Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you Have a Car Emergency Kit?
Nothing at all. I'll take my chances. 2 4.44%
My emergency kit is my cell phone and roadside assistance. 7 15.56%
My emergency kit is my cell phone and I call someone else 2 4.44%
Yes. My phone and I carry some stuff..but not a designated kit. 17 37.78%
Yes. I ready to rock'n'roll. Totally prepared 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
............... But I remember as we drove off, the jumper cable was melted. I was thinking to myself, something didn't work right. I think they connected both pos and negatives, and not on a ground.
Some jumper cables that are sold are not really up to the task. Starting a car can draw a couple of hundred amps and if the wires are aluminum and / or small gauge, you get the melting. A way to avoid this is to hook the batteries together and let the running car charge up the battery of the dead car for 5 or 10 minutes. That way when you start the dead car, most of the current comes from its own battery and not so much through the cables.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
So, did the Slime and temp/mini air compressor repair the flat enough to get you going back on track?

I don't have a that yet, but was thinking of that or Fix-a-Flat in case the tire goes and the situation is right to wait for AAA.
I got the flat in my truck with a spare so everything went ok. Haven't had a flat yet in the car, but various threads in the corvette forum gave me a heads up on how to handle it when the time comes. The threads said several years ago that the slime/ fix a flat works but screws up air pressure sensors. My emergency setup is about 8 years old - I need to research this for a better fix

Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I got the flat in my truck with a spare so everything went ok. Haven't had a flat yet in the car, but various threads in the corvette forum gave me a heads up on how to handle it when the time comes. The threads said several years ago that the slime/ fix a flat works but screws up air pressure sensors. My emergency setup is about 8 years old - I need to research this for a better fix

Thx. I've read mixed messages about the slime/fix-a-flat. Like what you said, primarily they work but could mess things up.

Mainly, they seem to say that the stuff inside is water soluable (sp?), so if you bring it in to a car place and have that washed out soon then that's okay. Otherwise it may mess things up. I've also read that some places refuse to work on cars that were treated with slime/fix-a-flat.

I think my approach is I'll still have them in the car for when it's not safe or just too inconvenient (in a rush to an important event, etc.) to wait for AAA. For example, if I get a flat in a desolate place in the middle of the night, the heck with waiting, I'll try the slime/fix-a-flat and get the heck out of there and worry about the effect on my tire later.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here in the frozen north I carry "stuff" in the winter. I sometimes travel back roads that may see 1 vehicle a day. You're often 5 miles from a dwelling even if you know which way to go to find one, so the rule is "stay with your car". At 40 below, prepare or die.

1) jack and spare tire (check spare pressure regularly)
2) extra clothing
3) candles for warmth
4) shovel
5) cell phone, most places have coverage
6) tow rope for getting out of ditches, although since these trips are in a 4-wheel drive truck, so far I've been doing the towing.
I've never had to use 2 - 5

While I own booster cables I seldom carry them. If your battery is in good shape (and if it isn't, why not replace it) and you avoid silly mistakes like leaving your lights on, they just take up space. If I do forget the lights, that's why god invented tow trucks.

I sometimes take my 50 year old car on long (2,000+ miles) trips in the summer. It has a totally different kit.
1) spare water pump
2) spare distributor
3) spare generator
4) spare fuel pump
5) basic tools
Nothing like a repair at the side of the road.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

For all seasons I carry tools, flares, belts, water, first aid kit, breaker bar, etc. In winter I add shovel, blankets, and kitty litter. I drive 100 miles one way each week to see my mother and this winter people were stranded overnight in the blizzard on the highway I use.

My ultimate emergency backup is the cell phone call to DH and AAA. When I got a flat and wasn't able to loosen the lug nuts even with the breaker bar I called both to see who could get there first. DH "won."
Old 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Another 'tool' to carry - 'GOOG-411' programmed in your cell phone. (800-466-4411).

Better than having a phone book in the car, it uses voice recognition (that works) to look up any business you might need near the town you are in, and it will dial the call for you if you ask.

-ERD50
Old 07-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Another 'tool' to carry - 'GOOG-411' programmed in your cell phone. (800-466-4411).
Terrific idea. It took me less than a second to recognize the wisdom behind this suggestion. Thank you.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:02 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I have never thought of it as a kit. but I guess that's what I have (collectively) riding around with me in the trunk~ First aid kit, blanket, jumper cables, maps galore, basic tools (screw driver, wrenches, pliers, socket set, vice grip etc), flash light/beacon. Oh yea, and a compact shovel...the shovel is there because I got stuck in the beach sand in Florida when I was a teen (1962) (making out with Cheryl H...OK?) and a shovel would have avoided many prying questions from parents and others.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:26 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
On Oahu, I've got AAA, the cell, fix-a-flat, jumpers and money for TheBus - and an umbrella. Now ask me about my hurricane kit at home.
We don't carry any survival gear in our cars.

But our hurricane bag is a different issue...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote