed to someone, but I'd say it is yours until someone claims it.
__________________

__________________
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,584
Yes, the bluebird of attitude occasionally visits this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluebird.jpg (34.2 KB, 2 views)
__________________

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi. Some people here may be sick of the same type of questions over and over for which there are general big-picture answers and that's natural, but many new posters are still in the little-picture, specific questions and answers and may still be developing financial confidence. I know I was.

So hell yes we are grumpy, trade that lexus in on a 3-year-old honda civic, and if you can't say something nice about someone then come sit by me.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
So hell yes we are grumpy, trade that lexus in on a 3-year-old honda civic, and if you can't say something nice about someone then come sit by me.
Feever, you're hot today!

BTW, you didn't recently lose your job at the dentist office did you?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Feever, you're hot today!

BTW, you didn't recently lose your job at the dentist office did you?
Did you read my text messages?? There's a reason he told me to call him Dr. Feelgood....
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It appears the OP may have already moved on, shame on (some of) us...
Color me surprised-- for about the 4500th time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.
Or the water cannon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi.
As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
mickeyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Texas~29N/98W
Posts: 5,880
I'm 68 and don't think I'm grumpy at all. One thing that may be different than 40 years ago though is that I don't care much if I hurt your feelings.

Now, get off my damn lawn...
__________________
Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:48 PM   #68
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.
Your recollection is correct. I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!

Breathing down our neck
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!
Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #70
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.
You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.
Ah, thanks.

It's making unreasonable assumptions without my concurrence...
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:51 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's making unreasonable assumptions without my concurrence...
How convenient for you that you can post this and stay on topic...
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Ah, thanks.

It's making unreasonable assumptions without my concurrence...
Just tell it to get off your lawn

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
How convenient for you that you can post this and stay on topic...
We'll never see your first post again either!
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Now, get off my damn lawn...
Be careful, I'll be back with my dog and you know what he is going to do
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #76
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We'll never see your first post again either!
You mean this one? Home Again
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #77
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,846
Nords, I believe this is your first post:

You retirees w/ 10+ years experience, what's next?

Here's mine, Scaling back lifestyles

And, here's my "Hi, I Am" post: 1000 days
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You mean this one? Home Again
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Nords, I believe this is your first post:
You retirees w/ 10+ years experience, what's next?
Here's mine, Scaling back lifestyles
And, here's my "Hi, I Am" post: 1000 days
Thanks-- I bow to your superior search skills.

I'm not sure whether I made a "Hi, I am..." post or not. I'm pretty sure I started lurking in late 2002. I may have posted an intro and then deleted it later (Cut-Throat inspired a short period of infectious paranoia) but there sure have been a lot of discussion boards over the last decade.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:34 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 265
I recall that my Dad got less grumpy with age. I think that retiring from a stressful job was a big factor. I think I am less grumpy, but then you probably need to check with DH for an accurate assessment.
__________________
FIYes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #80
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Finally... a medical excuse!Why do some men get grouchier as they age? - Health - Men's health | NBC News
__________________

__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.