Do you get grumpier as you age?

majority of retirees here have been kind and helpful. however, there has been a couple that seemed irritated with some of my questions.
which leads to this question, do you get grumpier the older you get or is it a myth?
It's interesting that you choose to relate the responses to your questions with the demographics of your posters. Could it be that the response to your questions is directly correlated with the quality of... your questions? Maybe the reaction to your questions doesn't have anything to do with us-- maybe it's all caused by you!

The thought process might be something like this: Us older members have seen your types of questions so many times on this board that we're tired of dealing with them. So few new members bother to lurk for a while and read the existing material that it's like the plot of a "50 First Dates" movie. We've seen so many other new posters crash and burn on the same questions (and their reactions to the responses) that we see little reason to invest any further time & energy in entertaining your queries. You'll get offended by the responses, then you'll put up some sort of passive-aggressive thread like this one, and then you'll flounce off to some other board where you can complain how grumpy we are over here... and the cycle repeats itself anew. There are enough new members here who take the time to read & learn before they post that we don't have to spend coaching time on posters like you.

Hypothetically speaking, anyway.

After you've read the FAQ archives and a half-dozen of the books on the recommended reading list, and perhaps browsed the Bogleheads wiki for some of the keywords you're curious about, then maybe we could try again.

By the way, maybe you should try out this "age = grumpier" research on a few of your older bosses at work. I'm sure you'd get objective data to further your analysis. If your CEO and your board of directors are old enough then it'd probably save time to start with them.

I'm 52 years old, but my spouse claims that I still have the cognition of a 25-year-old. I'm pretty sure that's a compliment.

It appears the OP may have already moved on, shame on (some of) us...

OP asked an interesting question, and some interesting answers have emerged...no shame necessary :flowers:

...(snip)...Us older members have seen your types of questions so many times on this board that we're tired of dealing with them. So few new members bother to lurk for a while and read the existing material that it's like the plot of a "50 First Dates" movie. We've seen so many other new posters crash and burn on the same questions (and their reactions to the responses) that we see little reason to invest any further time & energy in entertaining your queries. You'll get offended by the responses, then you'll put up some sort of passive-aggressive thread like this one, and then you'll flounce off to some other board where you can complain how grumpy we are over here... and the cycle repeats itself anew.
+1 Well said :D ...

OP asked an interesting question, and some interesting answers have emerged...no shame necessary :flowers:
The OP called me out (twice) on his car % of income thread, so I assume I was one of the people he was talking about on this thread. I felt bad for him, but I haven't lost any sleep over it...

Oh I remember that now. I figured the OP was just grumpy him/herself :LOL:Glad you're not losing sleep.

Amethyst

The OP called me out (twice) on his car % of income thread, so I assume I was one of the people he was talking about on this thread. I felt bad for him, but I haven't lost any sleep over it...

The OP may not have left the building permanently. Based on his introductory post he may participate on the forum only during his (sickening) working hours. Odds are he'll be back when he returns from the holidays.

As to anyone needing to be ashamed on this thread: If the OP doesn't want to hear the answers he shouldn't have asked the question.

Went back and read the OP's other threads. I think his post in this thread was innocent, not knowing the depth and breadth of responses he could receive on any topic. He's about the age of my kid, and I can imagine the same questions coming up. In fact, young buck has called me "grumps" a time or two.

Now a word for the OP. There is a signal to noise ratio on any board. When you go on a tech board you'll run into a flame every now and then, but you're arguing about RAM and motherboards. So it is of no consequence really. On this board you have a diverse set of retired and non-retired, strong-willed, people. It's about their life really.

In your post about car cost, you ran into a situation where experienced retirees were trying to bring you to your senses about early-retirement. Some replies gentle, others a little rough. You even had answers that supported your non-LBYM car choice. I didn't read anything really off the charts there. Even if there were, hit the ignore button.

There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.

There's a lot of wisdom here. But, if you ask for advice, you will get the fire hose.
Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. And even better if I can figure out how to incorporate another favorite from the ER Community Rules "People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi."

I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...

Last edited:

Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...
+1

Well put, I might use that as a signature quote if you don't object. And even better if I can figure out how to incorporate another favorite from the ER Community Rules "People who are professionals in a variety of fields post on this forum and share their general knowledge. Many of them are brilliant. Some are doofi."

I've had the fire hose turned on me here a few times, without realizing I'd done it to myself at first. I'm a slow learner...
It's not my quote. I'm paraphrasing something a mentor taught me back in the 90's. He probably would have tagged himself a slow learner too, but it really is just a case of learning in a different mode.

Don't know if that quote can be attributed to someone, but I'd say it is yours until someone claims it.:dance:

Yes, the bluebird of attitude occasionally visits this forum.

Attachments

• bluebird.jpg
    bluebird.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 2
I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi. Some people here may be sick of the same type of questions over and over for which there are general big-picture answers and that's natural, but many new posters are still in the little-picture, specific questions and answers and may still be developing financial confidence. I know I was.

So hell yes we are grumpy, trade that lexus in on a 3-year-old honda civic, and if you can't say something nice about someone then come sit by me.

Color me surprised-- for about the 4500th time.

Or the water cannon?

I lurked here for a long time before posting, reading posts for entertainment and an occasional nugget of new knowledge that was useful to me (i.e., I even read threads on how to determine hvac requirements for the entertainment value because who doesn't enjoy a good BTU calculation). I read enough hi I am posts to know what was courteous to post there and enough random posts to know it would annoy folks if I used dryer sheets only once (or bought a Lexus in my 20s). I know I did NOT go to bogleheads, track our expenses, read any faqs here, or figure out our net worth before posting here--sorry, but those things imho are more likely to happen after our newbie eyes are opened here to the possibilities and realities of er and fi.
As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.

As I recall, you also avoided asking stupid questions or lecturing us on the errors of our ways (or the wisdom of yours)... but I can't get the forum software to display the first post of people who are up above four figures in their post count.

Your recollection is correct. I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/breathing-down-our-neck-30078.html#post556995

I just used the Advanced Search, and came up with this "Hi, I Am..." post for BestWifeEver which might have been her first post, or nearly so. What a nice post!
Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.

Thanks.

You would think that vBulletin would be able to find a list of posts and sort it by date, but apparently all of the search code is broken. I just tried the advanced search to show all posts by "Nords" older than a year, and the software only managed to find 992 of them.

You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.

Last edited:
You have to modify your search, since the software assumes you don't want to wade through the contents of more than 1000 posts. For example, for BestWifeEver's post, I looked for her posts in the "Hi, I Am" forum.
Ah, thanks.

It's making unreasonable assumptions without my concurrence...

Back
Top Bottom