Old 12-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Do you get grumpier as you age?
Decidedly
Noticeably
Deliberately
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #42
gone traveling

Might depend on what direction the stock market is moving on a particular day; for example today's futures are leaving me feeling grumpier than yesterday
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

dang right I do
drb391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Hell no.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:49 AM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hell no.
Hey, you mods seem to have some days where you are grumpier than others when is comes to making pigs fly
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:41 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about me, but DW does get grumpier every day so I would have to say that the answer is yes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Piss off. Quit bothering me.
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Hey, you mods seem to have some days where you are grumpier than others when is comes to making pigs fly
That's known as "group grumpiness". Individually we're each just like cuddly teddy bears.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I think most of us get grumpy or tend to get grumpy if we no longer perceive much reward in being more socially acceptable. When we are working, or raising children, or dating or any one of life's many situations where we want to please others, or at least appear to be reasonable and well controlled, most of us will curb the desire to let fly with our more negative feelings.

But once retired, unless we have relationships that we are at least somewhat unsure of, or want to keep smooth and rewarding for all participants, we can let ourselves go. I see the process as somewhat similar to letting our grooming go.

In my case I want my kids and their wives to like me, I want my girlfriend to like me, I want my granddaughter to like me, I want my friends to like me, and I want them to experience their interactions with me to be as rewarding as I can make them. I want all of these people to think, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else who is a realistic possibility. Though family is a sticky relationship, boyfriends are just not that hard to get. And we want all these interactions to be pleasant

I also do not want to make life hard for clerks or checkers or wait staff or anyone else that I might come into contact with. And when I manage this, I find that people tend to be very nice to me in turn. It does take energy expenditure, and I cannot always do it.

I wish I had always felt this way, my whole life. But alas, I did not.

Ha
Old 12-22-2012, 06:37 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Do you get grumpier as you age?
Depends...

solves some problems...
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxcvlkj View Post
majority of retirees here have been kind and helpful. however, there has been a couple that seemed irritated with some of my questions.
which leads to this question, do you get grumpier the older you get or is it a myth?
It's interesting that you choose to relate the responses to your questions with the demographics of your posters. Could it be that the response to your questions is directly correlated with the quality of... your questions? Maybe the reaction to your questions doesn't have anything to do with us-- maybe it's all caused by you!

The thought process might be something like this: Us older members have seen your types of questions so many times on this board that we're tired of dealing with them. So few new members bother to lurk for a while and read the existing material that it's like the plot of a "50 First Dates" movie. We've seen so many other new posters crash and burn on the same questions (and their reactions to the responses) that we see little reason to invest any further time & energy in entertaining your queries. You'll get offended by the responses, then you'll put up some sort of passive-aggressive thread like this one, and then you'll flounce off to some other board where you can complain how grumpy we are over here... and the cycle repeats itself anew. There are enough new members here who take the time to read & learn before they post that we don't have to spend coaching time on posters like you.

Hypothetically speaking, anyway.

After you've read the FAQ archives and a half-dozen of the books on the recommended reading list, and perhaps browsed the Bogleheads wiki for some of the keywords you're curious about, then maybe we could try again.

By the way, maybe you should try out this "age = grumpier" research on a few of your older bosses at work. I'm sure you'd get objective data to further your analysis. If your CEO and your board of directors are old enough then it'd probably save time to start with them.

I'm 52 years old, but my spouse claims that I still have the cognition of a 25-year-old. I'm pretty sure that's a compliment.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:44 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

It appears the OP may have already moved on, shame on (some of) us...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

OP asked an interesting question, and some interesting answers have emerged...no shame necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
It appears the OP may have already moved on, shame on (some of) us...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #54
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...(snip)...Us older members have seen your types of questions so many times on this board that we're tired of dealing with them. So few new members bother to lurk for a while and read the existing material that it's like the plot of a "50 First Dates" movie. We've seen so many other new posters crash and burn on the same questions (and their reactions to the responses) that we see little reason to invest any further time & energy in entertaining your queries. You'll get offended by the responses, then you'll put up some sort of passive-aggressive thread like this one, and then you'll flounce off to some other board where you can complain how grumpy we are over here... and the cycle repeats itself anew.
+1 Well said ...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
OP asked an interesting question, and some interesting answers have emerged...no shame necessary
The OP called me out (twice) on his car % of income thread, so I assume I was one of the people he was talking about on this thread. I felt bad for him, but I haven't lost any sleep over it...

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Oh I remember that now. I figured the OP was just grumpy him/herself Glad you're not losing sleep.

Amethyst

Quote:
The OP called me out (twice) on his car % of income thread, so I assume I was one of the people he was talking about on this thread. I felt bad for him, but I haven't lost any sleep over it...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #57
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The OP may not have left the building permanently. Based on his introductory post he may participate on the forum only during his (sickening) working hours. Odds are he'll be back when he returns from the holidays.

As to anyone needing to be ashamed on this thread: If the OP doesn't want to hear the answers he shouldn't have asked the question.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Went back and read the OP's other threads. I think his post in this thread was innocent, not knowing the depth and breadth of responses he could receive on any topic. He's about the age of my kid, and I can imagine the same questions coming up. In fact, young buck has called me "grumps" a time or two.

Now a word for the OP. There is a signal to noise ratio on any board. When you go on a tech board you'll run into a flame every now and then, but you're arguing about RAM and motherboards. So it is of no consequence really. On this board you have a diverse set of retired and non-retired, strong-willed, people. It's about their life really.

In your post about car cost, you ran into a situation where experienced retirees were trying to bring you to your senses about early-retirement. Some replies gentle, others a little rough. You even had answers that supported your non-LBYM car choice. I didn't read anything really off the charts there. Even if there were, hit the ignore button.

There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.
Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. And even better if I can figure out how to incorporate another favorite from the ER Community Rules "People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi."

I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...

Old 12-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Quote:
Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...
+1